ICOM A16 and the HM-240 speaker-microphone

Old March 11th 21, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

Default ICOM A16 and the HM-240 speaker-microphone

I have two A16 radios and two HM-240 speakermikes and I cannot get the speakermike's audio to be transmitted.

Pressing the speakermike's PTT does send the carrier but not the mike's audio.

I have set the A16's sidetone setting to 0, as I did on my A14 radio, to prevent feedback when using the speaker-microphone but that does not allow the mike's audio to be sent.

Is there some other setting or anything else I need to do?

Thank you.
Old March 11th 21, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
I have two A16 radios and two HM-240 speakermikes and I cannot get the speakermike's audio to be transmitted.

Pressing the speakermike's PTT does send the carrier but not the mike's audio.

I have set the A16's sidetone setting to 0, as I did on my A14 radio, to prevent feedback when using the speaker-microphone but that does not allow the mike's audio to be sent.

Is there some other setting or anything else I need to do?

Thank you.

Look at 'Set Mode' in your manual and check the Mic Gain and Mic Input
settings. If you don't have a manual use this link:
https://www.icomjapan.com/support/manual/1799/

Old March 12th 21, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:40:23 PM UTC-8, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
I have two A16 radios and two HM-240 speakermikes and I cannot get the speakermike's audio to be transmitted.

Pressing the speakermike's PTT does send the carrier but not the mike's audio.

I have set the A16's sidetone setting to 0, as I did on my A14 radio, to prevent feedback when using the speaker-microphone but that does not allow the mike's audio to be sent.

Is there some other setting or anything else I need to do?

Thank you.

Look at 'Set Mode' in your manual and check the Mic Gain and Mic Input
settings. If you don't have a manual use this link:
https://www.icomjapan.com/support/manual/1799/

Hi Tim,

The A16 sure has lots of settings. I have the Mic gain set to 'H' and the Mic Input set to 'AUTO' although I have also tried a Mic Input setting of 'INT". Are those settings not correct? I do have the manual. Thank you for the link to the manual.
Old March 12th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

Hi again Tim,

I meant I have set the Mic Input setting to 'EXT'. That did not seem to make any difference.
Old March 12th 21, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

Hi Jim,

If you wind up the sidetone, do you get feedback. That would check some
functionality.

You could ask the dealer from whom you bought the A16, or even the
importer. If you are in North America that will be:
https://www.icomamerica.com/en/contactus.aspx

Old March 12th 21, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

Yes, if I allow sidetone I do get lots of feedback squeal. I have exchanged email with ICOM support. They have offered suggestions about setting the sidetone off but so far not beyond that.
Old March 12th 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

That is always the first response. Keep on at them.

Old March 13th 21, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

Will do Tim. Thank you for your help.
Old March 13th 21, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_7_]

On 11/03/2021 21:17, jp wrote:
[...]

One of their responses is likely to be "are you on a COMM channel and
not a NAV or WX frequency". Also is VOX Off in settings?

Becker speaker/microphone box - shall i get rid of it? Domenico Bosco Soaring 3 January 3rd 21 11:47 AM
Microphone Cabel AS Soaring 6 April 28th 19 07:20 AM
FS Cheap Icom PW-1 1KW,Icom ID-1,IC-92AD,IC-756PRO III g0iqn Aviation Marketplace 0 July 1st 12 08:33 AM
Boom microphone ASM Soaring 0 June 30th 12 04:55 PM
Icom CM-35 Desktop Battery Charger for Icom IC-A2 Radio A. Kay Aviation Marketplace 0 August 23rd 03 08:01 AM