Mooney Engine Problems in Flight

Old December 14th 04, 12:55 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 13 Dec 2004 15:10:43 -0800, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I had a plug go bad and that cylinder's EGT actually went up. I never
understood that.

That is what should happen. Has to do with flame fronts and burning time.

Assuming you have EGT monitors for each cylinder, watch what happens when
you do your mag check. EGT's in all cylinders will rise significantly.
AAMOF, that is one recommended method (in the Insight GEM manual) given for
checking.

Old December 14th 04, 04:55 PM
Paul Smedshammer

In article .com, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Paul Smedshammer wrote:
In article .com,

Thanks to everybody for your responses. Sounds like the general consensus is
either water in the fuel or some other fuel contamination. I'm taking the
plane up to LASAR to have them drain the tanks and go through the whole fuel
system. Hopefully they can find something that would explain what happened.
This sure makes me think twice about VFR on top or even night flying.

Paul,
1967 Mooney M20F
Old December 14th 04, 05:06 PM
Bill Denton

Just a curiosity...

I believe you mentioned that you did not yet have your instrument ticket,
but you keep referring to VFR-on-top, which is flown, in the US, on an IFR
flightplan.

Am I missing something?

"Paul Smedshammer" wrote in message
. com...
In article .com,

Old December 14th 04, 06:05 PM
Paul Smedshammer

In article , "Bill Denton" wrote:
Just a curiosity...

I believe you mentioned that you did not yet have your instrument ticket,
but you keep referring to VFR-on-top, which is flown, in the US, on an IFR
flightplan.

Am I missing something?

As far as I know, and maybe I'm wrong, a VFR pilot can fly what would be
considered VFR on top. Maybe I'm using the technical term "VFR on Top"
incorrectly but I'm just trying to describe the situation. The situation was
a 600 foot overcast with tops at 1,500 feet. Clear above 1,500 feet with
visibility well over 10 miles … more like 50 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong
but a VFR pilot can fly at 4,500 feet in this situation. It might not be
smart but it is legal. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old December 14th 04, 06:26 PM
Bill Denton

Thanks!

I'm still a wannabe, so I don't really yet know what is correct, but it
struck me that while you might find a hole that would let you climb above
the clouds on departure, what would happen if you were still above the
clouds and there were no hole at your destination airport?

"Paul Smedshammer" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Bill Denton"

Old December 14th 04, 07:00 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:06:10 -0600, "Bill Denton"
wrote:

Just a curiosity...

I believe you mentioned that you did not yet have your instrument ticket,
but you keep referring to VFR-on-top, which is flown, in the US, on an IFR
flightplan.

Am I missing something?

I think he means VFR over the top.

Old December 14th 04, 07:01 PM
Paul Smedshammer

In article , "Bill Denton" wrote:
Thanks!

I'm still a wannabe, so I don't really yet know what is correct, but it
struck me that while you might find a hole that would let you climb above
the clouds on departure, what would happen if you were still above the
clouds and there were no hole at your destination airport?

I had about 30 miles of this 600 foot overcast to pass over. It was clear on
the otherside with many places to land that were all forcast clear and my wife
was able to verify the weather at our local airport also. I just don't want
everybody to think I'm totally nuts.
Old December 14th 04, 07:08 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:01:00 GMT,
(Paul Smedshammer) wrote:

I just don't want
everybody to think I'm totally nuts.

Too late....BG.

Old December 14th 04, 09:22 PM
Big John

Paul

Been so long not sure you can do this???

In cold country you can get an alcohol based additive that will absorb
water in tank and let it go through the engine with no problem.

If the 360 system is suitable for the alcohol based additive then you
can get any water (small amounts you can't drain on pre flight) out of
tank that way vs major work by an A & E.

Check this out.

Any comments from the peanut gallery G

Big John

Old December 14th 04, 10:46 PM
Happy Dog

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Thanks!

I'm still a wannabe, so I don't really yet know what is correct, but it
struck me that while you might find a hole that would let you climb above
the clouds on departure, what would happen if you were still above the
clouds and there were no hole at your destination airport?

The Canadian rules are at:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Re...02.htm#602_116

Note the requirement for weather forecasts.

moo