2006 Annual -- My 8th "Owner-Assisted" Inspection

Old March 23rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default 2006 Annual -- My 8th "Owner-Assisted" Inspection

So, our '74 Pathfinder (Cherokee 235) is back in for annual -- its fifth one
with us -- and I spent the day working with my mechanic on my 8th
"owner-assisted" annual inspection. A few previously known squawks have
been addressed:

1. The ELT. It barely passed last year, and this year it didn't activate
when subjected to sudden deceleration. (It's the original Piper part, so I
think it has given its all...)

I've ordered a new Ameri-King model from Spruce, at a very attractive price
($175) -- but I've found (much to my dismay) that a remote switch must be
installed in the panel for ANY new ELT installed. The old one did not
require this, and I'm a bit mystified as to why the new ones require ripping
the panel apart to install yet another idiot light/switch, but oh, well.

Apparently the new 406 mhz ELTs aren't going to be required until 2010 (?)
now, so I've opted not to spend the $$$ on one right now. The folks at
Spruce said that deadline is "soft" anyway.

2. Fiberglass vertical stabilizer fairings. These two parts have been
getting obviously worse since we bought the plane in '02. My A&P let me
slide on it last year, but he said this year they must go. I bought the big
part from Jay Masino last summer (thanks, Jay!), but had to order the
smaller forward fairing from Lopresti. (They were the only ones with that
part in stock -- and their price was cheapest, too!)

Best of all -- the ONLY person we know who can fit into the tail cone to
buck the rivets for the new fairing is Mary -- so you can look forward to
more pictures and interesting stories to come... :-)

3. Prop RPM a Smidge Low. This has been a real gradual thing, and could be
the tach. Nonetheless, we've given the prop governor adjustment screw a
turn to the good.

And, of course, a couple of UNknown minor squawks have reared their ugly
heads:

1. Seat Adjustor Handle Springs. The little lever that allows you to
recline the seat is supposed to have two springs in it that make sure the
handle springs back. Both of my springs were broken -- something I had
never noticed, because the pilot-side seat never gets moved. (This was the
very first thing I touched in the annual, as I was removing the seats.)

At first I thought "who cares?" but my A&P pointed out that without that
spring return, the handle could be in the wrong position at take-off, and
allow the seat to recline -- a very bad thing, indeed, while climbing out.
We called Piper and -- incredibly -- the springs are just $2.50 apiece! Of
course, it took an hour of labor to dismantle the seat to get TO those
springs, but still -- that's pretty cheap for airplane parts.

2. Control Cables Loose. I asked how to check the tautness of the cables,
and my A&P whipped out his brand new (and newly calibrated) cable tension
tool. Lo and behold, all of the cables in the tailcone were loose. So,
I've now learned how to tension control surface cables. Both the rudder
and stabilator cables were 25% down from spec.

Otherwise, everything has gone swimmingly. Compressions were perfect (five
are 80/80, one is 79/80), timing is on the mark, our Iridium fine-wire spark
plugs still look like new, our tires and brakes are nearly new, the prop
looks good for another year, the mags and wiring harness are still a-okay,
and everything in the panel works.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but this is looking like a good one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 23rd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

2. Fiberglass vertical stabilizer fairings.

Best of all -- the ONLY person we know who can fit into the tail cone to
buck the rivets for the new fairing is Mary -- so you can look forward to
more pictures and interesting stories to come... :-)

Structural rivets on a Cherokee fin fairing? Is your wrench requiring
this? That fairing is not a structural part and it is subject to almost
no wind load. You don't even need cherry rivets. My wrench and 3
different other local wrenches said that pop rivets are fine for that
application. Mine is still firmly attached 7 years later.

Good Luck
Mike

Old March 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Structural rivets on a Cherokee fin fairing? Is your wrench requiring
this? That fairing is not a structural part and it is subject to almost no
wind load. You don't even need cherry rivets. My wrench and 3 different
other local wrenches said that pop rivets are fine for that application.
Mine is still firmly attached 7 years later.

That's good to know! I'll mention it to my mechanic tomorrow. (I won't
tell Mary yet, though... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 23rd 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm into my first owner assisted annual right now with my Archer.
You're having a better year than I am. I have a Narco ELT 10 that has
gone toes up. My guy is trying pretty hard to steer me away from
anything other than dropping $900 on a direct replacement or getting the
current one fixed. And I already have a switch near the left armrest
with (from memory....) off/arm/test positions. Has anyone ever replaced
a set up like this with an ACK or an Ameri-King?

I did find an AOPA link claiming the SARSAT coverage will be dropped for
the 'old' units in 2009. -
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/elt.html - They seem to think
the units will still be legal but won't have sat. coverage.

How about magnetos? Do you really just throw Slick mags. away after 5
calendar years????

