Alt. question

Old June 8th 09, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
sky bob

Default Alt. question

I am building a Long EZ and am the stage where I am ready to start the
engine installation and have a couple questions for the group. The
Alt. that I have is a small single wire 60 amp alt W/ a built in
regulator that I will be putting on a Lyc. 0-235 my quastions are as
follows. 1. Is there a way of turning the alt. off if the regulator
were to stick and continue to charge the batt. even though it were
fully charged? I have heard of this happeningand almost blowing up the
batt. I've also heard that even if I were to shut the voltage (12V)
off to the atl that it could still send a charge to the batt as long
as the engine is turning the pulley. 2. What size wire would be
recommended to carry the voltage from the alt. to the batt. that is
located in the nose of the plane (maybe 10-12').

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sky Bob
Brunswick, GA
Old June 8th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

It would be impossible for the alternator to continue to make power if
the wire to it were disconnected. There would be no power to the field
coil and therefor no output. Even if it were to somehow magically make
power, it couldn't deliver it only

I would use a relay rather than 12' of 12 gage wire but that's up to you...

Tony

Old June 8th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 8, 1:43*pm, Anthony W wrote:
It would be impossible for the alternator to continue to make power if
the wire to it were disconnected. *There would be no power to the field
coil and therefor no output. *Even if it were to somehow magically make
power, it couldn't deliver it only

I would use a relay rather than 12' of 12 gage wire but that's up to you....

Tony

Impossible ?? Not hardly.... Residual magnetism in the field coil can
give output especially if unloaded.
If regulator pass transistor is shorted, output can go max until
transistor burns open.
An external regulator is usually recommended for A/C applications.

Read this Aeroelectric connection article..
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles...o_Aircraft.pdf

Reggie

Old June 9th 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 8, 2:43 pm, Anthony W wrote:
It would be impossible for the alternator to continue to make power if
the wire to it were disconnected. There would be no power to the field
coil and therefor no output.

In an alternator with an integral regulator the output feeds the
regulator via an internal connection and therefore the field. It'll
still produce. But if the output to the aircraft is run to a pullable
breaker on the panel, it can be shut off and the alternator can go
play with itself. Only problem is that the output line to the breaker
is still live and can cause trouble in the event of a fire or forced
landing.

Dan

Old June 9th 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
routund

sky bob wrote:

[...]

The response to check the aeroelectric site for information on alternator
installation was a good one. We used one of their over voltage protection
circuits on an externally regulated alternator. I do not have any experience
with an internal regulator. If you use their (Aeroelectric) over voltage
protector and an inline fuse to the alternator that would probably work. The
idea behind the over voltage protector is that it will create a short circuit
when the voltage exceeds a given design voltage. That short circuit will then
cause the current to rise in the supply wire until the fuse rating of the supply
wire fuse is exceeded and it melts, opening the circuit and removing the supply
voltage to the alternator.

Per your second question, you will need to calculate the total load that the
alternator is going to be supplying. From that and a wire sizing table you can
calculate the size wire needed. At a guess I would say that a 10 AWG should be
more than adequate for your application. The 10 AWG is good for 30 amperes and
will supply that load with a 2% drop over the 10 feet.
Old June 10th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 9, 9:57*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 21:36:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 8, 2:43 pm, Anthony W wrote:
It would be impossible for the alternator to continue to make power if
the wire to it were disconnected. *There would be no power to the field
coil and therefor no output.

In an alternator with an integral regulator the output feeds the
regulator via an internal connection and therefore the field. It'll
still produce. But if the output to the aircraft is run to a pullable
breaker on the panel, it can be shut off and the alternator can go
play with itself. Only problem is that the output line to the breaker
is still live and can cause trouble in the event of a fire or forced
landing.

Dan

Not the only problem. If the alternator full fields offline voltage
can excede 300 volts in the alternator - and that voltage goes to the
feild. The alternator WILL destroy itself in this case - and it CAN
burn.

I would definitely want the alternator modified so the feild is
externally fed ONLY.

And how would you go about doing that?

Bob
Old June 10th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

wrote:

[...]

Take the alternator apart--remove the regulator..the "field" in an
alternator is the ROTOR--which is energized by the brushes.
one brush goes to the regulator--extend it to the outside.--the other
brush is usually grounded or tied to the stator---
choose a regulator to suit--A Ford works on most---but my little
nippondenso had to have a Mopar pickup regulator--You may have to get a
rebuilder to help you.--Jerry

Old June 10th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles...rnator_Mod.pdf

question Dave LaPrise Aviation Photos 3 June 25th 08 12:29 AM
I want to ask you the most important question of your life. The question is: Are you saved? It is no gasman Soaring 0 August 26th 05 06:39 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
A Question... Lou Sir Piloting 19 November 13th 03 05:39 AM