Cheap Glider Trailer Refinish

Old April 30th 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cheap Glider Trailer Refinish

I have an alluminum "cigar tube" trailer for my Glasflugel Libelle. Over the past 5 years the previous owner has left it outside in the Texas sun and weather which has resulted in some chips of paint starting to fall off and some algae growing on the paint. (By the way, it rigs great and is structurally sound and the inside is nice, just thought I was bashing my glider trailer too much, I really do love it!)

I'm 16 and still in highschool so I don't have money to shell out at any given time..

I'm going to keep it the way it is for this soaring season but sometime after this season I am going to repaint it.

Suggestions for stripping the old paint and putting a new coat of white paint on?

I'm not looking for 30+ years of guaranteed paint durability because I know that will just result in $$$ I don't have. Just lookin. for something that will look good for at least a few years. The trailer now sits under the shade if it's not out because i'm 5,000 feet above it.

Old April 30th 17, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:34:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

As far as the paint.

Several years ago I painted my trailer with this single part Polyurethane, and it has held up very well outside year around in the high New Mexico desert. It is easy to apply with a roller and levels very well. The result is a very nice finish. You will have to apply a primer first. This paint is ideal for your purpose, easy to apply, inexpensive and durable.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...duct.do?pid=64

Mike
Old April 30th 17, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Mike!

What primer did you use? And I know we don't have the exact trailer but how much did you use, if you rememember of course...

Thanks again!
Old April 30th 17, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd suggest waterblast off what you can and repaint with acrylic external white house paint using a roller. The roller makes a great finish and the house paint is cheap, made for tough jobs yet easy to clean up!
Old April 30th 17, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:14:21 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Thanks Mike!

What primer did you use? And I know we don't have the exact trailer but how much did you use, if you rememember of course...

Thanks again!

I applied two coats, one per day for two days, and used around one gallon I think when mixed with their thinner. I did not use a primer, it is an old fiberglass trailer that did not need it. The existing finish had worn evenly partway through and you could just see a bit of the glass fibers sparkling in the sun. I cleaned it well before painting it. Your metal trailer will need a primer though if you strip it down to bare metal. Check for primers in the posted Jamestown link.

BTW I met a pilot once that used this type of one part polyurethane on a sailplane that turned out really nice. I do not remember if he used a roller though.

Mike
Old April 30th 17, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

At 07:02 30 April 2017, Mike C wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:14:21 AM UTC-6,

wrote:
Thanks Mike!=20
=20
What primer did you use? And I know we don't have the exact trailer but

h=
ow much did you use, if you rememember of course...=20
=20

=
fiberglass trailer that did not need it. The existing finish had worn
evenl=
y partway through and you could just see a bit of the glass fibers
sparklin=
g in the sun. I cleaned it well before painting it. Your metal trailer
will=
need a primer though if you strip it down to bare metal. Check for
primer=
s in the posted Jamestown link. =20

BTW I met a pilot once that used this type of one part polyurethane on a
sa=
ilplane that turned out really nice. I do not remember if he used a
roller=
though.

Having painted the trailer again you are always at the mercy of the weather
and will have to do it again later and so on.
Have you thought of removing all of the existing paint and allow a layer of
aluminium oxide to form which in itself is a protection.
Similar to copper or lead.

Mike

Old April 30th 17, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:34:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Whatever you do, keep your health in mind. Commercial automotive paints and even some paints available to general public, contain isocyanates. These are very dangerous chemicals if not used properly and/or without adequate protection.

Look at youtube, some people repainted RVs with a roller and some inexpensive paint with good results. This approach could work for you.

Andrzej

Old April 30th 17, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:34:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have an alluminum "cigar tube" trailer for my Glasflugel Libelle.

Getting primer to bond to heavily oxidized aluminum is a challenge. It may look good for a year and then start to chip.

You did say CHEAP. Two components 1)material cost 2)your time.

Here is a cheap approach:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...31fhoCMujw_wcB

It might even plug the leaky rivet holes.

Old April 30th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Painted a fiberglass tube trailer last year with Benjamin Moore primer and Benjamin Moore gloss exterior house paint. Rolled on the primer and sprayed the top coat. I think the top coat would have done just as well or better if I had rolled it on. Regardless, the job came out looking very good. Both the paint and primer leveled well and did not leave roller marks. The paint dried very hard and has been reasonably scratch resistant. Washes well and seems stain resistant. Bonus is that it is water based. I would definitely do it again. Oh, and the reason I mentioned Benjamin Moore paint by name is that, in my hands at least, it is easier to apply and covers better than any paint I've used on the several houses I have painted inside and out. My (hopefully) last house painting job used 37 gallons of Ben Moore primer and paint!

One poster mentioned using a marine one-part polyurethane. That would be a great way to go. Interlux, Petit, Total Boat are all similar products that you can get from Jamestown Distributors. They have some good videos on how to use those paints as well. Those are made to be rolled on and level well. The only downsides to the boat paints are that they are twice the cost of the house paint and you have to clean up with solvent.
Old April 30th 17, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Forgot to address stripping. Stripping is going to be no fun at all. The suggestion of using a pressure washer to blast off the paint is probably a good one. Sanding the whole trailer would be a good idea as well. I sanded the trailer I painted to remove as much of the old paint as possible. No expensive but time consuming and tiring.