Right Rudder

Old August 15th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Right Rudder

Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it? How come so many of todays pilots seem to hug the
left side of the runway?
Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?
Its a sad situation.
Your comments or observations?
Old August 15th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder

Huh?

Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?

The FAA performs initial CFI checkrides directly so if a CFI candidate
doesn't have a handle on it, it should be immediately apparent to the
FAA itself.

What with the zero-flap forward slip to landing demonstrations and
cross-control stall discussion, not to mention all of the aerodynamic
questions on the CFI written alone, I don't think anybody will find that
the CFIs don't understand what they're trying to teach.

-c
Old August 15th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it?

I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with regard to
rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of the head if I
didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because she's a
veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I presume that
means she's good with animals and mongrel students like me.

;-)
Old August 15th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Aug 15, 2:42*pm, gatt wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder

Huh?

Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?

The FAA performs initial CFI checkrides directly so if a CFI candidate
doesn't have a handle on it, it should be immediately apparent to the
FAA itself.

What with the zero-flap forward slip to landing demonstrations and
cross-control stall discussion, not to mention all of the aerodynamic
questions on the CFI written alone, I don't think anybody will find that
the CFIs don't understand what they're trying to teach.

-c

Then you should fly with the current crop of CFI's and ask them hard
questions about what they do and why?
It appears you have bought into the idea the FAA is the "be all, end
all " and is the untimate authority. I have a hard time with new CFI's
who can't teach a forward slip without the longitudinal axis going 10
degrees off line. They don't have a clue how to use the rudder
effectively.
And what of the zero flap forward slip to a landing? What about the
cross control stall discussion? To what meaning? BFD they can discuss
it and can't perform it and not have a clue how it relates to a spin
entry. Spins? What a joke. I challenge you to show me 10 out of 100
new CFI's who can do a coherent discussion and demonstration of spins
and recoveries or who have actually done them? Discussions are great
but its like sex. You can talk until you are blue in the face about
sex but don't have a clue until you have participated it.
Old August 15th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it?

I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with regard to
rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of the head if I
didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because she's a
veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I presume that
means she's good with animals and mongrel students like me.

;-)

She could of course throw you to the dogs :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 15th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot
need right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have
any understanding of it?

I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with
regard to rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of
the head if I didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because
she's a veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I
presume that means she's good with animals and mongrel students like
me.

;-)

She could of course throw you to the dogs :-)

That would worry me mightly if I had not already met the dogs. :-)
Old August 15th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot
need right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have
any understanding of it?
I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with
regard to rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of
the head if I didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because
she's a veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I
presume that means she's good with animals and mongrel students like
me.

;-)

She could of course throw you to the dogs :-)

That would worry me mightly if I had not already met the dogs. :-)

Well, that being the case, you could of course become the teacher's pet!!
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 15th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
f-newguy

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot need
right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have any
understanding of it? How come so many of todays pilots seem to hug the
left side of the runway?
Such a frustration for CFI's and I wonder how many of the current crop
of CFI's have a handle on it or even understand what they are trying
to teach?
Its a sad situation.
Your comments or observations?

Something must have changed radically since I got my private ticket eleven
years ago. I remember a lot of emphasis on the rudder.

Old August 15th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 15, 2:14*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
On Aug 15, 2:42*pm, gatt wrote:

[...]

I think you need to not generalize so much. I imagine most "current
crop of CFI's" you are referring to are people with roughly 250 hours
TT. Obviously they are not going to be Chuck Yeagers. And if you're
one of those 10,000+ hour pilots who can do it all, those CFI's are
going to look more worse than they really are.

As long as they can teach someone else how to fly without crashing in
the process or wasting a ton of time/money, then everything will be
OK. If, for some reason its still not OK, then just don't hire CFI's
with low time. Because there is really nothing else you can do about
it.
Old August 15th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Oh my goodness....Right Rudder? Why in the world would any pilot
need right rudder and why do so many of todays pilots fail to have
any understanding of it?
I'm training in a glider - I hadn't noticed any asymmetries with
regard to rudder use. I suspect my CFI would slap me on the back of
the head if I didn't use appropriate rudder. Okay, maybe not, because
she's a veterinarian when not acting as a CFIG on the weekends, so I
presume that means she's good with animals and mongrel students like
me.

;-)
She could of course throw you to the dogs :-)

That would worry me mightly if I had not already met the dogs. :-)

Well, that being the case, you could of course become the teacher's pet!!
:-))

Groan.

:-)

more rudder to the right???? [email protected] Piloting 1 August 6th 08 04:09 PM
WTD. SGS 2-33 Rudder [email protected] Soaring 0 December 20th 06 04:31 AM
WTB. SGS 1-35 Rudder [email protected] Soaring 0 July 22nd 06 07:28 PM
c-152 rudder??? houstondan Owning 39 December 21st 04 09:21 PM
1-34 Rudder DGRTEK Soaring 23 February 16th 04 04:36 AM