~ Bush: "I'm God's Delivery Boy" ~

Old March 21st 04, 04:13 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Robey Price" wrote in message
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

Gould's attempts to band aid together a plausable mechanism to replace
Darwin's impossible one is what was hillarious.

Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory" at 1474 pages, some
band-aid.

The notional hypothesis of evolution as an origin of species has been
hemmorraging severely since about 1930. The band aid failed.

Old March 21st 04, 11:58 AM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

The notional hypothesis of evolution as an origin of species has been
hemmorraging severely since about 1930. The band aid failed.

IOW you are a believer of creation science...OK

Old March 21st 04, 12:59 PM
Stephen Harding

Guy Alcala wrote:

I'm unaware of that being the case. I think I can tell the difference between political humbug
and true belief. I have no doubt about, say, the sincerity of Senator Lieberman's beliefs, nor
do I (generally) doubt the sincerity of President Bush's. But when they start making a big
public deal out of it and mentioning God at every (politically) opportune moment, it starts to
smell.

Well if you're at a convention of xylophonists, you tend to talk
about xylophones, so I don't think it's terribly smelly to have
Bush talk religion at a religious convention (I believe that was
the context of his "God's delivery boy" statement).

Yet at least around here, there seems to be a belief he's promoting
born-again christianity, and the division between church and state
is being narrowed.

How do you figure that? You can decorate your house, you car, or yourself with Crosses, Stars of
David, Crescents, Ankhs, Prayer wheels or Pentagrams all you want. You can spend every waking
minute of every day praising your god(s) as much as you chose. Just don't try and force me to
agree with you, and don't try to force me to listen to you in a public building/space that I'm
constrained to be in. You want to stand on your soapbox in the park and tell everyone _who wants
to listen_ about the wonders of your religion, knock yourself out. But don't do it at the top of
your lungs to people who have no interest in what you're saying, and who can't move out of
earshot while still enjoying the location.

"Public space" is supposed to be for the public. You can't get a
more "public space" in New England than a town common. In Amherst,
the town common is the location for all sorts of stuff people put
up to display.

Try and put up a nativity scene there. You can't. "Separation of
church and state" ya know. But the UMass pagans can put up their
wooden whatever commemorating various spirits of "Mother Earth".

Christians should be able to put up their nativity scene. Jews
should be able to (and somehow do) put up their menorah or star of
David, Islam...

Placing these symbols in town space is NOT promoting religion.
It's allowing public expression. It's not "forcing" views on people
any more than having a flag waving on a flag pole (which I might add,
have also been objected to).

No, it's saying that government can not favor one religion over another, nor can they sponsor one
or many. You want a nativity scene, feel free to pay for it (or get like-minded individiuals to
do so) and put it up on your lawn. Which is pretty much what happens around here. You want to
have a stone sculpture monument of the Ten Commandments? Be my guest, and mount it in your yard,
home or (in some cases) business. But it doesn't belong in the Courthouse.

It most certainly can belong on the courthouse lawn, if that is a
convenient public place. Religion is a part of national life. It
should not be excluded from the courthouse any more than "In God
we Trust" removed from coinage. It's a cultural expression as well
as religious.

Separation of church and state simply means you can not say OK to
the nativity scene while excluding a Menorah during Chanukha.

Some were deeply religious, some went through the motions because it was expected, some were
agnostic or atheist. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to describe Benjamin Franklin as "deeply
religious." The important thing is that they all had the legal right to be of whatever religion

Actually, I'd call Ben and Thomas Jefferson quite religious
individuals, just not in an "organized" way.

[I like the "Jefferson Bible" where he went through the King
James cutting out passages that he liked, pasting them all
together to form his own "bible". I've only just started the
Ben Franklin bio, so I'm not up to speed on details of his
religious thinking beyond general knowledge that he was not
atheist.]

He has pandered to his religious base quite a lot, in the last election and now this one.
Sometimes he's sincere, but in some cases he's throwing them a bone after making a political
calculation. The hesitation about coming out and saying he'd support a constitutional amendment
banning gay marriage being a case in point. The decision itself, and the timing of it, was a
political calculation through and through.

