Loosing my newsgroup feed

Old September 2nd 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Default Loosing my newsgroup feed

I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
recommend to replace this group?

I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
member of? I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
and techniques from the aircraft builders. Who knows maybe someday I'll
get to build something that flies.

Tony
Old September 2nd 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_7_]

"Anthony W" wrote in message
I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you recommend
to replace this group?

I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
member of? I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools and
techniques from the aircraft builders. Who knows maybe someday I'll get
to build something that flies.

There are a number of free newsgroup servers you can access. I use the one
Charter (my ISP)carries, but it is often unreliable. I also use
nntp.aioe.org as a backup, which you can access from any computer, any
place, with any ISP. It does not carry binary newsgroups, but that is not
an issue for this group, and most others.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 2nd 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

Anthony W wrote:
I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
recommend to replace this group?

I've had http://www.eternal-september.org/ for several months now, and
it seems pretty reliable.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 2nd 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Sep 1, 8:15*pm, Anthony W wrote:
I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
recommend to replace this group?

I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
member of? *I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
and techniques from the aircraft builders. *Who knows maybe someday I'll
get to build something that flies.

Tony

Hell, just go to Google and Groups. Sign up for those newsgroups you
want and you can both read and post to them without using any
subscription service or special reader.

Bob
Old September 2nd 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

I've been reading this group, and a few others, for several years via
Google. Groups.Google.com

Simple, free. Both good things :-)

Old September 2nd 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_7_]

wrote

I've been reading this group, and a few others, for several years via
Google. Groups.Google.com

Simple, free. Both good things :-)

You think it is simple? Wow, we would have to agree to disagree on that
point. I do not like the format that Google forces you to take to read the
posts. Too much back and forth and waiting, and trying to see what else is
in the conversation. It just does not flow easily, to me.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 2nd 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article ,
Anthony W wrote:

I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
recommend to replace this group?

Some recommend the free news server nntp.aioe.org, which pretty much
leaves you free of the Verizon issue.

Old September 2nd 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R[_2_]

Anthony W wrote:
I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I got the same email this morning.
In anticipation of this event, several months ago, I signed up to try
out the same Usenet service that Ron Wanttaja is recommending,
http://www.eternal-september.org/
I have continued to use my newsreader and have seen no difference in the
service when compared to what Verizon was offering, except, that they
offer a selection that includes some groups that Verizon had dropped
early on.
I do not have to use my browser to read a newsgroup which is a big plus
for time savings.
Old September 2nd 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R[_2_]

R wrote:
In anticipation of this event, several months ago, I signed up to try
out the same Usenet service that Ron Wanttaja is recommending,
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Ron and I both neglected to mention: "news.eternal-september.org
provides free read and write access to all text newsgroups"
Old September 2nd 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Morgans wrote:
There are a number of free newsgroup servers you can access. I use the
one Charter (my ISP)carries, but it is often unreliable. I also use
nntp.aioe.org as a backup, which you can access from any computer, any
place, with any ISP. It does not carry binary newsgroups, but that is
not an issue for this group, and most others.

Thanx, I'll give it a try.

Tony