Westerboer Vario with electronic total energy compensation

Old August 3rd 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Westerboer Vario with electronic total energy compensation

Hi Gang
I am thinking of purchasing a Westerboer 1020 vario that does not
require a total energy probe. It uses the static and pitot inputs and
calculates the total energy numbers. Now this vario costs around
$1,000 and would replace my Tasman which costs about $600. The motor
glider that I would make the changes on does not have a total energy
probe which makes thermaling more difficult (have you ever thermaled
in a 2-32 which does not have a TE probe?). So I have a set of general
question for all of you that have Westerboer products. Are they as
good as their specs suggest? Are they reliable? Is service easily
available? In particular does the electronic total energy system on
the 1020 work as well as they claim. Thanks.
Dave

PS For info on Westerboer Varios go to the Wings and Wheels site. Tim
Mara stocks them.
Old August 3rd 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

I have no experience with the 1020, but I consider their sensor box
the biggest innovation in varios for a long time. For a 30 year old
VW3 they sold me the handle of a pneumatic switch that I had broken, I
guess that counts for service quality.

Michael