Opinions Wanted - Arrow, Archer, 182, 177RG, Early 210's

Old January 23rd 04, 07:02 AM
Dude

A local flight school has a '68 arrow that is well refurbished. It seems to
have a pretty good dispatch rate, and the owner is making good money off of
it.

It's really no speed demon, but pulling up the gear will likely add as much
satisfaction as an extra 10 knots would anyway. Of course, I am saying this
without any real knowledge of your mission and usage.

You can possibly get into a mooney - contact the owners group.

"PaulH" wrote in message
m...
I bought my 69 Arrow for $54K with good paint and upholstery, 2100 TT.
The pre-72 Arrow with 200hp engine is the best performer of the line,
since it is smaller for the same power. True, it only has 4.5 hrs
flying time at 75%, but that far exceeds my bladder capacity. Legroom
is fine in front, a little tight for adults in the back.

The retractible gear will cost more in maintenance than the Archer,
but it's about 10kts faster, and the gear is extremely simple in
design, much more reliable than any of the Cessna gear systems.

The IO360 is one of the best engines ever made.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:25 PM
Larryskydives

I sold my 172 yesterday, and will be delivering it to the new owner this
afternoon.

So I am on the hunt for my next aircraft.

At this time I am looking at:
182's
Arrow 200's
Arrow 180's
Cherokee Pathfinder 235

I have located several with low time engines, in the mid 50's. If you know of
anyone selling a quality aircraft, let me know.

Thank you for all of your opinions, they all have merit.

Larry
Old January 23rd 04, 02:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Cherokee Pathfinder 235

I have located several with low time engines, in the mid 50's. If you

know of
anyone selling a quality aircraft, let me know.

From the Cherokee Pilots Association webpage:
*************************************
1974 235, creampuff, 1340 TT, GNS-430, KMA-24, MX-11, Narco ADF, A/P, IFR,
tip tanks, NDH, $109,000 OBO, 608-835-8837.

1975 235, 3390 TT, 1540 SMOH, dual com, dual nav, g/s, Garmin 250 GPS,
Knots-2-U mods, $97,500, James Rivers, 713-823-1137.
*************************************
The second one is a bit on the high side, for the hours on the engine. But
they might be worth a look.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 23rd 04, 10:51 PM
Bob Noel

In article JoaQb.129579$I06.1120359@attbi_s01, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

From the Cherokee Pilots Association webpage:
*************************************
1974 235, creampuff, 1340 TT, GNS-430, KMA-24, MX-11, Narco ADF, A/P,
IFR,
tip tanks, NDH, $109,000 OBO, 608-835-8837.

$109,000 for a 30 year old engine? um....

--
Bob Noel
Old January 24th 04, 12:22 AM
CriticalMass

Dude wrote:

You can possibly get into a mooney

Well, that's the catch, of course.

As cramped as Mooneys are to get their "performance" numbers, getting in
is the first challenge.

Old January 24th 04, 12:47 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article JoaQb.129579$I06.1120359@attbi_s01, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

From the Cherokee Pilots Association webpage:
*************************************
1974 235, creampuff, 1340 TT, GNS-430, KMA-24, MX-11, Narco ADF, A/P,
IFR,
tip tanks, NDH, $109,000 OBO, 608-835-8837.

$109,000 for a 30 year old engine? um....

Just out of curiosity, what did that puppy sell for brand new?

Old January 24th 04, 11:12 PM
Jay Honeck

1974 235, creampuff, 1340 TT, GNS-430, KMA-24, MX-11, Narco ADF, A/P,
IFR,
tip tanks, NDH, $109,000 OBO, 608-835-8837.

$109,000 for a 30 year old engine? um....

Hmmm -- I hadn't noticed that! The O-540 is virtually bullet-proof, but 30
years? That's a looong time between overhauls.

I wonder if that's a typo? Everything else about the plane sounds great.

Just out of curiosity, what did that puppy sell for brand new?

That's a good question. Anyone know what a '74 Pathfinder sold for, new?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article JoaQb.129579$I06.1120359@attbi_s01, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

From the Cherokee Pilots Association webpage:
*************************************

Old January 25th 04, 02:28 AM
SeeAndAvoid

You'll probably be happy with any of the few you've narrowed it down to.
Everyone's 'mission' is different. Mine was load hauling and roominess. I
had more time in Arrows/Archers/Warriors than 177/182 by a longshot. I was
leaning towards that. After a trip with the wife and two kids in a C182,
then an Arrow, wife demanded I get a C182. I gladly obliged. After lots of
long trips loaded to the max, we are extremely happy with the airplane. It
has way outperformed beyond my expectations. A surprise was it's
willingness to get into the flight levels when I wanted it to, no small
issue living near the Rockies.

I really like the Cardinals, especially the RG's, and almost got one. Just
too underpowered and not as versatile as the Skylane. I hear it's more like
a car and the Skylane is more like a truck, but it works for us either way.

The Pipers mentioned above are cramped by comparison, and of course the one
door, don't really care for that. Especially when I had a small engine fire
and had to get out quick to put it out. I can't imagine doing it as quickly
in a Cherokee as I did in my airplane with minimal ($3 scat hose) damage.

The passing scenery keeps the kids better occupied with the high-wing, you
can camp under it, you can see your wheels in flight, you can avoid getting
soaked in the rain, on and on.

But like I said it's all up to what's important to YOU, none of the above
may matter. If it's all speed and sexiness, Skylane may not be for you.
But you could skydive out of it easier than a Cherokee.

Chris

Old January 25th 04, 05:51 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Ya, my wife said (flying w/ me in an Archer) "We need to get a faster,
roomier plane." (I love this woman!)

She now has an A36 Bo' (Well I do, but she rides in it a lot)

Couldn't resist, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.