Are these disqualifying?

Old February 21st 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Are these disqualifying?

Atrial fibrillation? (Increasingly common as we age)
Warfarin sodium? (Anticoagulant)
Atenolol (a beta-blocker)
Old February 21st 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Stubby wrote:
Atrial fibrillation? (Increasingly common as we age)
Warfarin sodium? (Anticoagulant)
Atenolol (a beta-blocker)

I'm not 100% sure about atrial fibrillation but I believe that unless it is
severe and symptomatic, it is not disqualifying. Bouth Coumadin (wayfarin) and
Tenormin (atenolol) are specifically allowed.

From Part 67.211 (you will find 67.311 for a 3rd class certificate is
identical):
Cardiovascular standards for a second-class medical certificate are no
established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(a) Myocardial infarction;

(b) Angina pectoris;

(c) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment or, if untreated, that
has been symptomatic or clinically significant;

(d) Cardiac valve replacement;

(e) Permanent cardiac pacemaker implantation; or

(f) Heart replacement.

Standards for a first class medical are more limiting and a snake pit you'd be
wise to avoid.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old February 21st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Atrial fibrillation? (Increasingly common as we age)
Warfarin sodium? (Anticoagulant)
Atenolol (a beta-blocker)

I'm not 100% sure about atrial fibrillation but I believe that unless it is
severe and symptomatic, it is not disqualifying. Bouth Coumadin (wayfarin) and
Tenormin (atenolol) are specifically allowed.

From Part 67.211 (you will find 67.311 for a 3rd class certificate is
identical):
Cardiovascular standards for a second-class medical certificate are no
established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(a) Myocardial infarction;

(b) Angina pectoris;

(c) Coronary heart disease that has required treatment or, if untreated, that
has been symptomatic or clinically significant;

(d) Cardiac valve replacement;

(e) Permanent cardiac pacemaker implantation; or

(f) Heart replacement.

Standards for a first class medical are more limiting and a snake pit you'd be
wise to avoid.

I only need to keep my 3rd class certificate. I don't have any of the
symptoms you listed. However, the big risk of fibrillation is stroke
because blood pools in the heart and forms a clot which can be released
and lodge in the brain. I believe that would affect my flying and would
be surprised if the FAA did come to the same conclusion. After a
echocardiogram, I'll have a chat with my AME. Thanks for your help.
Old February 21st 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Stubby wrote:
I only need to keep my 3rd class certificate. I don't have any of the
symptoms you listed. However, the big risk of fibrillation is stroke
because blood pools in the heart and forms a clot which can be released
and lodge in the brain.

That's why you're taking Coumadin.

I believe that would affect my flying and would
be surprised if the FAA did come to the same conclusion. After a
echocardiogram, I'll have a chat with my AME. Thanks for your help.

Yes, a stroke would definitely affect your flying. If you have one you probably
would want to see a doctor. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE