Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old October 6th 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

The EB29 with 25M span is listed at 63, same as the 21 M span JS2. Four more
meters doesn't buy you what it used to!

jfitch wrote on 10/6/2020 8:39 AM:
They are claiming 63:1, that is 7 points higher than AS claim of 56:1. I think it is best explained by a mistake in their math. I'd be interested in seeing the test data proving it.

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 12:53:25 AM UTC-7, Carlo Orsini wrote:
Thank you for your first hand infos, those are good news for me (I don't understand why they advertise these dimensions in a different way). JS2 seems to be a nice project overall. Hard to me to understand where they streched out those +4 points of efficency in 21m, according to their calculated polars, compared to ASH31 (yes I know that '31 profiles are a bit superseeded and the aspect ratio is a factor too but 4 points are a huge amount!!).
Those two dimensions for the JS2 and the ASH31 are clearly not be comparable - one internal cockpit rim and one external I guess. The 525mm shoulder width for the JS2 is exactly the same as the quoted figure for the JS1 (and JS3) and the JS1 cockpit roominess is fully equal to the ASH26/31 from which it was derived. I have 4 years in a JS1 followed by 2 in the ASH 26e and they are so similar that it would be hard to know which cockpit I was in with my eyes closed. Looking at the JS2 cockpit photographs it obvious that its structural cockpit rim design is the same as the 31, 26 and JS1. JS do not make small cockpits.

Old October 6th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 15:39 06 October 2020, jfitch wrote:
They are claiming 63:1, that is 7 points higher than AS claim of 56:1. I
th=
ink it is best explained by a mistake in their math. I'd be interested in
s=
eeing the test data proving it.=20

=
[...]

(=
and JS3) and the JS1 cockpit roominess is fully equal to the ASH26/31

from
=
which it was derived. I have 4 years in a JS1 followed by 2 in the ASH

26e
=
and they are so similar that it would be hard to know which cockpit I

was
i=
n with my eyes closed. Looking at the JS2 cockpit photographs it

obvious
th=
at its structural cockpit rim design is the same as the 31, 26 and JS1.

JS
=
do not make small cockpits.

I believe the Idafleig measured a JS1C at 63:1......so the JS2 witH its
few improvements on the JS1C should achieve that....

Old October 6th 20, 10:37 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote='Eric Greenwell[_4_];1030860']The EB29 with 25M span is listed at 63, same as the 21 M span JS2. Four more
meters doesn't buy you what it used to!

Only a lower span loading

:-) Colin
Old October 6th 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

email
me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorg.../download-the-

guide-1

Yes they say 60:1 for the JS1, but Idafleig measured it at 63:1 - there is

a Youtube video where Uys states this somewhere maybe this one
https://youtu.be/yoek1na7L98 - if your that interested contact Jonkers
yourself ..... or buy one and measure it yourself...... the JS5 will be
70:1
with 24m..

Old October 8th 20, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 9:48:47 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 10/6/2020 8:33 AM:
On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 3:37:33 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 8:04:18 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
The telling difference for was when I did a 30nm glide at Ely in my 26e
with an ASG29; I ended up 3,000ft below him!

Apologies all, I guess Tom's '26 perhaps isn't the "Best Overall Motorglider Available Today"...

Moral of the story: wing loading matters.

Tom

So, you were flying too fast for your wing loading, trying to keep up with the 29?

No, we were gliding at the same speed, but not flying wingtip to wingtip.

Tom
Old October 8th 20, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

wrote:
[...]

Someone might ask them how they came up with these L/D figures because I understand that they aren't from actual flight tests.

Tom
Old October 8th 20, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

THE JS1C TO MY KNOWLEDGE HAS BEEN MEASURED AT 63:1 BY THE
IDAFLEIG IN ITS FLIGHT TESTS- PROBABLY THE MOST RELIABLE WAY
OF MEASURING A GLIDERS POLAR. (I THINK THE JONKERS BOYS
WHERE SUPRISED BY THAT FIGURE AS IT IS RARE FOR A GLIDER TO
EXCEED ITS THEOROTICAL FIGURE -BUT IT DOES HAPPEN.) ALL
MANUFACTURERS FIGURES ARE AT BEST 'THEORETICAL' UNTIL
MEASURED.................. SOME ARE WILDLY OPTIMISTIC - BUT BEST L/D
DOESNT MEAN MUCH THESE DAYS REALLY................. ITS NOT AS
THOUFGH THIS AIRCRAFT AS NOT PROVED ITSELF IN THE CONTEST
ARENA IS IT.......

Old October 8th 20, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Idaflieg measurements are never published to the public.

Le mardi 6 octobre 2020 Ã* 22:37:22 UTC+2, jfitch a écritÂ*:

wrote:
[...]

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 12:17 PM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 01:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 05:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM