Pee bag gel

Old May 2nd 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Pee bag gel

Pretty sure the talk of throwing stuff out the window is tongue-in-cheek. However, the late great Ted Teach had a “chaff dispenser” on his 1-26. Hatch on the turtle deck could be opened in flight to automatically dispense strips of toilet paper. The idea was to visualize thermals with t-paper chaff.
Old May 2nd 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 5:51:14 PM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 10:14:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 12:02:35 AM UTC-4, soaringjac wrote:
We have cats and just got a new type of litter for them called SoPhresh Gel Lock. This stuff would be great in a zip lock pee bag! Super absorbent and turns into a gel immediately. I have not tried it in flight yet, but once i saw how this stuff worked i knew it would be great to put in some pee bags. They have it at Petco and probably amazon as well

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...lti-cat-litter

What do you think?

The real deal is Sodium Polyacrylate powder. Search on the internet for best price. Add a bit to your pee bags and, voila, same as the expensive commercial pee bags at a much lower price. Turns urine into a soft gel. But I wouldn't throw it out the widow as it would hit like a mortar. Or just use vegetable bags from the grocery; pee, wind up but without knotting and chuck. The winding will come undone after clearing the glider but before hitting the ground and the fluid will depart the bag and evaporate. Tubing which vents the fluid out the glider will definitely corrode the rear cables and gear. Wear a condom catheter which will give you extra length and prevent spillage in the cockpit. They make some without adhesive which does the job adequately and they are cheap enough for one time use.

Are you guys joking or are you actually throwing plastic bags out the window? Not only is that illegal, but it is VERY uncool.

Mike, yes it actually happens, not as bad a the old B52 doing carpet bombing , but less damaging to the environment. Now you may choose to keep the pee bag in the cockpit if you wish, but I think the possibility of spilling the crusty ole **** bag all over the cockpit is a viable possibility. Maybe you like smelling the ammonia sub trace, but my suggestion is to pull the cord and seal the bag and drop whenever you can. The trailer park option is viable, nothing like dropping a bag of urine on the trailer park. In most instances they will never know what it is, they might just get a whiff and decide to throw it in the neighbors yard. No Mike, it is cool to know that you hit the double wide in the first row of trailers.
Old May 2nd 19, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:02:35 PM UTC-7, soaringjac wrote:
We have cats and just got a new type of litter for them called SoPhresh Gel Lock. This stuff would be great in a zip lock pee bag! Super absorbent and turns into a gel immediately. I have not tried it in flight yet, but once i saw how this stuff worked i knew it would be great to put in some pee bags. They have it at Petco and probably amazon as well

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...lti-cat-litter

What do you think?

Wonder if anyone has tried to convert a CamelBak into a pee bag. just adapt the drinking tube and it seems like it would work pretty well
Old May 2nd 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike, yes it actually happens, not as bad a the old B52 doing carpet bombing , but less damaging to the environment. Now you may choose to keep the pee bag in the cockpit if you wish, but I think the possibility of spilling the crusty ole **** bag all over the cockpit is a viable possibility. Maybe you like smelling the ammonia sub trace, but my suggestion is to pull the cord and seal the bag and drop whenever you can. The trailer park option is viable, nothing like dropping a bag of urine on the trailer park. In most instances they will never know what it is, they might just get a whiff and decide to throw it in the neighbors yard. No Mike, it is cool to know that you hit the double wide in the first row of trailers.

Bob,
Please post your address so we can have a spot to dump our pee bags where it is cool.
Old May 2nd 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The purpose made pee bags have an anti reflux valve and are considerably
less expensive.* Plus, there's no chance of drinking from one by mistake.

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 2nd 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

One poster on another thread did note that he uses last year's camelbacks for urine collection. Personally I think camelbacks make drinks taste like **** anyway.
Old May 2nd 19, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Throwing something out of the window of an airplane is not prohibited or "illegal" per the FAR/AIM

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
Old May 2nd 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KarlBoutin

OK Bob Youngblood, I'll bite! I am going against my prime directive of not feeding the trolls but I just want to state my objection to your comments. That will make me feel good and maybe some other pilots will agree with me ....

1- Dropping something out of an aircraft is illegal. (Canadian regulation below but I suspect any legislations in the world would have rules like this; common sense).

Dropping of Objects

602.23 No person shall create a hazard to persons or property on the surface by dropping an object from an aircraft in flight.

And don't even try to argue that a 1-2 pound bag of geled urine would not create a real hazard.

2- Didn't your mom teach you that we don't throw garbage out of the window of a car (or an aircraft). I am pretty sure that the people in the trailer park that you so keenly disparage, know this.

3- If you fly gliders, you will landout. The people you may have to turn to to help with the retrieve may well be those on which you are suggesting to throw your urine at!

I was taught when I began my gliding career that we should act like ambassadors for the sport. Our behavior and attitude reflects on the community as a whole. Your comments show a lack of respect, of commun sense and airmanship.

.... SNIP...

Old May 2nd 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim St. Clair

How about these disposable gel urinals?

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-T...%2C254&sr=8-34
Old May 2nd 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

On Thursday, May 2, 2019 at 1:09:20 PM UTC-4, Jim St. Clair wrote:
How about these disposable gel urinals?

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-T...%2C254&sr=8-34

TravelJohn disposable bags work great in the glider and the car. The first time I used one I had just gotten in the urination configuration and hit a boomer of a thermal. Decision time...thermal or relief? I decided I could hold it for a few more minutes.

I have a relief tube in my glider, but haven't used it yet and have found the bags work just fine for my needs. If I was out west and flying 5-6 hour sorties, I'd probably opt for the male external cathetor solution.

Search "male external" on RAS for a ton of discussions - including the Camelback option and a great comment from Paul Remde regarding dropping pee bags from our gliders.

PA