I don't think that's entirely the case. Bush is President so
there is going to be political context in whatever he does or says.
"Calculation" for me implies a sort of insincerity that may not
always be the case. Virtually any political action can be labeled
"calculating" I suppose.

Fundamentalist, and sometimes non-fundamentalist Christians such
as myself, don't particularly like the idea of gay marriage.
I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, so my right
wing thinking on this has been moderated into a willingness to
accept "civil union" for gays...or polygamists...or almost whatever.

Whether you believe an amendment to obtain "correct" constitutional
interpretation of the issue on the part of judges, or some other
way, may or may not be a pandering to a political group.

I personally don't like adding constitutional amendments whenever
a new "interpretation" of something comes up, but, what else can
you do besides be careful about the judges you appoint?

And fortunately the Supreme Court has just found against the guy who sued the state of Washington
(IIRR), because they refused to pay the scholarship they had awarded him when he wanted to use it
to attend theology school. He seemed like a decent sort, but I certainly don't want my taxes to
pay to support his particular faith (or any other). If his denomination needs ministers and he
can't afford it himself, they can pay his way if they choose, but it shouldn't be coming out of
my pocket.

I'm torn on this example. I don't want government funding the
development of religious "professionals". Yet education is a
primary and just use of government funds, and discrimination on
the type of professional perhaps isn't warranted. Biology,
electrical engineering, Italian Renaissance art, theology?
Perhaps shouldn't rally matter.

Producing an actual minister? A bit shaky, but as long as
the government isn't promoting the production of only Episcopal
ministers, perhaps not entirely wrong.

For a slightly more benign example (IMO), I have no problem
with public vouchers for Catholic schools of choice, as long
as students who wish can opt out of any of the religious
components of such education. This is not be promoting
religion. It's promoting education!

SMH

Old March 21st 04, 07:04 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Robey Price" wrote in message
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

The notional hypothesis of evolution as an origin of species has been
hemmorraging severely since about 1930. The band aid failed.

IOW you are a believer of creation science...OK

If you buy into Jay Gould's band aid and go with the physical geological
evidence, you are a Creationist too. The only question beomes one of a
causal observer, or probabilistic chance. (as delta T becomes small)

If you are a believer in Darwin's notional hypotehsis of origin of species,
you are in complete denial. It is false and has caused more death and
destruction than any other religion.

From the founder of Planned Parenthood:

It [charity] encourages the healthier and more normal sections of the world
to shoulder the burden of unthinking and indiscriminate fecundity of others;
which brings with it, as I think the reader must agree, a dead weight of
human waste. Instead of decreasing and aiming to eliminate the stocks that
are most detrimental to the future of the race and the world, it tends to
render them to a menacing degree dominant [emphasis added].11
Margaret Sanger
--

"To give certain dysgenic groups in our population their choice of
segregation [concentration camps] or sterilization", advocated the founder

Old March 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Guy Alcala

Stephen Harding wrote:

Guy Alcala wrote:

I'm unaware of that being the case. I think I can tell the difference between political humbug
and true belief. I have no doubt about, say, the sincerity of Senator Lieberman's beliefs, nor
do I (generally) doubt the sincerity of President Bush's. But when they start making a big
public deal out of it and mentioning God at every (politically) opportune moment, it starts to
smell.

Well if you're at a convention of xylophonists, you tend to talk
about xylophones, so I don't think it's terribly smelly to have
Bush talk religion at a religious convention (I believe that was
the context of his "God's delivery boy" statement).

Yet at least around here, there seems to be a belief he's promoting
born-again christianity, and the division between church and state
is being narrowed.

His religious base certainly is trying to do that, and at the very least, he's pandering to them.

[...]

And shouldn't be able to, for the same reason you can't put up a nativity scene. Alternatively,
anything goes, and anyone can put up anything they want, provided they pay for it. The problem is, at
some point someone is going to object to something that's there or say that there's not enough space
for something new, a public official will try to decide what's okay and what isn't or what is more
worthy of space, and the line has been crossed. Can Satan worshippers put up what they want? How
about followers of Santeria; nothing like a nice animal sacrifice to help you solve big problems.

