Help with laws, modifications vs accessories, Regarding Interior lighting.

Old March 14th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Help with laws, modifications vs accessories, Regarding Interior lighting.

JB wrote:
On Mar 13, 8:35 pm, "Stan Prevost" wrote:
Why not just wear an LED headlamp? Red, white, whatever color you prefer.
The light always shines where you point your nose.

Stan

After wearing one for several flights, I found it to be very
uncomfortable. No matter how loose I made the strap (just short of
falling down), the pressure on my forehead gave me a headache after an
hour or so. I've now got one of those 3-LED lights you clip on the
front of a ball cap. Same lighting, no square indent on my
forehead! The only thing I miss is that the headlamp had an up/down
swivel...abit better for looking down at a map.

--Jeff

I got a thing called a Blackout Light by Navaire, which is essentially
a tiny flashlight with adapters to stick it on your headset.

It snaps on a little swivel thing so you can point it where you want
and take it off when you don't want it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 15th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stan Prevost

"JB" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 13, 8:35 pm, "Stan Prevost" wrote:
Why not just wear an LED headlamp? Red, white, whatever color you
prefer.
The light always shines where you point your nose.

Stan

After wearing one for several flights, I found it to be very
uncomfortable. No matter how loose I made the strap (just short of
falling down), the pressure on my forehead gave me a headache after an
hour or so. I've now got one of those 3-LED lights you clip on the
front of a ball cap. Same lighting, no square indent on my
forehead! The only thing I miss is that the headlamp had an up/down
swivel...abit better for looking down at a map.

--Jeff

Yeah, well, whatever works for you, but I have found that something like
that is more effective and lots cheaper that trying to improve the panel
lighting. My Saratoga is well lit, but I still wear the headlamp. And for
renters, you are on your own for lighting.

Stan

Old March 15th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 12, 3:52 pm, "EridanMan" wrote:

It got me thinking about doing a similar thing to upgrade the pathetic
night-lighting of my panel.

Have you considered an AshLight? http://www.pinnacleproducts.biz/

I put one of these in my Cherokee's pilot side ashtray slot to
augment the panel lighting and it works great. I'm considering
getting another for the passenger side to use assist in nightime
boarding.

They use very bright red LEDs and run on a couple of AAA batteries,
so there's no electrical connection (or FAA paperwork).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 15th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michael[_1_]

On Mar 14, 12:17 pm, "John" wrote:
It is going to get worse.

Of course it is. This is the FAA we're talking about. Motto: "We're
not happy until you're not happy."

They are not going to make aviation safer by going this route. People will
just go underground.

Or they won't. That STILL won't make aviation safer. Look at the
example we're dealing with. In any sane world, adding some panel
lights to a cherokee is a minor alteration, and something that should
be done on an A&P's signature. Just stick to 43.13 - use wire that
can take the load, fuse it appropriately, use the proper hardware -
and then no matter what happens, the worst that will happen is that
you'll have to fall back on the flashlight. But no...

So what's going to happen? The owner will keep messing with
flashlights. This is WRONG. Use of a flashlight in the cockpit is
distracting. It should be an emergency procedure, not a normal one.
Every flight instructor worth his salt will tell you that night flight
is more dangerous not because of the tiny chance of engine failure
with nowhere to go, but because of the increased workload. And what's
the major factor in the increased workload? Poor visibility in the
cockpit. Because our lighting systems suck, and most GA pilots are
still using flashlights in the cockpit.

Now the technology is there to make a simple and cost-effective
improvement - but the FAA stands in the way. I am absolutely serious
when I say that the FAA is the biggest safety problem in GA.

They will make the replacement part and then get
creative in installing it to look like it was thier all the time.

Yup. But that only works when you use the same obsolete technology
the plane was built and certified with.

It's already happening in lots of small out
of the way airports but it will spread.

Sure is. Only way most normal folks can affort to fly.

Michael