Soaring Magazine - Memory test?

Old December 16th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson

Default Soaring Magazine - Memory test?

Just by chance, did anyone keep a copy of the Flight Test article by Dick Johnson (Soaring Magazine) in which he showed the formulas he used to correct his flight test data to sea level conditions? (Or, maybe you just happen to know the month and year of the article?) I've now sorted thru lots of flight test articles on the SSA website but as if yet have not lucked out in finding that one article. Thanks, Darrel
Old December 16th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Brooks

I think the May 1989 issue of Soaring has the article titled "Sailplane Performance Flight Test Methods". I can see the title but can't see the article itself online due to Flash player issues on the SSA website.

Mike
Old December 16th 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 10:05:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Brooks wrote:
I think the May 1989 issue of Soaring has the article titled "Sailplane Performance Flight Test Methods". I can see the title but can't see the article itself online due to Flash player issues on the SSA website.

Mike

Mike,

That's the article, good find. Perhaps your browser may be having Flash Player issues as different browsers have been suggesting to delete Flash and some have and I've made items available to other members. The SSA Archive server Flash Viewer stills works fine. That said, there is a project underway for a new Soaring Magazine archive viewer to be launched in the near future including the recent missing editions. It will remain word searchable.. This implementation will be released in stages to include responsive viewing for mobile devices.

Darrel,

Check your e-mail accounts for a link to a PDF copy of Soaring, May 1989. The article spans pages 26-37.

Best regards,

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, Region 9
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST

Old December 17th 20, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 3:08:20 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

That is the one - thanks Mike and Frank.

Darrel
Old December 17th 20, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
weemacgregor

On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 06:59:22 UTC-8, wrote:
Just by chance, did anyone keep a copy of the Flight Test article by Dick Johnson (Soaring Magazine) in which he showed the formulas he used to correct his flight test data to sea level conditions? (Or, maybe you just happen to know the month and year of the article?) I've now sorted thru lots of flight test articles on the SSA website but as if yet have not lucked out in finding that one article. Thanks, Darrel

For an alternate take by a master from the same generation, see:

"Gear Up, Sun Up" by Paul Bikle, Soaring July 1970.
Old December 17th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darrel Watson

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:46:26 AM UTC-5, weemacgregor wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 06:59:22 UTC-8, wrote:
Just by chance, did anyone keep a copy of the Flight Test article by Dick Johnson (Soaring Magazine) in which he showed the formulas he used to correct his flight test data to sea level conditions? (Or, maybe you just happen to know the month and year of the article?) I've now sorted thru lots of flight test articles on the SSA website but as if yet have not lucked out in finding that one article. Thanks, Darrel

For an alternate take by a master from the same generation, see:

"Gear Up, Sun Up" by Paul Bikle, Soaring July 1970.

Another article that will be extremely helpful - and it led me to the prior installment by Paul and that one led to one more by RHJ. Plenty of study to do while snowed (iced) in. Thanks.
Old December 18th 20, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12:08:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

I tried two browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and neither worked with the archive.

Tom
Old December 18th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 5:17:27 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
[...]

Google for information on how to get Flash to work with the Chrome browser. Read the stuff with care and give it a try. Chrome will execute Flash so you can read the SSA archive files. Note that the most current Chrome browser has a few little differences from what you may find in Google articles ( there is no 'lock symbol" at the left end of the address field. In the current version of Chrome it is a little triangle. Click on it anyway and I then select "Allow" for running Flash. Works fine for me. By the way, I use a Mac.
Old December 18th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Reid

If you use the SSA Magazine Archive Search function, the results will offer the choice of a downloadable pdf of the issue, avoiding the flash player problems.

Mike

Old December 18th 20, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 7:59:43 PM UTC-8, Mike Reid wrote:
If you use the SSA Magazine Archive Search function, the results will offer the choice of a downloadable pdf of the issue, avoiding the flash player problems.

Mike

Good to know Mike. I had not used the search function. Interestingly, the PDF print function does not work for me in the Safari browser but it does work for me in the Chrome browser. I use the Chrome browser rarely since it seems to use up a lot of memory. It works for this though.

Feedback needed on Advanced Soaring Made Easy book for Soaring Magazine review Paul Remde Soaring 1 April 14th 11 03:57 AM
Soaring magazine JJ Sinclair Soaring 24 November 14th 03 04:24 PM
SSA Soaring Magazine Mel Eastburn Soaring 0 September 29th 03 12:03 PM
FS2004 upgrade MB and memory or just memory? Don Purcella Simulators 3 September 16th 03 04:37 PM
Aug. Soaring Magazine (USA) Nolaminar Soaring 6 August 2nd 03 01:54 AM