Richard Ball

Old November 28th 11, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Richard Ball

http://www.dailycamera.com/obits/ci_19412735
Old November 29th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/28/2011 1:18 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.dailycamera.com/obits/ci_19412735

I enjoyed talking to him at conventions and reading his articles and I
used his varios for almost 20 years till 1994. No more new Ball varios
then, so I had to find something else for the new glider.

email me)
Old November 29th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:06:49 -0800, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

On 11/28/2011 1:18 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.dailycamera.com/obits/ci_19412735

I enjoyed talking to him at conventions and reading his articles and I
used his varios for almost 20 years till 1994. No more new Ball varios
then, so I had to find something else for the new glider.

Just as some background for younger pilots for whom the name of
Richard Ball may not mean much.

Richard Ball was the inventor and manufacturer of the Ball Variometer.
In the late 1960's, and throughout the 70's and early 80's, the Ball
Vario was one of the best electrical varios available. Richard's
concept was very innovative (US Patent 3,451,265). At this time, most
of the then newly introduced electric variometers used tiny heated
thermisters to measure the airflow in and out of a standard vario
flask. Richard's very innovative idea was to use a thin diaphragm with
a magnetic button attached. Differential pressure generated in the
small internal capacity resulted in the diaphragm deflecting, which
was sensed with inductive coils on either side of the diaphragm.

The advantage was fast response with the very light diaphragm, an
small internal capacity (no external flask), and good calibration over
altitude, which was something the thermister varios lacked. Later
models included a self contained tunable total energy capability.

A truly innovative engineer. Our condolances to the family.

Bob

Richard (Dick) Schreder Wayne Paul Soaring 0 February 5th 08 04:57 AM
a3b_skywarrior_142240_vah4_cva31-bon-homme-richard.jpg Troy24 Aviation Photos 0 July 12th 07 12:41 AM
Thanks Richard :) Mal Soaring 0 November 9th 05 01:15 AM
Passing of Richard Miller [email protected] Soaring 5 April 5th 05 01:54 AM
Richard Riley BRUCE FRANK Home Built 0 August 1st 03 02:58 AM