Christians should be able to put up their nativity scene. Jews
should be able to (and somehow do) put up their menorah or star of
David, Islam...

And they are able to do so on their own property, just as much as they wish.

Placing these symbols in town space is NOT promoting religion.
It's allowing public expression. It's not "forcing" views on people
any more than having a flag waving on a flag pole (which I might add,
have also been objected to).

As long as anything goes, no problem. But anything _doesn't_ go, now does it?

No, it's saying that government can not favor one religion over another, nor can they sponsor one
or many. You want a nativity scene, feel free to pay for it (or get like-minded individiuals to
do so) and put it up on your lawn. Which is pretty much what happens around here. You want to
have a stone sculpture monument of the Ten Commandments? Be my guest, and mount it in your yard,
home or (in some cases) business. But it doesn't belong in the Courthouse.

It most certainly can belong on the courthouse lawn, if that is a
convenient public place. Religion is a part of national life.

For some (most), at the moment. It's no part of my life, and it has no business in civil, secular
government.

It
should not be excluded from the courthouse any more than "In God
we Trust" removed from coinage. It's a cultural expression as well
as religious.

"In God We Trust" may be part of your culture, but it's no part of mine since I'm not religious. Are
you saying that your culture is officially approved? And no, it doesn't belong on the money, any more
than the Masonic symbols do.

Separation of church and state simply means you can not say OK to
the nativity scene while excluding a Menorah during Chanukha.

The problem is, someone always wants to exclude something, and as soon as you start picking and
choosing, you're over the line.

Some were deeply religious, some went through the motions because it was expected, some were
agnostic or atheist. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to describe Benjamin Franklin as "deeply
religious." The important thing is that they all had the legal right to be of whatever religion

Actually, I'd call Ben and Thomas Jefferson quite religious
individuals, just not in an "organized" way.

It's a bit hard to say about Jefferson. I'm not sure how much of his supposed deism was just an
acceptable eccentricity for a politician, and how much of it was real. Franklin, no, I don't think
so. He felt religion could be useful and supported many churches across the spectrum, but his personal
beliefs seem to bepretty agnostic.

[...]

If the timing of the decision, and whther to make it at al, is made primarily for political
considerations, you bet it's calculating. Do I think Bush's speech at Ground Zero, when he said, off
the cuff, "the people who brought down these buildings will be hearing from us all real soon," was
calculating? Nope, that was what he felt.

Fundamentalist, and sometimes non-fundamentalist Christians such
as myself, don't particularly like the idea of gay marriage.
I live in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, so my right
wing thinking on this has been moderated into a willingness to
accept "civil union" for gays...or polygamists...or almost whatever.

Living in the SF Bay Area, and having spent a lot of time (while growing up) in the People's Republic
of Berkeley, I early came to the conclusion that what consenting adults wish to do is their business,
provided I'm not forced to participate. I dislike many things that my fellow human beings choose to
do, but if it doesn't injure me, what business is it of mine? I've got gay friends, relatives of
friends, co-workers, acquaintances, etc. I judge them on what kind of human being they are; why should
I care what gender they sleep with?

Personally, I think the simplest solution would be for government to get out of the marriage business
altogether, and just perform civil unions for everyone. The civil benefits of 'marriage' should apply
to all who wish to take it on, regardless of what it's called. If marriage is primarily a religious
exercise, then religions should be the ones to conduct them, and they can set any standards for what is
and is not a marriage that they choose, as they do now; parishioners will vote with their feet to find
a religion that suits them best, just as they always have (when not forced to adhere to a particular
one).

Whether you believe an amendment to obtain "correct" constitutional
interpretation of the issue on the part of judges, or some other
way, may or may not be a pandering to a political group.

