new SSA web site

Old April 2nd 21, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3C

Default new SSA web site

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 9:54:20 AM UTC-5, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 6:02:47 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 5:48:43 PM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.

No Gene, its not about being overly cranky. I am an IT person, and I *have* been very lowly paid and/or a volunteer (hell, my day job is running IT for a non-profit right now).

There was no reason for the new site to be rolled out like this, NONE. All of the things they're working on could have been tested in-private and tuned/fixed, while the main website continued to exist and function just fine.

But the issue goes MUCH deeper than just how bumpy the rollout is. The organization of the new site bespeaks a lack of careful consideration of features and functionality, or of proper project management. It reeks of scope-creep, and of being driven by art/aesthetics instead of functionality, and of non-technical people in charge not knowing how to vet the technical workers or manage them effectively.

--Noel

Detailed data for each contest is gone, such as priority registration date, competitors, results, etc. Even pertinent data such as what classes are flying is inaccurate at some contests. Then, you need your old login to register for a contest.
The timing for the website change is abominable. Contest management must be pulling their hair out having such an impediment to last minute entries. This could "sink" some competitions this year.
Craig

It's not intuitive but one can get to the old competition data view with a little effort. Pull down the racing menu from the top of the home screen and then click on the registration button (says separate login next to it). Log in with your old login (Member ID and plus old password). You'll arrive at the registration page. That page has a number of pull down menu choices across the top. Pull down Sailplane Racing, and select racing calendar. This will take you to the old racing calendar view. Select a contest of interest and you can get contestant list, site info etc. Not as easy as the old scheme but I was happy to see I could get still get to the contestant information by a somewhat circuitous path.
Old April 3rd 21, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

I went to reset my password.

Seriously, it wants a 12 digit or larger password!

Crazy

92
Old April 3rd 21, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 10:38:20 AM UTC-4, kevin anderson wrote:
I went to reset my password.

Seriously, it wants a 12 digit or larger password!

You wouldn't want any hackers registering you for a contest now would you?
Old April 3rd 21, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Seriously, it wants a 12 digit or larger password!

Another case of website developer overkill. A 12 digit password and Captcha makes logging on way too much hassle for the limited amount of information I need from the SSA website.

As Dave Nadler says, "See Ya!"
Old April 4th 21, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 1:22:09 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
Seriously, it wants a 12 digit or larger password!

Another case of website developer overkill. A 12 digit password and Captcha makes logging on way too much hassle for the limited amount of information I need from the SSA website.

As Dave Nadler says, "See Ya!"

Jurassic park website! I don't think that we got what we expected.
Old April 4th 21, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Gene -

FWIW, I've done a bunch of volunteer work for soaring: Serving on the BoD and acting as Treasurer for multiple clubs in my area. Organizing and helping to run Cross-Country mentorship events (like the Ephrata "Dust Up") for several years. Acting as Contest Manager for our Regionals for several years. Acting as CD for a Nationals contest or two.

I'm also an IT professional who's been a web-developer for both for-profit and non-profit entities.

Volunteer labor is always in short supply and yes there is always a minority of folks who do a majority of the work. I get that.

I do not doubt that people had the best of intentions in their hearts. And I do not doubt that everyone involved sincerely wants a good outcome. I am sure they are nice individuals whom I'd love to chat or fly with.

But none of that excuses poor project management, which this website redesign is obviously guilty of. And well-meaning-but-poorly-executed help from volunteers is not as good as a smaller amount of well-executed volunteer or paid professional work.

In 20+ years of running IT for small businesses and non-profits, I cannot help but be frustrated by so many "rookie mistakes" and glaring problems (*after* setting the site "live" for the world to see). Not when there were better options available, and so many opportunities for engagement with the members who could've provided services or donations "in-kind". Its one thing if the SSA BoD reached out to the membership with a call for help, and then whittled it down to a key group of individuals as a focused committee (to keep the chaos in-check). But AFAIK this wasn't done. Some deal was put together without engaging the membership, and then this new site was sprung on us right at the start of Soaring and Contest season; with major disruptions (which Craig pointed out quite astutely).

There was absolutely no reason for it to happen this way. Its just terribly, terribly disappointing.

--Noel

Old April 4th 21, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

Funny, 5821 people were bit..chen about whether SSA should apologize to 2 1/2 women for overreacting to a silly dated ad and only 11 are acting like the 2 1/2 women because the SSA webmaster has Noel Wade in his gunsite.
Here's a tip...
Buy Micon....it will be up 30% in three months.

Old April 4th 21, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R[_4_]

{ Micron...MU }
Old April 4th 21, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 11:56:30 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
[...]

First of all, thank you to the volunteers for their effort. We have to acknowledge that the website was not properly tested, and not ready to go live. SSA needs to seek professional IT help to make sure we are not dealing with a broken website for months.
Old April 6th 21, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (DY)

Try this:
From the new SSA homepage, mouse over the "Membership" tab. This brings up three options and you want the "Members" Only Resources." Go down to "Member Services" and click on that. This will bring you to a page with "SSA Member Resources." Click on the "Log In" button. That brings you to a login page, for which you use your "old" login info. Login and you will be greeted by your name. Go to the "Home Page" and you will now be in the old SSA website links (the underlay to the new webpage) and will be able to find info you are familiar with across the board - the "old" racing menu, records, calendar, Johnson Report access, etc. As time goes on, the front page should eventually provide a smooth interface to all this.

SSA web site Roger Soaring 15 April 3rd 05 05:47 PM
EAA site down? Jay Honeck Piloting 5 March 7th 05 05:12 AM
new site for creating project log and web site Rob Home Built 2 November 23rd 04 06:21 PM
See My Site Jürgen Exner Simulators 0 January 5th 04 12:37 AM
site FBI © 2003 Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 11:47 AM