Tom

Old March 23rd 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I guess everyone knows to try and get the ELT"s that take standard
batteries. I have one of the ones that require the $60 batteries. What
a rip...

Old March 23rd 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Tom McQuinn wrote:
: I'm into my first owner assisted annual right now with my Archer.
: You're having a better year than I am. I have a Narco ELT 10 that has
: gone toes up. My guy is trying pretty hard to steer me away from
: anything other than dropping $900 on a direct replacement or getting the
: current one fixed. And I already have a switch near the left armrest
: with (from memory....) off/arm/test positions. Has anyone ever replaced
: a set up like this with an ACK or an Ameri-King?

I installed it on a friend's PA-24. IIRC, it's an RJ-11 (i.e. telephone
cord) between the ELT and the front panel. It's not tough... just figure out where
you want to mount the front panel unit, and tear the guts out of the plane until you
can route the cable where you need...

$900 for a direct replacement??? We thought hard about this on our moldy old
Sharc7 that's in our PA28 1.5 years ago. The batteries are required replacement every
2, and for $5 worth of D-cells soldered together they bend you over for $35 IIRC. I
was tempted to just go for an ACK at that time to prevent overpriced battery
replacement (and to get a newer unit). The rest of the annual ended costing more than
anticipated, so we deferered the upgrade cost and just bought a new battery. Next
time, we may go the other route.

Too bad the 406MHz ones are still too expensive.

: I did find an AOPA link claiming the SARSAT coverage will be dropped for
: the 'old' units in 2009. -
: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/elt.html - They seem to think
: the units will still be legal but won't have sat. coverage.

That's what I remember as well.

: How about magnetos? Do you really just throw Slick mags. away after 5
: calendar years????

Apparently.... at least at the end-user/A&P level.

Bendix ones are big, old, and clunky, but at least they're rebuildable easily.

-Cory

:
: 1. The ELT. It barely passed last year, and this year it didn't activate
: when subjected to sudden deceleration. (It's the original Piper part, so I
: think it has given its all...)
:
: I've ordered a new Ameri-King model from Spruce, at a very attractive price
: ($175) -- but I've found (much to my dismay) that a remote switch must be
: installed in the panel for ANY new ELT installed. The old one did not
: require this, and I'm a bit mystified as to why the new ones require ripping
: the panel apart to install yet another idiot light/switch, but oh, well.
:
: Apparently the new 406 mhz ELTs aren't going to be required until 2010 (?)
: now, so I've opted not to spend the $$$ on one right now. The folks at
: Spruce said that deadline is "soft" anyway.
:
: --
: NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 23rd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I guess everyone knows to try and get the ELT"s that take standard
batteries. I have one of the ones that require the $60 batteries. What
a rip...

Amen. My old Piper ELT batteries are about the same price.

My new Ameri-King will take regular alkaline batteries.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 23rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I have an old Pointer with no panel switches. I believe that this new
remote requriement is to be sure you have an easy way to activitate the
ELT should it not go off when it should. I was surprised how easy it was
to set one off just by holding correctly and swinging it at arms length.
No force required.

Ross

Old March 23rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Yeah, but...

If you replace the Narco 10 with a Narco 10 the old switch and wiring will
not have to be replaced. As Jay noted, this is a royal pain in the
labonza. If you go with ACK or AK they have their own special cable you
get to rip up and rerun.

I'd hold my ground for the new unit(s). Whatever installation labor your
greasy charges will be more than offset by being able to use D flashlight
cells every 5 years.

Jim

IIRC, replacement is more frequent than every 5 years (1 or 2 is my
recollection), but either way, it is still far cheaper and more convenient
to use D cells.

KB

Old March 23rd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
news

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Yeah, but...

If you replace the Narco 10 with a Narco 10 the old switch and wiring
will not have to be replaced. As Jay noted, this is a royal pain in the
labonza. If you go with ACK or AK they have their own special cable you
get to rip up and rerun.

I'd hold my ground for the new unit(s). Whatever installation labor your
greasy charges will be more than offset by being able to use D flashlight
cells every 5 years.

Jim

IIRC, replacement is more frequent than every 5 years (1 or 2 is my
recollection), but either way, it is still far cheaper and more convenient
to use D cells.

KB

The D cells must be replaced per the 'best used by' date on the cells
themselves. If you chose wisely and get very fresh stock that can be much
more than 5 years.

Toasted my engine Kobra Instrument Flight Rules 59 September 27th 05 12:16 AM
Toasted my engine Kobra Owning 59 September 27th 05 12:16 AM
Toasted my engine Kobra Piloting 61 September 27th 05 12:16 AM
Annual Report Final. "Long" NW_PILOT Owning 20 October 28th 04 07:20 PM
Annual Report Final. "Long" NW_PILOT Piloting 22 October 28th 04 07:20 PM