That wasn't the pandering. The pandering was making a political calculation about whether to come out
and openly support such an amendment, or whether to just continue to make vague statements that could
be interpreted to mean anything or nothing, because it was felt the latter was politically safer.
Given the catalyst of the marriages in SF, and their clear understanding that the equal protection
clauses of both the California and Federal Constitutions will toss out defense of marriage acts (as
happened in Mass.), His religious base really put the pressure on for Bush to take an unequivocal
stand. The political calculation was clearly made that he'd lose a lot of his base if he didn't do so,
and not gain many converts on the other side, so he did it despite his obvious wish to finesse the
whole issue (much as the democratic leadership also wished to do). That is totally separate from his
personal beliefs on the subject, which seem to be fairly live and let live.

I personally don't like adding constitutional amendments whenever
a new "interpretation" of something comes up, but, what else can
you do besides be careful about the judges you appoint?

Avoid trying to legislate purely personal behavior, no matter how much the majority may disapprove of
it.

[...]

I had to think about this one for some time myself. Originally, I felt that it should be up to the
student to spend their scholarship money on any education they chose. But after further thought, I
decided that civil government has no business paying for a purely _religious_ education. I also felt
that sooner or later the civil government would find itself involved by having to make value judgements
of what is or is not an acceptable_religious_ education, and government just doesn't belong in that
arena. If cult X decides that the appropriate eligious training for their prospective ministers is to
send their students on a three year binge in Paris, is the government going to say, "whoa, we don't
think that's religious enough"? An extreme example, I agree, but it illustrates the problem.

For a slightly more benign example (IMO), I have no problem
with public vouchers for Catholic schools of choice, as long
as students who wish can opt out of any of the religious
components of such education. This is not be promoting
religion. It's promoting education!

I feel the same way myself, but try and find a Catholic school that lets you to opt out. A friend of
mine's parents sent him to a Catholic high school instead of a public one, despite them being
protestant, so he could get a better education. But opting out most definitely wasn't an option. Even
if it was, I tend to doubt that it would be practical to do so, as the whole environment is saturated
by the prevailing dogma. That could possibly be fixed, although it would tend to remove the religious
from religious schools, turning them into just another private school, and that's unlikely to be
acceptable to the parents who send their children their for that precise purpose.

Nevertheless, I'm a cautious fan of vouchers, provided that admittance and participation is completely
non-discriminatory, and the only other qualification for a school being acceptable for vouchers is its
educational standards. In other words, I don't want public funds going to support, say, Bob Jones'
University. This brings me back to the same dilemma as in the case of the theological grad school
above, but for whatever reason it seems more acceptable to me. I'm not saying that my drawing of the
line there can be defended on any strictly logical basis, because you really are splitting hairs.

Guy

Old March 22nd 04, 02:56 AM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

If you buy into Jay Gould's band aid and go with the physical geological
evidence, you are a Creationist too.

JT you're a hoot...evolution is NOT creation. Exactly where in ANY
body of scientific work has ANY peer reviewed scientific study/tract
made such a claim?

What is the specific physical geological evidence you keep posting?
Specific! Not just you're claim, cite your evidence...or not as you
are wont to do. You sound like Joe McCarthy, "I have in my possession
a list of..." but he never produced the list for review.

Point me toward ANY article published in a scientific magazine
(Nature, Scientific American, Discovery, Playboy, Penthouse...) in the
last year or two (or ten) that has "debunked" evolution...JUST ONE!

The only question beomes one of a causal observer,
or probabilistic chance. (as delta T becomes small).

Now you're just being silly again,

If you are a believer in Darwin's notional hypotehsis of origin of species,
you are in complete denial. It is false and has caused more death and
destruction than any other religion.

Quoting from Richard Dawkins on the BBC site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/darwi...st/dawkins.htm

It was Charles Darwin (Erasmus's grandson) who, spurred into print by
Alfred Russel Wallace's independent discovery of his principle of
natural selection, finally established the theory of evolution by the
publication, in 1859, of the famous book whose title is usually
abbreviated to the Origin of Species.

