US Winching Sites

Old November 13th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

Default US Winching Sites

On Nov 12, 7:09*pm, wrote:
On Nov 12, 1:35*am, wrote:

On Nov 11, 10:55*am, Karl Striedieck
wrote:

We need examples of glider winch operations in the US at airports with
power traffic. Boulder comes to mind. Do readers know of other
locations?

Thanks

KS

The Carolina Soaring Association is actively winching off the
Spartanburg Downtown airport (KSPA). We have mixed traffic - anything
from home-built single engine planes to business jets, helicopters and
anything inbetween. Works well so far.

Uli Neumann
'CSA's Winchmeister'

Today, about 8-10 business jets came into KSPA since there is a
republican presidential debate at a local college tonight, all while
we were winching. It works since we all talk to each other and the
winch launch announcements are being made on the unicom frequency.
Only once did I have to tell one of the jet-jock's to hold their take-
off since the line was not on the ground, yet.
Uli Neumann

Uli,
I still have my Windenfahrerschein back from the 80's in Germany.
There were over 3,000 winch launches that I did at our Bisperode Ith
location (near Hamelin) from the winch drivers seat. Since you
probably need a relief driver now and then, it may be time for Renate
and me to relocate to Spartanburg.
Herb, J7
Old November 13th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

[...]

Herb, J7- Hide quoted text -

Hello Herbert,

that makes two with a 'Windenfahrerschein'! :-) And yes, I could use a
relief now and then despite having trained a number of operators by
now, so come on down this winter.

Uli
Old November 14th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Nov 11, 4:47*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Nov 11, 11:47*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Nov 11, 8:55*am, Karl Striedieck
wrote:

We need examples of glider winch operations in the US at airports with
power traffic. Boulder comes to mind. Do readers know of other
locations?

Thanks

KS

No winching at Boulder currently (yet).

From the winchdesign yahoo group.

May not be current or complete.

Notably missing
# High Flights, Meadow Lake Airport, CO *Hydrowinch
#Colorado Spring East, modified Gehrlein
#Rose City Soaring, Georgia
#Cache Valley Soarnig, Logan, UT (engine upgrade in progress?)
#Penn State Soaring Club, Mifflin, PA

Autotow included where applicable below.

"""Site Name""" * """Winch""" * * * """Autotow"""
Colorado Soaring Association\, Wellington\, CO * * * *Single drum\, 350cid
\, 4bbl No
#Soaring Sooners Glider Club\, Hinton\, OK * * * Gehrlein single drum
(modified) * * *Yes
#Orange County Soaring Assoc.\, Hemet\, CA * * * Gehrlein single drum * *yes
#Los Alamitos CAP * * * *Self made two drum * * *no
#AGCSC\, Torrey Pines\, CA * * * Roman design
#29 Palms Soaring Club\, Twentynine Palms\, CA * Gehrlein double drum * *yes
#Permian Soaring Association\, Odessa\, TX * * * Dual design\, single in use
\, 454cid * * * no
#Carolina Soaring Association\, Spartanburg\, SC homebuilt\, single drum
\, Ford 460cuin engine\, 310Hp *occasionally
Philadelphia Glider Council\, Hilltown\, PA * * Dual Drum Eagle Winch
Prescott Soaring Society\, Prescott\, AZ * * * *Yes * * No
#Finger Lakes Soaring Club\, Dansville\, NY * * *Yes * * ?
#VULTURES SOARING CLUB\, MARLETTE\, MI * DREW\, Chev. 350\, Single drum
NO
#Cross Country Soaring- Faribault\, MN * Gehrlein
#Wave Soaring Adventures- Toledo\, WA 253-380-8226 * * * Gehrlein
Faultline Flyers\, Briggs\, TX *No * * *Yes
Greater Houston Soaring Assocation (GHSA) * * * Yes\, retrofit of single
drum * *No *(sold, no longer winching)
Sandhill Soaring Club\, Gregory\, MI * *TOST Model 04 Double Drum * * * No
#El Paso Soaring Society Yes * * No
Mohawk Soaring Club\, North Adams\, MA *Yes * * No *(status unknown)

#Greater Boston Soaring Club (MITSA)
#Shreveport Soaring
#Menomonie Flying Club, WI, sidewinder winch yes yes

Those marked with a # operate or have operated off of mixed use public/
private airports using main runways, taxiways, or adjacent surfaces.

#Caprock Soaring Club, Littlefield, TX
Old November 14th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

We just purchased a winch this past weekend and are planning to use it
at the Pryor/ MidAmerica Airport (H71). We still need to get
permission
to use it here. There is very little power traffic except for about 6
active
local pilots and a few transitional pilots coming in for fuel.

Randy

Tulsa, OK

http://tulsasoaring.com/
http://talihinasoaring.com/