Garmin 430 error message: "com requires service"???

Old July 26th 05, 12:03 AM
Guy Byars

Default Garmin 430 error message: "com requires service"???

I'm having trouble with the com in my Garmin 430. The audio reception was
getting scratchier and scratchier on it, then in the MSG screen, I get an
error like: "com requires service".

My local avionics guy says all he can do with it is ship it back to Garmin.

Anyone else had this problem?

Guy Byars

Old July 26th 05, 01:41 AM
Jon Kraus

When we purchased our Mooney our Garmin 430 had the comm board crap out.
We would have it tuned to our home field CTAF but would be picking up
conversations that we knew were not on that frequency.

We shipped the unit back to Garmin and for a flat fee ($600.00) they
completely go through the unit. Not only did they replace the comm board
they updated all the soft and firmware, replaced the screen, and
bezel. We got the unit back looking and operating like new.

One thing you should do is call negotiate with Garmin on the
refurbishment price. I got them to knock down their fee to $400.00 just
by talking to them.

I found the entire experience to be not too painful. We even got a
loaner 430 while ours was gone. I think it takes Garmin 2-3 weeks to get
your unit repaired.

Good luck

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old July 26th 05, 02:28 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Had the same message. Got a loaner from Garmin and had the unit repaired.
It happened about 30 days after install.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

"Guy Byars" wrote in message
.. .
I'm having trouble with the com in my Garmin 430. The audio reception was
getting scratchier and scratchier on it, then in the MSG screen, I get an
error like: "com requires service".

My local avionics guy says all he can do with it is ship it back to
Garmin.

Anyone else had this problem?

Guy Byars

Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Microsoft Flight Simulator and Garmin aviation handheld GPS John Bell Piloting 4 March 25th 04 11:56 AM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
"Stand Alone" Boxes (Garmin 430) - Sole means of navigation - legal? Richard Instrument Flight Rules 20 September 30th 03 02:13 PM