Humbling! And one item just plain dumb! :-(

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13th 04, 02:43 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Don Parker wrote:
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo wrote:

John Ward wrote:

Hi Doc,

Good points, and well made.

No he hasn't, for a while now.

Ahhhh, he'll show up! John...the cat on the monitor, still doing
'co-pilot' service? ;-)

Oh gawd - there's more than one?? (:-))

I think they write those SATA drive and RAID tech pieces for folks
with the proverbial MIT credential! I gave up [for now anyway...] and
returned forthwith to my IDE UDMA 133 drives!

Rumor has it the spec's or expect's for the SATA's are as trustworthy as if
uttered by Geo. W. himself!
In other words, if it sounds good, say it, you lie, I'll swear to
it...................

Cheers'n Beers Doc.. [_])
Don

Hey! RAS 'old-hands' now showing up! ;-) Hello Don...I think I might
have confused John with 'your' cat...that pic of the cat [pre-diet] on
the monitor might have been yours! Confirm ....if you please...

As for 'Greasy', well, I was first reminded, my retort wise, of the
words of 'Calvera' [Eli Wallach] in the classic 'Mag 7' flick...you
know..."Generosity! That was my first mistake! I leave these people
something extra and they hire these men to make trouble for me...me, a
man who wants no trouble!"

[suddenly...vexed and quizzical albeit from the same classic flick!]

Greasy [doing 'Calvera' ...] "What I don't understand is why a man like
you took the job [*passing out newbie material] in the first
place...c'mon why?"

Doc Tony: [doing 'Vic' ... Steve McQueen] "Well, Greasey-man, it's like
a fella' I once knew in El Paso...one day he just took off all his
clothes and jumped in a mess of cactus...I asked him the same
question...WHY?!"

Greasy: [still whizzed off!] "Annnnnnd?"

Doc Tony: [merely following script...]"He said it seemed like a good
idea at the time!"

;-) [*great flick, that!]

Anyway, that out of the way, back to SATA [*Serial ATA] drives and RAID.
The new motherboard I got [Soyo SY-P4VTP w/800FSB] also has two on-board
SATA connectors in addition to the normal UDMA 133 PCI/IDE pins but when
I hooked up the two SATA drives and had the BIOS open to the Win XP 'CD'
as the first drive to then hopefully get an O/S on one of the SATA
drives, the thing kept closing down with a message that the CD
containing the XP O/S "...could not find any IDE drives" and so it shut
down forthwith! So HOW does one get an O/S on a SATA drive. I got a
great deal on that WD740 'Raptor' '10K' RPM 74 gig SATA and it now sits
here because I can't get the thing to load an O/S! Translation: Dunno
how! IDE stuff, I decently savvy after many years 'under the hood' and
tinkering since the days of the now ancient X286 stuff but today's SATA
drives and RAID array fiddlings ...whew! :-(

And many websites seem to de facto 'assume' that when you get there you
already savvy a good deal about things to know about SATA and RAID and
unfortunately they proceed from that premise! Result...at least for
me...lost rather quickly! Ahhhh...hopefully comes a friendly email with
some needed SATA/RAID O/S hook-up advice [hint!]. Must say though that
for all the sims, the IDE drives have done great service over the years
but I'm hearing that SATA drives will be the 'wave of the future' and
that '150' SATA transfer rate over the present max 133 UDMA drives is
just the SATA tip of the iceberg...so they say anyway.

Doc Tony
;-)

[from afar...]

John Ward [-VERY serious-like...] "Can you fly this plane and land it?"

Remember that one, Don, and who was in RAS that had some 10 'cooler'
fans in their system! Talk about the flick 'AIRPLANE' indeed! Count 'em,
10 mini props so to speak! CPU, PS and video card 'not' included in the
tally mind you! ;-)