Karma catches up to Mayor Daley

Old February 7th 04, 05:49 AM
Dean Wilkinson

Default Karma catches up to Mayor Daley

Daley gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar! Karma for
destroying Meigs field?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=18&u=/ap/20040207/ap_on_re_us/chicago_trucking_scandal_1
Old February 7th 04, 07:48 AM
C J Campbell

I guess both Daley and CBS are finding out that what goes around comes
around.

Still, I would be surprised if anybody but Daley's accusers are fined or
imprisoned. SOP for the Democratic machine. He has already fired the only
reputedly honest man in Chicago -- his budget director. The director
probably is the one who blew the whistle.

Old February 7th 04, 07:58 AM
C J Campbell

I also think it is hysterically funny that Daley thinks he can convince the
public that his budget director is responsible for Daley's taking bribes
from all of his friends and relatives. I wonder how much those insurance
policies that his brother sells cost those trucking companies, anyway? What
is Daley's theory of why his budget director was giving those illegal
contracts to his friends and relatives, anyway? How would that benefit the
budget director?

Old February 7th 04, 10:19 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message
m...
Daley gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar! Karma for
destroying Meigs field?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...p/20040207/ap_
on_re_us/chicago_trucking_scandal_1

Nothing new. If anybody thought Slick Willy was the vasoline man, they've
never seen Chicago politics. A few of his underlings' heads will roll, but
just the "little people", the ones that don't matter (the everyday guy that
ISN'T connected). King Dick will come out smelling clean as a whistle.

And if he doesn't? Don't matter anyway, he's mayor for life. Nobody will
run against him, he won last time with something like 86% of the vote.
Sigh...

Old February 7th 04, 05:56 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Still, I would be surprised if anybody but Daley's accusers are fined or
imprisoned. SOP for the Democratic machine.

You are implying the Republicans do better in this regard. I say BS; both
parties have demonstrated quite clearly they are unable or unwilling to
police their own.

Old February 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Still, I would be surprised if anybody but Daley's accusers are fined or
imprisoned. SOP for the Democratic machine.

You are implying the Republicans do better in this regard. I say BS; both
parties have demonstrated quite clearly they are unable or unwilling to
police their own.

Oh come on, Trent Lott is proof Republicans police their own.

Old February 7th 04, 07:25 PM
C J Campbell

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| Still, I would be surprised if anybody but Daley's accusers are fined or
| imprisoned. SOP for the Democratic machine.
|
| You are implying the Republicans do better in this regard. I say BS; both
| parties have demonstrated quite clearly they are unable or unwilling to
| police their own.

Actually, the Republicans have demonstrated that they are far more willing
to censure their own. Republicans will vote to investigate and even remove
from office their own politicians. Every vote on a Democratic politician's
corruption, however, has been straight down party lines for as long as I can
remember -- and that is a very long time. Both parties could do a much
better job, but overall I would have to say that the party of Tammany Hall
and Chicago has shown an almost infinite capacity for corruption and
apologizing for it.

Kennedy won by fewer votes than were garnered from obvious voter fraud in
Texas alone. He maintained numerous organized contacts. Johnson, perhaps the
most qualified President we have had in the last century, was also perhaps
the most ruthless. Nixon resigned after being told that he did not have the
support of his own party in an impeachment proceeding. Agnew resigned
because of tax fraud, whereas Johnson blackmailed the IRS agents who were
investigating him.

Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter were weak nonentities, but both had their share
of scandals. Reagan typically fired officials who were accused of
corruption, and was so over-zealous that he often ignored due process or any
semblance of fairness.

Clinton turned stonewalling investigators into an art form, jailing and
fining anyone who dared to investigate him. If he couldn't do that, he
smeared their reputations endlessly. Despite all that, he was eventually
convicted of perjury, but his impeachment proceedings were straight down
party lines. Apparently the Democrats were willing to forgive just about any
kind of behavior from one of their own and were willing to do anything to
obstruct a fair investigation. Clinton's "legacy" may well be the final
abandonment of any sense of decency in politics.

Newt Gingrich resigned during the Clinton administration even though it was
later proved that he did not cheat on his income taxes. Nevertheless,
Democrats continue to pillory the poor man as "corrupt." It is worth noting
that while Newt did not violate the tax law, many organizations dominated by
Democratic politicians such as the Sierra Club, Consumers Union, the
Teamsters, and the National Education Association continue to ignore the
income tax code with impunity. They actually are guilty of what Gingrich was
only accused of, but they obstruct every attempt to investigate their
activities. The NEA in particular has been held in contempt of court for
refusing to fly with federal law, but they simply ignore the court orders,
too. "Ah, another contempt judgment. Throw it on the pile with the rest."

Trent Lott and many other Republicans have resigned over sexual and
harassment scandals, but not one Democrat that I know of has ever done so.
It was particularly galling to listen to Ted Kennedy talking about how
Packwood was a predator.

Democrats have made a lot over Halliburton, but have not shown one single
member of the administration could possibly have benefited from that
scandal. Conversely, the open sale of the White House, nuclear secrets to
China and North Korea (a country still technically at war with the United
States), destruction or withholding of documents involving Whitewater,
imprisoning potential witnesses, and issuing thousands of Presidential
pardons to other potential witnesses were all hallmarks of the Clinton
administration.

Democrats have also constantly attacked Bush for not being "elected," while
attempting to disenfranchise the military and in spite of enormous voter
fraud in Nevada, Texas, Illinois, and elsewhere. Taking out the voter fraud,
Gore probably lost by more votes than there were in the entire state of
Florida.

Did you really want to open that can of worms? Or are you so in thrall to
the Democrats that you are willing to overlook almost anything? What, did
they threaten to cut off your welfare? :-)

Old February 7th 04, 07:46 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

You've got it wrong,,, it's not the democratic machine, it's Daley's 'mob
boss' politics which Chicago never seems to have been able to get away from.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 7th 04, 07:52 PM
John Gaquin

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message news:HtCdnfj-

Oh come on, Trent Lott is proof Republicans police their own.

Come on, Mr Tarver!!! I'm a Rep, but I think Trent Lott is proof of only two
things: A) some people stay really, really, stupid no matter how much
experience they have; and B) hair spray works.

Old February 7th 04, 08:41 PM
Tarver Engineering

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message news:HtCdnfj-

Oh come on, Trent Lott is proof Republicans police their own.

Come on, Mr Tarver!!! I'm a Rep, but I think Trent Lott is proof of only

two
things: A) some people stay really, really, stupid no matter how much
experience they have; and B) hair spray works.

Juat saying something as stupid as Lott did will get you out of the Senate
Majority Leader's Office.

When Byrd said something stupid, it was not a problem.