Baby Bush will be Closing Airports in California to VFR Flight Again

Old March 8th 04, 05:10 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Immigration is a priviledge, not a right.

....which was precisely what I was saying. The country you have right of
abode in is chosen merely by where you were born; something you have no
choice over. If you choose to live somewhere else, regardless of which
country 'somewhere else' happens to be, it usually requires considerable
effort to achieve this.

If you happen to have citizenship of a country which is nice to live in,
it's not just a right, it's also a privilege (that most of the rest of
the world doesn't get to enjoy). As someone else said, rights and
privileges are not mutually exclusive.

Personally, I learned at a very young age that I
was very lucky to be born in Britain.

Yet you left and are trying to stay here, right?

No. The first line of my signature shows I live in British territory.

I lived in the US for a few years, but I never pursued permanent
residency, so you are incorrect on both counts. I have no plans to live
in the US again in the forseeable future. Does that mean I don't like
the US? NO! Not at all! I enjoy visiting the US, I only returned from a
trip to Houston (paid for out of my own pocket, not a company trip) last
week, and I'll probably go again this year after the heat of summer has
died down.

I might have the right of abode where I live now. But I feel enormously
privileged to have this right of abode. It's not just about having good
cellular service, a car, regular flying and high speed Internet access
(not to mention a good cup of hot tea and fabulous beer), but also living
in a place of outstanding natural beauty as well as having my basic
human needs met (including freedom of expression and freedom of religion
or lack thereof). Much of the world's population doesn't have their basic
human needs properly met. I am extremely glad I wasn't born somwhere
like North Korea. I hope you are too.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 8th 04, 06:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news9T1c.42536$ko6.377510@attbi_s02...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I regard
the Republicans as fiscally Conservative.

Perhaps they once were -- but they sure aren't anymore. Which
is why we desperately need a third party in this country.

Hell, even the Democrats were once fiscally conservative.

A fiscally conservative political party, without all the religious
baggage, would win in every precinct.

If that's so why don't Libertarian candidates win?

Old March 8th 04, 06:32 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim Weir" wrote in message

Those are called Democrats with a brain, Jay. And yes, I am aware
that we are a vanishing breed.

Not vanishing, extinct.

..Harry S. was the last decent one in the Big House.

Grover Cleveland was the last decent Democrat in the White House.

Old March 8th 04, 07:26 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:27:12 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Just remember: privileges can be revoked, whether it's flying an aircraft,
driving a car or ...

Actually, the US government has taken the position that using our
national airspace is a right. From the Federal Aviation Act of 1958:

Sec. 40103. Sovereignty and use of airspace

(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit. -

(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of
airspace of the United States.

(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit
through the navigable airspace. To further that right, the
Secretary of Transportation shall consult with the
Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board
established under section 502 of the Rehabilitation Act of
1973 (29 U.S.C. 792) before prescribing a regulation or
issuing an order or procedure that will have a significant
impact on the accessibility of commercial airports or
commercial air transportation for handicapped individuals.

It is my understanding that driving has been recently held by the
courts to be a right.

Old March 8th 04, 07:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

It is my understanding that driving has been recently held by the
courts to be a right.

Really! State or Federal?

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Immigration is a priviledge, not a right.

...which was precisely what I was saying. The country you have right of
abode in is chosen merely by where you were born; something you have no
choice over. If you choose to live somewhere else, regardless of which
country 'somewhere else' happens to be, it usually requires considerable
effort to achieve this.

Actually, my statement about immigration is not really correct. A proper
definition of human (individual) rights would say you have the right to
live wherever you choose (except on property already owned), but that is a
whole different thread in itself. IOW, I support free& open immigration.

I didn't want to get involved in a lengthy, off-topic thread....but the
devil made me do it.

Old March 8th 04, 10:58 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news9T1c.42536$ko6.377510@attbi_s02...

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I regard
the Republicans as fiscally Conservative.

Perhaps they once were -- but they sure aren't anymore. Which
is why we desperately need a third party in this country.

Hell, even the Democrats were once fiscally conservative.

When was ANY party fiscally conservative after about 1820?

A fiscally conservative political party, without all the religious
baggage, would win in every precinct.

If that's so why don't Libertarian candidates win?

Because they're not "mainstream", I guess. Of course, if libertarians were
mainstream, we wouldn't have these problems in the first place, regardless
of who was in power.

Voters love spending other people's money just as much as politicians do.
That's why they voted for them in the first place.

Old March 9th 04, 01:10 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:27:47 GMT, "John T" wrote in
Now, an argument can be made that emplacing these TFR's - and having to
advertise them ahead of time - actually *decreases* his security since his
position and time of arrival is made known ahead of time. If nobody knows
when he is to arrive or at what airport, the "Bad Guys" would have a harder
time getting to him, wouldn't they?

Security by obscurity isn't.

Old March 9th 04, 01:13 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:41:43 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

It is my understanding that driving has been recently held by the
courts to be a right.

Really! State or Federal?

If I recall correctly, it was Denny O'Connor who mentioned it in this
newsgroup many months ago.
Old March 9th 04, 04:37 PM
John T

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Security by obscurity isn't.

That's not necessarily true, but I'm curious why you'd say that when you
seemed to be making the argument that you didn't think Presidential TFR's
are warranted. Are you now saying they are?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM