12 dead this weekend from GA crashes

Old February 7th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 12 dead this weekend from GA crashes - what about skiing??

Skylune wrote:
by Newps Feb 7, 2006 at 08:42 AM

Think again. Every mountain ski area is federally and state funded.

I don't need to think again. You don't know what you're talking about.
Here's SEC filings for american skiing corp, the largest operator of ski
resorts in the USA. Dig deep, and find the federal funding. I'll be
waiting.

http://peaks.shareholder.com/EdgarDe...5-29&SID=05-00

Sure there are some state owned areas (cannon mt. in NH for e.g.), but ski
areas are overwhelmingly privately owned, with absolutely zero state or
federal funding. Where do u come up with this bizarre stuff???? The
AOPA???

Are the roads to the ski resorts privately owned/funded or users fees payed?
Old February 7th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Arketip Feb 7, 2006 at 04:49 PM

Are the roads to the ski resorts privately owned/funded or users fees
payed?

LOL. Are you with the AOPA or something?? These roads are financed and
maintained the same way the roads to GA airports are.

Old February 7th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Why the fascination with aircraft crashes/deaths?

On 2006-02-07 15:02, darthpup wrote:
Maybe external air bags on aircraft. Then they cannot crash. Cirrus
already has a parachute.

Can any vehicle really be made idiot proof?

Yes, but then nature will evolve a dumber idiot, to match.

/Rolf
Old February 7th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

by "Jay Honeck" Feb 7, 2006 at 04:52 AM

In the span of a week, three skiing accidents, a heart attack and an
avalanche claimed the lives of four visitors and a ski patrol veteran.

Well, really, when you get right down to it, downhill skiing is one of
the

dumbest, least productive, potentially dangerous activities known to man.

In Skylune's world

No!!! Don't regulate skiing. Live, ski, or die!

But seriously, skiing, scuba diving, ultimate frisbee, should not come
under FAA jurisdiction. We already pay user fees on 100% of the services
we use. The AIP has no $$ allocated to cut trails or build lifts, and
skiers don't need to talk to ATC. There are no NTSB investigations when a
stupid skier (like that Kennedy that died on Aspen throwing a football
around) gets killed. And skiers accept a certain amount of risk, which
can be controlled. Kind of like rec. GA.

They get avalanche patrols/protection, emergency medivac, snowplows,
highway patrol -- all at taxpayer expense.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old February 7th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 12 dead this weekend from GA crashes

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

by "Steve Foley" Feb 7, 2006 at 01:03 AM

The question still stands.

Uh, uh, uh.......... I plead the Fifth!

Actually, I think standards should be improved and proficiency better
tested. More than just the semi annuals should be required. Many pilots
agree that there are unsafe fliers. Can they ever be totally eliminated
based on regulations? No. But there can be improvement.

How about unsafe skiers? I have seen plenty of them, too.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old February 7th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

by (Ron Lee) Feb 7, 2006 at 01:47 PM

Many pilots agree that there are unsafe fliers. Can they ever be

totally
eliminated
based on regulations? No. But there can be improvement.

Until you get those pilots to admit that they are unsafe and take
action to correct their "problems" they will continue to die and kill
others. Personally I don't want shotgun approaches that impact me
that are designed to catch the few.

Ron Lee

Isn't this what the biennials are supposed to do? What would be wrong
with making the tests more stringent and more frequent? What would be
wrong with getting the bad apples out of the sky? Wouldn't that benefit
the GA community?

What would be wrong with mandating better security at GA airports?

Cost/benefit -- there is nothing to show that "increased security" does
anything but make nonparticipants feel good.

What would be wrong with enforcing noise abatement?

Hassle -- allowing local communities to set their own noise rules would
totally disrupt the utility of GA.

Imagine driving into a town that has its own noise rules for your car or
that sets impossibly low speed limits an then enforces them with "zero
tolerance" and high fines. Does the term "speed trap" mean anything?

What would be wrong with charging people for the services they use?

As long as everybody else and every other special interest (including
skiers and boaters) pays for THEIR services.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old February 7th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Orval Fairbairn Feb 7, 2006 at 05:48
PM

They get avalanche patrols/protection, emergency medivac, snowplows,
highway patrol -- all at taxpayer expense.

The ski patrol are volunteers. No federal funding. In fact, you have to
pay for the first aid training yourself. Avalanche patrols: Not familiar
with how they are funded -- maybe state or local forestry types...

Emergency medivac: Your insurance pays for ambulance services. A ski
patrol will put you in a sled on the lower elevations -- no charge to
uncle sam.

Snowplows and highway patrol: I haven't seen any on the slopes. I'm not
sure what function they would serve.

Old February 7th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Orval Fairbairn Feb 7, 2006 at 05:49 PM

How about unsafe skiers? I have seen plenty of them, too.

I thought you kill filed me!

But OK. There are lots of a-holes on the mountains (esp. Killington).
Many are skiers but more are snowboarders. Unsafe skiing will get your
ticket clipped by ski patrol. If someone injures you thru their
negligence, you can sue.

(I never thought a simple post would generate so much grief.... I just
thought that 12 deaths in a weekend, including a poor family wiped out,
might be relevant to GA safety.)

Old February 7th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article
outaviation.com,
"Skylune" wrote:

by Orval Fairbairn Feb 7, 2006 at 05:49 PM

How about unsafe skiers? I have seen plenty of them, too.

I thought you kill filed me!

But OK. There are lots of a-holes on the mountains (esp. Killington).
Many are skiers but more are snowboarders. Unsafe skiing will get your
ticket clipped by ski patrol. If someone injures you thru their
negligence, you can sue.

(I never thought a simple post would generate so much grief.... I just
thought that 12 deaths in a weekend, including a poor family wiped out,
might be relevant to GA safety.)

Yes -- that is tragic. Problem is -- "Skylune", you have a rep for
waving red flags at bulls who are tired of harassment; so, guess who
gets the flak (and the horns)?

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.
Old February 7th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skylune" wrote:

(I never thought a simple post would generate so much grief.... I just
thought that 12 deaths in a weekend, including a poor family wiped out,
might be relevant to GA safety.)

So what happened with the "poor family?" Did the pilot screw up
royally? If so was it something that should never have happened or
normal royal screwups by pilots who are destined to die in a plane
crash?

What about families killed in auto accidents because of driver werror?
It happens. You can't stop it.

Ron Lee