Marfa Cross Country for CA$H

Old June 11th 07, 12:24 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

surely a Paris Hilton cup would be out and return?!

Bagger
Old June 11th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Default Marfa Cross Country for CA$H

wrote:

yes, we will call it the Paris Hilton Cup!!!

Or, "B-Cup", for short.

Jack
Old June 11th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

oh dear the thread creep is going wild. lets try to get back to Burts
offer. Marfa is a great place to put some distance on. Not only that
but Burt is a great host and will work to make your stay FUN! I hope
to take the Cherokee down there next summer when I dont have to be at
work. Ill have to get the trailer fixed up a little and find an O2
bottle. See you in Texas,

Tony

Old May 1st 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about in 2020? What do you figure are the best months, anyway?

Hope all is well. Been flying Charlie's ship at X52 and some toeing at X51.
Old May 2nd 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, June 8, 2007 at 9:29:10 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
A dollar a mile in 2007.

I see some interest in classic "straight out" cross country flying
(and the art of crewing). Classic XC soaring for distance as done
by Robert Kronfeld, Philip Wills, Woody Brown, Dick Johnson, Fritz
Compton, Stan Smith, Al Parker, Wally Scott, Ben Greene, Henry Combs,
Mike Koerner, Hans Werner Grosse, to name a few.

Bring your sailplane to Marfa in west Texas USA, site of many US
National Contests and the first World Soaring Contest held in the USA
(1970). Marfa (MRF) airport is almost 5,000' msl high on a grassy
plateau surrounded by scenic mountains (El Paso sectional). Big sky.
Big thermals.

Buy an aerotow from me then soar the famous "Marfa Dry Line" in a
northerly direction like the "free distance" days in the US National
Contests of the 1960's and 1970's.

Head for New Mexico, Kansas and beyond. No "Cat's Cradle", no
"Bikle's Basket", no triangles, no rectangles, nor any 'tangles, -
just GO!

The farthest soaring flight in 2007 wins one dollar per each mile
"straight out" from Marfa.

For example: Soar straight out from Marfa 500 miles, win 500
dollars. It's been done many times before, just not lately since
there has not been a soaring operation here until I arrived in 2001.

You don't need the hottest ship, indeed, vintage wood and first
generation glass sailplanes will do quite well if you start early and
fly downwind on our dry line or during our wave season. See "Soaring"
magazine OCT 1960 for Harland Ross' article on "Soaring the Marfa Dew
Point Front" in his RJ-6. (I told you this was "classic soaring"!)

So check Dr. Jack for Oklahoma - Texas. I have a Marfa Blipspot.
Solar Noon is 2:00 PM Central Daylight Time. Sunset is almost 9:00 PM
in June - July - August.

Come and try it, but please bring your own crew.

We soar year-round. Let me know in advance that you are coming to
Marfa. Email me about your plans and dreams at

We'll show you a good time!

Burt "the facilitator" Compton
Marfa, west Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

Burt, you left out Harry Senn, don't forget his 1-26 flights over the everglades. Bob