Spot or InReach ??

Old May 8th 18, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Spot or InReach ??

My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. Tried a google search for information on the next gen two-way spot but could not find anything!

Question: if one was to purchase a new tracker which one would you choose and why? I am temped to renew my Spot and run with the Gen3 until the new two-way is released. I like that it (new Spot) has it's own keyboard and screen, but the features are not known. My other option would be to get the InReach mini. However, the InReach plans are set for 10 minute tracking intervals unless you pay $79.95 per month on an annual plan. With the spot plan for $214.95 a year I have 2 minute interval tracking.
Old May 8th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 4:14:08 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. Tried a google search for information on the next gen two-way spot but could not find anything!

Question: if one was to purchase a new tracker which one would you choose and why? I am temped to renew my Spot and run with the Gen3 until the new two-way is released. I like that it (new Spot) has it's own keyboard and screen, but the features are not known. My other option would be to get the InReach mini. However, the InReach plans are set for 10 minute tracking intervals unless you pay $79.95 per month on an annual plan. With the spot plan for $214.95 a year I have 2 minute interval tracking.

No, you will not have 2.5 min tracking, you will have 10 min tracking. To get the 2.5 min tracking, you have to add the Extreme package for another $100 per year, for a total of $325 per year.

Tom
Old May 8th 18, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Get the Inreach, much more reliable network.

$25 per month for "Reliable" Unlimited 10 minute tracking.
Old May 8th 18, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

I'd strongly recommend the Garmin InReach (older larger one is just fine... just sew a pocket on your parachute).

InReach's plans are complicated and difficult to price. There is a monthly plan that gives you... I believe.. either 5 or 10 min updates. But, at least for that, you get the ability to display altitudes to the person tracking you and ... most important... outbound text messaging.

The Enterprise plan often used for aviation is the one I use. Go to Paul Remde's Cumulus site to see how the pricing works. You pay by the number of bytes transmitted. I change my monthly rate from ~$20/month winter around 1500 bytes (you can disable the account for ~$7/month). During flying, contest or X-country season I raise it to 8000 bytes at ~$35/month. You can raise it to the next level higher plan anytime, but pay a $25 one time penalty for lowering it. One of the other benefits of the Enterprise plan is that you can change the sampling interval before takeoff to anything between 1 minute and 10 minutes. As I said it's complicated. During contests or long flight into "tiger country" I set it to 2 minute updates.

I estimate it's costing me $400/year for this service as long as I carefully manage the monthly plans for my flying. Not bad for peace of mind...

Walt Rogers WX

Old May 8th 18, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

One more point about the Garmin InReach. Before a long cross country, contest or event, I carefully consider what information for emergency contacts will be recorded on the web site. I change my 1st and 2nd emergency contact, add notes about the type of flight and backup crew. Here's a sample of my InReach tracking page for, I believe, the last four years:

https://share.delorme.com/0b71a31caf...243ad768883515

One can filter to a particular day or time range by using the pull down menu "Filter Map" top left corner of page. Most of the flight are 2 min updates... but sometimes for local flying I set it at 5 minutes.

Walt Rogers WX

Old May 8th 18, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:23:23 AM UTC-4, WaltWX wrote:
One more point about the Garmin InReach. Before a long cross country, contest or event, I carefully consider what information for emergency contacts will be recorded on the web site. I change my 1st and 2nd emergency contact, add notes about the type of flight and backup crew. Here's a sample of my InReach tracking page for, I believe, the last four years:

https://share.delorme.com/0b71a31caf...243ad768883515

One can filter to a particular day or time range by using the pull down menu "Filter Map" top left corner of page. Most of the flight are 2 min updates... but sometimes for local flying I set it at 5 minutes.

Walt Rogers WX

New user question...

Is there some way to sync (some fraction of) my existing cell phone contacts with inReach using Earthmate? It doesn't look like there is.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 8th 18, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X

From InReach Contacts page: Add the people you contact the most. By syncing contacts to an iOS, Android, or inReach SE/Explorer, you'll save time and message space.
Old May 8th 18, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 9:07:09 AM UTC-4, 6X wrote:
From InReach Contacts page: Add the people you contact the most. By syncing contacts to an iOS, Android, or inReach SE/Explorer, you'll save time and message space.

I can read that too.

I was under the impression that I would be able to import contacts from my cell, which would be a tremendous time saver and reduce the likelihood of errors. The sales blurb seemed to at least hint that this was possible. If it is, I haven't yet figured out how to do this.

Hope that clarifies.

T8
Old May 8th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 5:14:08 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. Tried a google search for information on the next gen two-way spot but could not find anything!

Question: if one was to purchase a new tracker which one would you choose and why? I am temped to renew my Spot and run with the Gen3 until the new two-way is released. I like that it (new Spot) has it's own keyboard and screen, but the features are not known. My other option would be to get the InReach mini. However, the InReach plans are set for 10 minute tracking intervals unless you pay $79.95 per month on an annual plan. With the spot plan for $214.95 a year I have 2 minute interval tracking.

I have used both extensively. The inReach is more reliable and just plain works. I am so glad I switched.

The backpack tether works brilliantly with my parachute chest strap. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-11855-00

Also, the new mini inreach is really neat.
Old May 8th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:14:08 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. Tried a google search for information on the next gen two-way spot but could not find anything!

Question: if one was to purchase a new tracker which one would you choose and why? I am temped to renew my Spot and run with the Gen3 until the new two-way is released. I like that it (new Spot) has it's own keyboard and screen, but the features are not known. My other option would be to get the InReach mini. However, the InReach plans are set for 10 minute tracking intervals unless you pay $79.95 per month on an annual plan. With the spot plan for $214.95 a year I have 2 minute interval tracking.

It's hard to make an argument in favor of Spot. I cancelled my subscription moments ago (15 minutes elapsed time, one threat to call my credit card company, full refund issued for an automatic renewal (I never authorized automatic renewal)).

With inReach, if you fly 100 hours during 6 months a year, you can do this: Freedom / Safety plan @ $15 a mo + $25 a year + $0.10 per point, ten minute tracking, $60 for 100 hours of flying, total $175 (plus some miscellaneous fees) per year. You get unlimited use of preset messages (similar to old style Spot except you get confirmation that the message was sent) plus you have two way txt capability, 10 a month, $0.50 per msg beyond that. I'll use Inreach tracking if I am doing something, er, ambitious. Else I'll use cell tracking in areas with known good service and use inReach to send the landed safely, landed out / bring trailer & beer msgs.

I bought the old style Delorme Explorer because it's available at Cabela's for $200. It works fine, it should work fine on my parachute. The mini, announced literal hours after I ordered the DeLorme, *is* really cool, small is beautiful. The upside of the older/larger unit is more battery, maps (maybe handy if I end up in some really remote area), compass and a screen just big enough I can use without glasses (bail out scenario).

I'm not going to miss Spot.

Side note, if you are inclined to stick with Spot, Spot 2 service plan is still about $165 a year. You can have my Spot 2 for beer money (email me if anyone actually wants it).

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8