Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Old November 23rd 18, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.
Old November 23rd 18, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

To answer the subject question:* Buy the one you like best, not what
someone tells you to buy.* Just because you buy the "top" ship does not
mean you'll win any contests.* Find what's comfortable for you, they all
perform pretty much the same and you'll want to be comfortable above all
else.

My 2 cents,

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 24th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 10:33:55 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.

Please be sure to let us know how you like it and how it performs, once you have a few hours in it. Thanks.
Old November 26th 18, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for answering Ben. Great choice, I’m thinking about going on the GP 15 list as well!!!
Old May 9th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 7:33:55 AM UTC+2, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Hi Marco. I ended up ordering a GP15.

Hello,

I was wondering if the 50 L/D is actually real.
How is this glider's thermaling and slow speed flying performance and handling?
Old May 9th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was wondering if the 50 L/D is actually real.

Why of course!
Isn't that's what is printed in the brochure?
Old May 10th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It would be great if we could get some feedback of how this glider behaves at slow speeds, and in thermals, what's it's climbing performance and especially handling. Does it require a lot of work and concentration from the pilot to keep it circling at low speeds? Does it do unannounced spins? What's the feel in general? I have no doubt it's a good jumper, my questions are mostly about climbing and handling. If anyone gets to test it and compare it to other gliders it would be great, cause I might be considering buying this glider. Other variant is a LAK-17c-FES 18m self-launch, or an older ventus 2cM.
Old November 26th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:36:06 PM UTC-8, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of an 18m FES equipped sailplane...

You could always just build one.