We should distinguish two quite distinct parts of Darwin's
contribution. He amassed an overwhelming quantity of evidence for the
fact that evolution has occurred, and, together with Wallace
(independently) he thought up the only known workable theory of the
reason why it leads to adaptive improvement – natural selection.

In general the evidence for the fact that evolution has occurred
consists of an enormous number of detailed observations which all make
sense if we assume the theory of evolution, but which can be explained
by the creation theory only if we assume that the creator elaborately
set out to deceive us. Modern molecular evidence has boosted the
evidence for evolution beyond Darwin's wildest dreams, and the FACT OF
EVOLUTION IS NOW AS SECURELY ATTESTED AS ANY IN SCIENCE.

JT evolution is a fact, the mechanisms of evolution are debated,
refined as new evidence is understood...peer reviewed research...open
for scrutiny.

I'm not denying anything...evolution works!

From the founder of Planned Parenthood:

Uhhh, OK...got no friggin' clue what it is you're trying to say.

Sorry if you feel defensive about declaring your fundamentalist
christian outlook (by choosing to make bogus claims of geological
evidence and quoting Margaret Sanger)

Juvat
Old March 22nd 04, 01:00 PM
Stephen Harding

Guy Alcala wrote:

A few final responses to your comments.

And shouldn't be able to, for the same reason you can't put up a nativity scene. Alternatively,
anything goes, and anyone can put up anything they want, provided they pay for it. The problem
is, at some point someone is going to object to something that's there or say that there's not
enough space for something new, a public official will try to decide what's okay and what isn't
or what is more worthy of space, and the line has been crossed. Can Satan worshippers put up
what they want? How about followers of Santeria; nothing like a nice animal sacrifice to help
you solve big problems.

Neonazi's can put up their flags and go goose stepping through
neighborhoods in Milwaukee. KKK types have their little public
exercises. Why not satan worshipers (if they don't already)?

Sacrifices? Well I'm not in favor of such a thing, but I'm
apparently not allowed to think poorly of gays on a religious
basis, and the social basis is currently under modification from
its previous definition. Perhaps sacrifice will gain social
acceptance too with proper argument and effort?

Every group pushes its rights. I personally feel any of the above
are not good things for society, both on a social basis, and on a
religious one. The "rights" issue in justifying behavior, or
promoting it, is a slippery slope environment. But it has always
been so, and the dynamics of pro and con are part of the political
discourse of the nation. Nothing to be feared or avoided.

"In God We Trust" may be part of your culture, but it's no part of mine since I'm not religious.
Are you saying that your culture is officially approved? And no, it doesn't belong on the money,
any more than the Masonic symbols do.

You do not have the constitutional right to be free of offense.
"In God We Trust" has gone beyond pure religious meaning. It's
now cultural, just like no one should prohibit Christmas trees or
Santa Claus images simply because they have christian origins or
bindings. It's like a cross on top of a church. It's in the
public space, but anyone who doesn't like christianity (or religion)
and is offended by the symbol just has to live with it.
(Personally, anyone "offended" by any of the major religious
symbols of the world is in need of a civility or diversity course!)

Living in the SF Bay Area, and having spent a lot of time (while growing up) in the People's
Republic of Berkeley, I early came to the conclusion that what consenting adults wish to do is
their business, provided I'm not forced to participate. I dislike many things that my fellow
human beings choose to do, but if it doesn't injure me, what business is it of mine? I've got
gay friends, relatives of friends, co-workers, acquaintances, etc. I judge them on what kind of
human being they are; why should I care what gender they sleep with?

Well we all judge people by different criteria. If you are seriously
religious, homosexuality is abomination and not to be tolerated.

How do you feel about polygamy? How do you feel about sex between
a 14 year old girl and a 30 year old man (or two 14 year olds for
that matter)? Are they bad humans? Is their behavior bothering
you? Why limit them on your definition of social appropriateness
any more than a religious one? In much of the world, humans are
adults at 13-15 and can marry. Our 18 and 21 year old definitions
are wholly arbitrary and artificial.

