medical question

Old September 13th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default medical question

Jon Kraus wrote:
I can tell by your posts that you aren't out of your twenties yet. Am I
wrong?

Yes.

And honestly, that "I'm so mature I think I can tell when people are
young" isn't mature, it's just annoying.
Old September 13th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
Plus.. I'm based at Metro and I know who you are (I think I know
anyway)... I wasn't trying to be mean. I have a daughter your age (25)
and I am amazed at how naive she still is.. It's not a crime....

I'll introduce myself the next time I'm in there...

I'm not based at Metro (if you mean UMP), never was, only flew in there
three times and haven't lived in Indiana since graduating from college.
So I doubt you know me.
Old September 13th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

Plus.. I'm based at Metro and I know who you are (I think I know
anyway)... I wasn't trying to be mean. I have a daughter your age (25)
and I am amazed at how naive she still is.. It's not a crime....

I'll introduce myself the next time I'm in there...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Jon Kraus wrote:

I can tell by your posts that you aren't out of your twenties yet. Am I
wrong?

Emily wrote:

Jon Kraus wrote:

I would require that the doctor be competent in his diagnosis before
I would list it. Seeing me for 5 minutes and then calling me
depressed wouldn't count in my book. But if you want to list it as
such you have the right and the resulting nightmare would be your
reward.

It doesn't sound like you have participated too much in "the game of
life" yet. You'll understand more as you get a little older...

I've participated in life plenty....you don't even know how old I am.
I've just never experienced a doctor singlehandedly try to get my
medical revoked for absolutely no reason.

Old September 13th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

I believe a medical Dr of that "rating" is not qualified to diagnose
depression, that is a psychologist or psychiatric diagnosis.

BT

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
I've been running a 102 degree fever for the past two weeks and have been
so tired I can barely get to work. Finally made a doctor's appointment
(with a new doctor) today, but wasn't planning on getting in the same day
and had taken Tylenol for the fever...so no fever when I showed up.

Long story short, he ordered some blood work, but told me he thinks that I
am depressed, since I have fatigue with no fever. He said that if the
blood work comes back normal, he's writing it up as depression.

Obviously he's an idiot, since 1) fatigue has so many other causes and 2)
I don't have depression, never have. This is just a bogus diagnosis.

My concern is, if he writes this up in my medical records, do I have to
report it to the FAA? I'm really terrified of this.

Old September 13th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
I stand corrected... There is a CFI named Rachael on the board at Metro
and I though that is who you were..

I would be willing to bet that most (not all, but most) women CFI's are
still in their 20's building hours... So you are one of the "outside the
box" people. Sorry for any misunderstanding.. Good luck with your
flying career...

Well, I'm not an active CFI, and I don't instruct to build time...

Old September 13th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Emily wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Viperdoc wrote:
The true diagnosis of depression is generally made when a patient
complains of a specific set of criteria symptoms. Simply calling
someone depressed because they are fatigued or tired is lazy,
irresponsible and poor medicine.

Is that grounds to have his AME certificate removed? What is the
process? The AME may have problems of his own that need looked at.

This wasn't an AME.

Then what is the problem? Keep this crap to yourself unless you think you've
become unsafe to fly. I've said it befo I have two physicians: my flight
guy and my real doctor. The two have never met.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 13th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
I would require that the doctor be competent in his diagnosis before I
would list it. Seeing me for 5 minutes and then calling me depressed
wouldn't count in my book. But if you want to list it as such you have
the right and the resulting nightmare would be your reward.

It doesn't sound like you have participated too much in "the game of
life" yet. You'll understand more as you get a little older...

Jon, I'm with you on this. I've been wrung through the system where I lost my
medical for 15 years courtesy of a bogus medical blip. It took an expensive EKG
/ stress test / heart cath to show my coronary arteries are COMPLETELY clear.
Right up to the heart cath, all of the results were false positives. And of
course, I never had any symptoms. As a result, I have zero confidence that the
FAA will do the right thing in any particular instance.

I fear our sweet Emily is too much of a girl scout to keep this to herself. She
probably blabs her guts to the IRS as well. Some people just can't be helped.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 13th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Emily wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Viperdoc wrote:
The true diagnosis of depression is generally made when a patient
complains of a specific set of criteria symptoms. Simply calling
someone depressed because they are fatigued or tired is lazy,
irresponsible and poor medicine.

Is that grounds to have his AME certificate removed? What is the
process? The AME may have problems of his own that need looked at.

This wasn't an AME.

Then what is the problem? Keep this crap to yourself unless you think
you've become unsafe to fly. I've said it befo I have two physicians:
my flight guy and my real doctor. The two have never met.

Or she could simply never go back to that doctor.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 13th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Looking at this situation from a distance, without knowing any of the
parties, there are two possible scenarios. Either there is more to the
story than you are relating or the doctor wrongly diagnosed without
sufficient medical history. In either case, should you for whatever
reason feel obliged to report this on your next physical, simply (and
truthfully) report that you saw the doctor because of a fever that has
resolved. If the fever hasn't resolved, see another doctor and don't
even mention the first one.