Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenz Dale

Default Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

What's the minimum realistic climb rate that should be acceptable for self-launch? I've heard things like 1:4 ratio of thrust to MTOW (where thrust is approximated as 3x motor/engine power), but planes like the Silent 2 Electro and miniLAK FES seem to exceed this somewhat, with the miniLAK FES having a ratio approaching 1:5.5. The S2E's flight manual publish a climb rate somewhere around 400fpm, and just based on the numbers I would expect the miniLAK FES to be around 300fpm.

The GP 15 Jeta has a ratio of 1:6.3, which is far lower than the rule of thumb for powered flight. Yet, I don't hear anyone complaining.

And gas-powered craft might have 500fpm at sea-level, but they certainly can't attain anywhere near that at higher (density) altitudes.

So while all this sounds slow, when I compare to stall speeds I find that self-launch gliders' overall performance is generally 2-3x better than the FAA's minimum requirement of 200'/1nm for instrument flight (that's the closest I could find to a hard and fast rule for climb rates). So it would suggest that quick climb rates aren't necessary if the forward flight speed is very low.

So what's the right real-world response? Is there a certain absolute minimum for safe glider flight, or is it better to have a great climb angle rather than a great climb rate?

Minimum rates of climb/descent for VFR Mxsmanic Piloting 113 February 17th 08 06:42 AM
Why Isn't Vx The Best Rate Of Climb? RandyL Piloting 18 September 28th 06 07:50 PM
figuring Rate of Climb Michael Horowitz Home Built 1 June 19th 05 03:16 AM
Rate of climb Dillon Pyron Home Built 3 May 8th 04 01:08 PM
Minimum rate of climb or descent Aaron Kahn Instrument Flight Rules 3 July 25th 03 03:22 PM