Do winglets produce thrust?

Old November 28th 03, 07:43 PM
Bob Salvo

Default Do winglets produce thrust?

Anyone?
Bob
Old November 28th 03, 08:09 PM
Keith W

"Bob Salvo" wrote in message
Anyone?
Bob

That's against the laws of thermodynamics. If you can make a passive device
produce thrust you should rule the world with your new perpetual motion
machine! At best it reduces losses.

Keith

Old November 28th 03, 08:54 PM
Eric Greenwell

Keith W wrote:

"Bob Salvo" wrote in message

Anyone?
Bob

That's against the laws of thermodynamics. If you can make a passive device
produce thrust you should rule the world with your new perpetual motion
machine! At best it reduces losses.

In my country, our gliders move forward because the wing produces
thrust, and our sailboats move over the water because the sail produces
thrust. Whether we should rule the world is causing much controversy.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old November 28th 03, 09:36 PM
cddb

Don't think so.
Gravity provides the thrust. Quite noticeably when fuselage
is pointed vertically. None at all when fuselage/wing is horizontal.

In article , Eric Greenwell

Old November 28th 03, 09:40 PM
Keith W

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Keith W wrote:

"Bob Salvo" wrote in message

Anyone?
Bob

That's against the laws of thermodynamics. If you can make a passive

device
produce thrust you should rule the world with your new perpetual motion
machine! At best it reduces losses.

In my country, our gliders move forward because the wing produces
thrust, and our sailboats move over the water because the sail produces
thrust. Whether we should rule the world is causing much controversy.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Yep - I was thinking of thrust as a primary force rather than that due to
'tobogganing' (ie a change of supporting force forward of the vertical).
Away I go to the sackcloth and ashes 8-).

As to whether the US should rule the world - I will duck out of that to
prevent a repetition of the reams of vehement verbiage which has already
filled the bit stream 8-))

Keith

Old November 28th 03, 10:22 PM
BTIZ

I don't think it was that "US" rules the world.. but more the line that.. he
who masters the air above us.. (glider pilots) .. rule the world..

BT

Old November 28th 03, 11:57 PM
Scott Correa

Winglets produce lift, with a vector. The vector direction
can be perpendicular to the winglet surface, fwd or aft.
That is dependant on how it is shaped and mounted.
A lift vector facing the nose (fwd) being called thrust
might be a mishmash of terms, but it happens.
I usually think of thrust as a motive force acting on the vehicle.
Winglet vectors are recovery of lost energy by reshaping flow
to our advantage. Good idea, yes, thrust...... probably not
a really good description of what is happening........

Scott.

Old November 29th 03, 01:10 AM
Denis Flament

Bob Salvo wrote:

Anyone?
Bob

Yes

--
Denis
Private replies: remove "moncourrielest" from my e-mail address

Old November 29th 03, 01:13 AM
Denis Flament

Keith W wrote:

That's against the laws of thermodynamics.

No.

Provided the thrust of the winglets is not higher than the drag of the
other part of the glider, that's not (and of course the winglet thrust
is only a few % of the glider drag)

Old November 29th 03, 02:08 AM
Andy Blackburn

Not thrust in the same way as a propulsion system,
but winglets generally do produce a lift vector that
has a spanwise and a chordwise component. Since the
flowfield at the wingtip is angled inward, the winglet
has an incidence angle that is slightly outward-facing
-- while still producing a positive angle of attack
(look at your winglets from straight ahead to see that
this is true). This means that the 'lift' produced
by the winglet is directed mostly inwards towards the
fuselage, but also forwards.

I don't know what lift coefficients winglets fly at,
but I suspect the actual magnitude of the 'thrust'
is very small.

9B

At 19:54 28 November 2003, Bob Salvo wrote:
Anyone?
Bob

A Level 1 AOA clarification Ramapriya Piloting 64 January 9th 05 01:19 AM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
max altitude and Mach 1 Boomer Military Aviation 22 June 1st 04 08:04 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
P-38 Exhaust Stephen Harding Military Aviation 10 April 19th 04 07:03 AM