A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Commercial Glider Operations Insurance Increases?

Old April 30th 19, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Default Commercial Glider Operations Insurance Increases?

A commercial glider operation I am familiar with, but don't fly out of, is suspending operations for 2019 because;

"... due to commercial operation insurance increase. There were some fatalities last year and they increased premiums 400% or so. They said they might form a club but nothing this year."

There have been no glider fatalities, or even incidents, at this gliderport for as long as I have known it so I assume that the fatality reference is about the overall fatality rate at all gliderports, commercial or otherwise..

Anyone else seen this insurance increase happening? Has there been an increase in fatalities at commercial gliderports as compared to non-commercial?

It would not be welcome news if there is a trend towards fewer gliderports due to insurance.

- John OHM Ω

PS - This gliderport is looking into starting a new glider club at that airport so that a less expensive insurance through the SSA can be purchased.
Old April 30th 19, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Not surprised. If anything, I'm surprised that we are able to still get affordable (depending on your definition) insurance for our sport. My team was supporting operations for a major aviation carrier for many years, and among other things we supported the loss reporting application. The combined ratios were ... eye opening. Typically, the Underwriting team develops rating by class codes, and being a relatively small risk pool, it only takes a couple of incidents to blow the rating scheme out of the water. Assuming that glider FBOs that offer rides and instruction are all in the same class, IIRC last year, there was a 2-32 accident which claimed 3 lives and the L-23 accident which claimed 2. That's a couple of million in losses right off the bat (not to mention untold pain for the families). Let's say there were 50 glider FBOs each paying $20K in premiums last year... you get the picture.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old May 1st 19, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

What commercial gliding operation is suspending operations for 2019?