US Centrair Pegasus group?

Old July 14th 05, 11:45 PM
jphoenix

Default US Centrair Pegasus group?

Is there a US group/club/association, however loose, of Pegasus owners
out there somewhere? Reason for asking is the FAA is considering the
*possibility* of rulemaking regarding the 3000 hour life limit on the
aircraft and they're requesting input from interested parties prior to
the official rulemaking process.

I understand there will be a rulemaking comment period in the future
*if* the issue develops into an AD - their request for comments at this
time is a preliminary request from the FAA/Industry/Operators
Airworthiness Concern Coordination Group.

If there is a unified voice, or group of interested owners out there
somewhere (US only) send me a reply at o, change
the netto to net to reply.

If you own, or know of, a US registered Pegasus over 3000 hours TT, let
me know.

Jim

Old July 15th 05, 05:39 PM

Jim:

I know of no such organization; this Usenet group may be about as close
as it comes.

Generally, I don't have a problem with life limits if they can be tied
to genuine airworthiness concerns (as opposed to, for example, an
effort to tail product liability exposure -- not real likely here
because of GARA). 3000 hours is a lot of time. I suspect it won't be
easy to find a U.S. registered Pegasus anywhere near that range unless
it has spent a substantial chunk of its life in club or rental service.
(In fact, I wonder what the highest-time glass ship still in service in
the U.S. might be.)

I'll be interested to hear what you find out and what others think.

Mark -- B9

Old July 15th 05, 06:01 PM
jphoenix

Your response is the first I've seen or received. The life limit
currently exists in the Flight Manual, however the FAA ACS sheet states
that there may be some misunderstanding about the life limit and they
may issue rulemaking to clarify (in other words mandate the life limit
with a US AD).

This is an opportunity for Pegasus owners to influence the creation of
the NPRM, if necessary, prior to the NPRM being issued. A description
of the ACS process can be found he

http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...ceACSGuide.doc

This process is followed for al AD's.

After the NPRM is published, another period for comment is afforded.
I'll post the issue on the gliderforum.com, I see there's a Pegasus
thread running there.

Jim

Jim