Looking for a PZL compass

Old February 9th 04, 06:28 PM
Kirk Stant

Default Looking for a PZL compass

I'm looking for a PZL KI-13A compass to replace mine that has become
almost unuseable - the plastic window has clouded and the numbers
cannot be read very easily anymore (understatement!).

Anyone out there have one sitting on a shelf gathering dust? I know,
what do I need a compass for...well, my equipment list says I need
one, and being an old Air Force navigator I kind of like having it
there to remind me of how horrible it was in those pre-GPS days!

And the little KI-13A is the only compass I can squeeze onto my LS6
panel (I refuse to put one on top, where it hides the towplane, and
makes reflections in the canopy).

I checked all the US and Canadian dealers - no luck. Either they are
really popular, or really crap and aren't made anymore! And the
manufacturer in Poland won't answer my emails to them, despite a nice
website showing the compass in all it's glory (at
http://www.pzl.com.pl/en/produkty.html).

Anyway, can anyone help? How about it, Janusz, how about waking up
your countymen and tell them to answer their mail?

Kirk
Off to the gliderport to wax my wings
Old February 9th 04, 07:49 PM
mm

"Kirk Stant" wrote in message
om...
[...]

See (near the bottom):
http://www.dianasailplanes.com/pricing.html

Old February 9th 04, 09:07 PM
Eric Greenwell

Kirk Stant wrote:
I'm looking for a PZL KI-13A compass to replace mine that has become
almost unuseable - the plastic window has clouded and the numbers
cannot be read very easily anymore (understatement!).

Have you considered a small auto compass of the "ball" style" (a bit
smaller than a golf ball)? Cheap, small, not too hard to mount, works
fine in my glider. No adjustments, but it's close enough, considering
how I fly a glider, even before I had GPS to do the navigation. I don't
think you need a TSO'd compass for an "experimental" licensed glider.
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old February 9th 04, 10:06 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Kirk,

Tom Knauff used to carry them, but I don't see it on
his web site now. You could always call and see if
he has one.

Tim Mara's web site still shows it there. You could
call him, too.

I haven't checked John Murray's Eastern Sailplane site
or the LS folks in Canada.

I still have my 'brand new' little PZL compass in the
box under my bed. Why under the bed? I still haven't
figured out where to put it! It would be nice if I
could mount it temporarily in different places before
I go and cut something I wish I hadn't.

And it's too cold here to go waxing anything!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old February 9th 04, 10:51 PM
Tim Mara

Generally PZL instruments can be pretty good, but I'm no longer going to
carry the PZL compasses.....they are impossible to warranty here and can and
often have leaked in the past. the normal panel mounted PZL compass seems to
be OK but the little LI-13AK seems to have more problems and PZL does not
answer any email or messages I ahve sent to them.
Tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

Old February 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Kirk Stant

Thank you for all the responses, allow me a few comments:

mm, I checked the Diana site, and $296 is a bit much for a compass
that lists for about $150 in the US and Canada. The Euro has gone up,
but not that much!

Eric, I actually tried one of those, and the one I found (admittedly
at a cheap car parts store) bounced around so much that it was pretty
much useless. Also, it read "backwards", showing the compass
directions as you would see from above, not reversed as is needed on a
compass seen from behind. I haven't really looked any further, so
there may very well be some workable ball compasses out there. As far
as Experimental, my LS6 flight manual lists a TSO'd compass on the
minimum equipment list, and as I understand the nature of
"Experimental-racing" as applied to JAR-certified gliders, I legally
should comply with that equipment list. Comments, anybody?

Ray, I checked W&W, K&G, and Solaire - all were out. I'll give John
Murray a call and see if he has one. Thanks for the tip. I was in
Goldsboro last week working on Seymour Johnson AFB and it was a bit
chilly - I used to be stationed there in the AF and flew with the NCSA
at Wilson and Harnett County. I wonder what happened to the old 1-23
they had; I really liked that old piece of tin - a true SIFOW glider
if there ever was one.

Tim, it's nice (?) to hear that I'm not the only one having trouble
communicating with the folks at PZL - I hope they are reading this!
BTW, still no word from Arndt. I think he's hiding out with Osama,
trying to fix al-qaeda's database software...What a great partner!

Hans, I thought about a Bohli, but they are extremely rare in the US
and haven't found any dealers for them (plus they are a bit
expensive). Are they the ones that could be used for cloud flying and
were banned for a while? Or just flat mounted compasses with a
reflecting mirror? Anyway, probably a bit out of my price range (I
saw one for sale at the Glider Forum for $250, I think), but thanks
for the info.

Cheers!

Kirk
Old February 12th 04, 09:27 PM
--=JJay=--

Uzytkownik "Kirk Stant" napisal w wiadomosci
om...

Hi

I've tried to send you email but I failed.
Mail delivery system said " unknown "
write to me and I'll send you what Ive found.

Regards

--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl

Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 06:01 PM
help - whiskey compass has gone wild Jim Piloting 5 July 12th 04 03:33 AM
Do you use your magnetic compass? Roger Long Piloting 42 May 25th 04 12:08 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 04:24 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM