New EU regulations

Old May 29th 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_4_]

Default New EU regulations

I was planning on flying in a few places on an upcoming trip to
Europe. Now I am told there are new EASA regulations limiting PIC to
only those who have passed an EASA medical and hold an appropiate
EASA license.

Wow! Sure puts a knot in my plans. Is there no reciprocity with the
US?

Is there anywhere in the US I can get an EASA approved medical and
glider rating?

Please commitment if you have more details.
Old May 29th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Bureaucracy raised to an art form.

The USA is quite different to most of the world in this, and now the
rest of the world is getting subjected to this.

Technically - if you have an ICAO recognised license it is relatively
straightforward to validate your license and get a short term EASA
license. Implementation appears to differ between countries. UK and
Germany are probably easier than the rest.

Anyone with direct experience?

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old May 30th 12, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

Europe does require medicals for glider pilots, however American FAA medicals are accepted in Europe. EASA medicals have expiration dates of 12 months, so it's best to have had the FAA medical within the previous 12 months to prevent confusion.

FAA pilot certificates are commonly validated in Europe. Check with the local agency for documentation procedures.

Hope this helps!

Chris Fleming
F2
France

Old May 31st 12, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Depends where you are going in Europe. The only legal requirement to fly a
glider in the UK is that you must be over 16 years of age. Most clubs
require some evidence of medical fitness, if you have a US medical you
should have no problem at all in the UK. If EASA has it's way this will
change however it may face a legal challenge which could go on for several
years.

Old June 6th 12, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Jessop[_2_]

Hi Ben,

As Don says, there is currently no legal requirement to hold a medical in
the UK but you won't in practice get a launch without some medical
documentation because of the self-regulation that works rather well and is
therefore about to be removed in the name of European harmonisation.

Here is the UK rule book:

http://www.gliding.co.uk/forms/lawsandrules.pdf

This says at 15.5:

Acceptable Alternative Certificates. For glider flying only, a Class 1 or 2
(FAA Class 3) Medical Certificate issued in accordance with ICAO and any
NATO Military Aircrew Employment Standard or Air Cadet Medical Certificate
is acceptable. For short term visitors to the UK, a non-ICAO medical
certificate valid for gliding in their own country is acceptable, but these
other certificates are not acceptable for permanent UK residents. For power
flying, CAA validation is equired for other than JAA medical
certification.

To address your initial question:

Is there anywhere in the US I can get an EASA approved medical and glider

rating?

You should be able to get a US private certificate with a glider rating
"validated" to be usable locally. The same would be true of a medical
certificate but if you don't have an FAA medical it may be worth getting an
EASA medical issued at the same time as an FAA one. My UK based medical
examiner routinely issues FAA and EASA medicals at the same time (with a
very small discount!).

The ways in which countries validate licences (or certificates in your
case) vary. For example, for the time being, the UK simple deems an ICAO
compliant licence to be valid for private flying (shout if you need chapter
and verse on this).

The page at:

http://www.aircross.co.uk/sisteron/FlyFrance.htm

may be useful but it deals largely with the processes that allow UK based
pilots without ICAO compliant licences to fly in France.

I am quite sure that the larger sites in Europe are very familiar with this
issue and will provide guidance if asked.

Safe flying!

Paul
(UK Gliding Instructor/PPL and FAA CFI(G))

Sightseeing Regulations Judah Piloting 4 August 19th 07 01:14 PM
Part 121 Regulations Question GS Piloting 27 August 31st 06 06:56 AM
cloud flying regulations Fox Two Soaring 27 August 10th 06 02:31 PM
FAA regulations - W&B Arne Piloting 13 March 15th 05 01:50 AM
New UK Regulations Soaring 5 October 2nd 03 12:13 AM