Oil cooler?

Old March 22nd 04, 03:23 AM
Rick

Default Oil cooler?

Hi guys.
The Hobbs on my Zodie HD clicked past the 20 mark this morning. I'm half
way to the magic number 40 when I can finally get outta this 50 mile
circle. All's going well, except the Jabiru 3300's CHT and oil temps
are still hotter than I want to see. At 2750- 2900 RPM's my hottest
cylinder runs about 335 degrees and the oil temp is about 230 degrees.
Lower RPM's yield CHT's 0f 250-300 and oil temps of 180.
I'd like to go to a larger oil cooler, the one that's in it is pretty
puny. I called the local Jabiru dealer in Fresno and he emailed me a pic
of his installation: http://www.lightflyers.com/oilcooler.jpg , a much
heftier multi-core setup.
I know a lot of you guys have gone down this road before, so I'm asking
for suggestions on what and where to pick up the right oil cooler. I'm
gonna hit a couple of the local race car suppliers tomorrow and see what
they have, but if any of you have already done the research and have any
thoughts, I'm all ears... errr, eyes.

Thanks,
Rick Pitcher

Old March 22nd 04, 09:41 AM
R&R Sherwood

I now have 23 hours on my Subaru SVX engine installed in my Glasair.
Originally I had no engine oil cooler....my oil temps looked a lot like
yours. Bought a small Setrab cooler, 6" x 2" x 2" from eBay. Temp now
normally 195 except in climb where I see about 210. I think I may need
to buy the next larger size, 6" x 4" x 2'" for the summer. You can find
any size you'll need on eBay.

Russell Sherwood
Houston, TX