A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring Magazine - Memory test?

Old December 16th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson
external usenet poster

Default Soaring Magazine - Memory test?

Just by chance, did anyone keep a copy of the Flight Test article by Dick Johnson (Soaring Magazine) in which he showed the formulas he used to correct his flight test data to sea level conditions? (Or, maybe you just happen to know the month and year of the article?) I've now sorted thru lots of flight test articles on the SSA website but as if yet have not lucked out in finding that one article. Thanks, Darrel
Old December 16th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Brooks
external usenet poster

I think the May 1989 issue of Soaring has the article titled "Sailplane Performance Flight Test Methods". I can see the title but can't see the article itself online due to Flash player issues on the SSA website.

Mike
Old December 16th 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:05:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Brooks wrote:
I think the May 1989 issue of Soaring has the article titled "Sailplane Performance Flight Test Methods". I can see the title but can't see the article itself online due to Flash player issues on the SSA website.

Mike

Mike,

That's the article, good find. Perhaps your browser may be having Flash Player issues as different browsers have been suggesting to delete Flash and some have and I've made items available to other members. The SSA Archive server Flash Viewer stills works fine. That said, there is a project underway for a new Soaring Magazine archive viewer to be launched in the near future including the recent missing editions. It will remain word searchable.. This implementation will be released in stages to include responsive viewing for mobile devices.

Darrel,

Check your e-mail accounts for a link to a PDF copy of Soaring, May 1989. The article spans pages 26-37.

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST

Old December 17th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 3:08:20 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Mike

Mike,

That's the article, good find. Perhaps your browser may be having Flash Player issues as different browsers have been suggesting to delete Flash and some have and I've made items available to other members. The SSA Archive server Flash Viewer stills works fine. That said, there is a project underway for a new Soaring Magazine archive viewer to be launched in the near future including the recent missing editions. It will remain word searchable. This implementation will be released in stages to include responsive viewing for mobile devices.

Darrel,

Check your e-mail accounts for a link to a PDF copy of Soaring, May 1989. The article spans pages 26-37.

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9

That is the one - thanks Mike and Frank.

Darrel
Old December 17th 20, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weemacgregor
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 06:59:22 UTC-8, wrote:
Just by chance, did anyone keep a copy of the Flight Test article by Dick Johnson (Soaring Magazine) in which he showed the formulas he used to correct his flight test data to sea level conditions? (Or, maybe you just happen to know the month and year of the article?) I've now sorted thru lots of flight test articles on the SSA website but as if yet have not lucked out in finding that one article. Thanks, Darrel

For an alternate take by a master from the same generation, see:

"Gear Up, Sun Up" by Paul Bikle, Soaring July 1970.
Old December 17th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:46:26 AM UTC-5, weemacgregor wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 06:59:22 UTC-8, wrote:

For an alternate take by a master from the same generation, see:

"Gear Up, Sun Up" by Paul Bikle, Soaring July 1970.

Another article that will be extremely helpful - and it led me to the prior installment by Paul and that one led to one more by RHJ. Plenty of study to do while snowed (iced) in. Thanks.
Old December 18th 20, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12:08:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Mike

Mike,

That's the article, good find. Perhaps your browser may be having Flash Player issues as different browsers have been suggesting to delete Flash and some have and I've made items available to other members. The SSA Archive server Flash Viewer stills works fine. That said, there is a project underway for a new Soaring Magazine archive viewer to be launched in the near future including the recent missing editions. It will remain word searchable. This implementation will be released in stages to include responsive viewing for mobile devices.

Darrel,

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9

I tried two browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and neither worked with the archive.

Tom
Old December 18th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 5:17:27 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12:08:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Mike

Mike,

That's the article, good find. Perhaps your browser may be having Flash Player issues as different browsers have been suggesting to delete Flash and some have and I've made items available to other members. The SSA Archive server Flash Viewer stills works fine. That said, there is a project underway for a new Soaring Magazine archive viewer to be launched in the near future including the recent missing editions. It will remain word searchable.. This implementation will be released in stages to include responsive viewing for mobile devices.

Darrel,

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9

I tried two browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and neither worked with the archive.

Tom

Google for information on how to get Flash to work with the Chrome browser. Read the stuff with care and give it a try. Chrome will execute Flash so you can read the SSA archive files. Note that the most current Chrome browser has a few little differences from what you may find in Google articles ( there is no 'lock symbol" at the left end of the address field. In the current version of Chrome it is a little triangle. Click on it anyway and I then select "Allow" for running Flash. Works fine for me. By the way, I use a Mac.
Old December 18th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid
external usenet poster

If you use the SSA Magazine Archive Search function, the results will offer the choice of a downloadable pdf of the issue, avoiding the flash player problems.

Mike

Old December 18th 20, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 7:59:43 PM UTC-8, Mike Reid wrote:
If you use the SSA Magazine Archive Search function, the results will offer the choice of a downloadable pdf of the issue, avoiding the flash player problems.

Mike

Good to know Mike. I had not used the search function. Interestingly, the PDF print function does not work for me in the Safari browser but it does work for me in the Chrome browser. I use the Chrome browser rarely since it seems to use up a lot of memory. It works for this though.