Looking for a new hand held GPS

Old March 17th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Looking for a new hand held GPS

I've had my Garmin GPSMAP 195 for about 10 years now. I think it's time
to get something newer - I've been looking at the 196, 296 and 396 and
trying to decide which one to get.

I find the 195's screen very easy to read - I have no objections to it at
all. So I figure the 196's screen should be the same. But I have
questions about the readability of the 296 and 396 colour screens - are
they as good in bright sunlight? Can their backlights be dimmed right
down when flying at night?

Also, I can't find anything in the 296 and 396 screen shots showing a
split screen with a map and a HSI, only an arc overlayed on the map. Is
that the only option? Those of you who've used it, is the arc overlay
as easy to use as an HSI? Does the arc stand out from the ground
features?

Another thing I can find in 196 screen shots that I can't find on the 296
and 396 is extended runway center lines. Do they not do that?

Finally, if I were to NOT get the XM weather subscription right away, is
there any point to the 396 over the 296, or is the XM the only real
difference between them?

And here's the real obscure question: At one time, Garmin was advertising
a link that would let you use your 195 as a moving map for one of their
non-moving map panel GPSes. Have they ever done something similar for
their newer GPSes?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I have a feeling the auditors haven't looked at crontab yet, but I'm
Old March 17th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote:

I find the 195's screen very easy to read - I have no objections to it at
all. So I figure the 196's screen should be the same. But I have
questions about the readability of the 296 and 396 colour screens - are
they as good in bright sunlight?

The 296 is good--the 396 is better. I've never had trouble seeing either
one. Color makes both better than the 195.

Can their backlights be dimmed right
down when flying

Yes.

Also, I can't find anything in the 296 and 396 screen shots showing a
split screen with a map and a HSI, only an arc overlayed on the map. Is
that the only option?

No. You can display map with HSI.

Those of you who've used it, is the arc overlay
as easy to use as an HSI?

I very seldom use it, so I can't testify.

Does the arc stand out from the ground
features?

Yes.

Another thing I can find in 196 screen shots that I can't find on the 296
and 396 is extended runway center lines. Do they not do that?

They do it.

Finally, if I were to NOT get the XM weather subscription right away, is
there any point to the 396 over the 296, or is the XM the only real
difference between them?

The 396 display is better; there are a few other new features. But do get
the WX; it is revolutionary. It is such a quantum leap in capability that
the other stuff seems insignificant to me.

And here's the real obscure question: At one time, Garmin was advertising
a link that would let you use your 195 as a moving map for one of their
non-moving map panel GPSes. Have they ever done something similar for
their newer GPSes?

Don't know.

--
Dan

'Gut feeling'

Intestinologists concur that the human gut does not contain any
rational thoughts. What the human gut *is* full of is moderately well
known.

Old March 17th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
I find the 195's screen very easy to read - I have no objections to it at
all. So I figure the 196's screen should be the same. But I have
questions about the readability of the 296 and 396 colour screens - are
they as good in bright sunlight? Can their backlights be dimmed right
down when flying at night?

I have a 296, and a friend has a 396. I'd heard the concern about seeing
a color screen in the daylight before I bought it. It's NO problem
whatsoever to see the screen/features in the sunlight (I'm in AZ!). You
can adjust the brightness to your liking on both units, and both change
illumination on their own at sunset/sunrise. There are many mounts
available in addition to the ones it comes with.

Finally, if I were to NOT get the XM weather subscription right away, is
there any point to the 396 over the 296, or is the XM the only real
difference between them?

I don't know what *all* the differences are, but weather is the major
one, and that's a great feature if you live in areas where you deal with
weather often or if you do lots of long x-cs. Of the times I've been in
the right seat with my friend using his 396, aside from the weather, I
haven't seen him do anything else with the 396 that the 296 doesn't do.

I absolutely love my 296. The manual is not very helpful, but once you
figure out how various features work, it's great. I had zero prior GPS
experience, and I love how I can program in waypoints that aren't
already in the database, program the route the night before the flight
and save it and/or edit it for next time. On most screens, you can pick
and choose what data YOU want it to display.
Old March 18th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:00:28 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

But I have
questions about the readability of the 296 and 396 colour screens - are
they as good in bright sunlight?

No. That's been a problem for me, flying an L-4 type with lots of
sunshine pouring in.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 20th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul, you know you can download the manuals for each unit from Garmin's
website.
Old March 20th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

I've had my Garmin GPSMAP 195 for about 10 years now. I think it's time
to get something newer - I've been looking at the 196, 296 and 396 and
trying to decide which one to get.

After moving from a 195, to a PDA (HP4700), to the 396, I can tell you
that the 396 has by far the best display and is very legible in direct
sunlight.

I do not use the arc overlay, as I generally prefer "North Up"
orientation--I used the same orientation on my 195. However, the arc is
easily visible over the map on the 396.

The 396 can be interfaced with panel-mount GPS units for flight plan
information. With the most recent beta software, it will interface with
the 480 and non-Garmin units as well. However, I do not believe that
the 396 map can be driven from a panel mount, but the flight plan will
certainly come over from the panel mount, which should accomplish the
same objective.

If you fly cross countries of any appreciable distance, XM weather is
hard to live without once you've experienced it. There is no upgrade
path from the 296 to the 396 other than a forklift upgrade, so if you
think that you might want XM weather in a self-contained unit at some
point down the road, the 396 is probably your best bet.

JKG
Old March 20th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Paul Tomblin wrote:
[...]

I have the Garmin 12, very similar to your 195, except without the map.
I still use mine for flying (but with more and more panel mount GPS, I
don't use it as much as before). The Garmin 12 is a barebones GPS, but
works flawlessly. It tells me everything I need to know. I am wondering
what your reasons are for 'getting something newer'.

Old March 20th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Someone asked about the 296/396's arc display. (For some reason I didn't see
the OP)

I have a 296.

I use the arc view enroute and north up on departure and approach.

Jon

Old March 20th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Andrew Sarangan" said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
I've had my Garmin GPSMAP 195 for about 10 years now. I think it's time
to get something newer - I've been looking at the 196, 296 and 396 and
trying to decide which one to get.

don't use it as much as before). The Garmin 12 is a barebones GPS, but
works flawlessly. It tells me everything I need to know. I am wondering
what your reasons are for 'getting something newer'.

Faster display updates, especially when zooming. Storing more routes.
Being able to see a HSI or something equivalent and the map at the same
time. New toy.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Frankly, your argument wouldn't float were the sea composed of