Personally, I think the simplest solution would be for government to get out of the marriage
business altogether, and just perform civil unions for everyone. The civil benefits of
'marriage' should apply to all who wish to take it on, regardless of what it's called. If
marriage is primarily a religious exercise, then religions should be the ones to conduct them,
and they can set any standards for what is and is not a marriage that they choose, as they do
now; parishioners will vote with their feet to find a religion that suits them best, just as they
always have (when not forced to adhere to a particular one).

My views are similar. I feel "marriage" is already "copyrighted",
if you will, by religion. City Hall should only give out civil union
licenses (perhaps to polygamists as well???). However a certificate
of union should not be easy to undo. It should take all the legal
effort and expense of a divorce.

[...]

Nothing the democrats aren't doing. This is treacherous political
stuff, especially for dems. You need to pay lip service to gay
rights, but polls tell you majorities aren't in favor of it and
feel rather strongly about it. What to do?

I define pandering as a sort of demagoguery, waiting to figure out
what direction is politically best for you before acting. No
personal beliefs or ideals involved whatsoever. Just telling
people what they want to hear.

I just checked the Webster definition of "pander". It's catering
to or exploiting the weaknesses of others, so I feel confident
that Bush isn't doing this, on this particular issue, as it is
truly his own personal conviction AFAICT.

Avoid trying to legislate purely personal behavior, no matter how much the majority may
disapprove of it.

We legislate personal behavior *all the time*. In fact that's
pretty much what our body of laws is all about!

Guess I've overstayed my welcome on this issue here at r.a.m, so
I'll close by saying I've enjoyed reading your comments. You've
made me think a bit, even though my attitudes haven't really
changed. Thanks for the comments.

SMH

Old March 22nd 04, 03:20 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Glenfiddich" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:04:21 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
If you are a believer in Darwin's notional hypotehsis of origin of

species,
you are in complete denial. It is false and has caused more death and
destruction than any other religion.

Evolution does not deny the Creation.

Evolution is false.

It just means that God wanted to show off a bit,
and did Creation the _hard_ way!

Geological evidence proves God did not do it that way.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:23 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Robey Price" wrote in message
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

If you buy into Jay Gould's band aid and go with the physical geological
evidence, you are a Creationist too.

JT you're a hoot...evolution is NOT creation. Exactly where in ANY
body of scientific work has ANY peer reviewed scientific study/tract
made such a claim?

Evolution is false.

What Jay Gould did is move Darwin's fairy tale a long way toward being
Creation, in order to reconsile evolution with hard physical geological
evidence that it is false.

snip of peer review childishness

Old March 22nd 04, 04:34 PM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, "Tarver
Engineering" confessed the following:

Evolution is false.

OK...how about this...

"In the broadest sense, evolution is merely change, and so is
all-pervasive; galaxies, languages, and political systems all evolve.
Biological evolution ... is change in the properties of populations of
organisms that transcend the lifetime of a single individual. The
ontogeny of an individual is not considered evolution; individual
organisms do not evolve.

The changes in populations that are considered evolutionary are those
that are inheritable via the genetic material from one generation to
the next. Biological evolution may be slight or substantial; it
embraces everything from slight changes in the proportion of different
alleles within a population (such as those determining blood types) to
the successive alterations that led from the earliest protoorganism to
snails, bees, giraffes, and dandelions."

- Douglas J. Futuyma in Evolutionary Biology, Sinauer Associates 1986

What Jay Gould did is move Darwin's fairy tale a long way toward being
Creation, in order to reconsile evolution with hard physical geological
evidence that it is false.

Darwin's evidence, Gregor Mendel's genetic research...fairy tales..OK,
unspecified physical evidence you cannot site is proof...OK

snip of peer review childishness

Peer review is childish? If peer review is childish how were
Einstein's relativity and Quantum physics verified? I guess cold
fussion works in your world.

Come on JT...just cite some bible passage as your proof that evolution
does not occur and be done with it.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
"W" is JFK's son and Bush revenge killed Kennedy in 1963 Ross C. Bubba Nicholson Aviation Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 11:30 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM