Most Competitive Club Class Ship

Old April 4th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Most Competitive Club Class Ship

I've flown with/against Chip the whole time he's owned that -24. Starting with an LS4 (a great climber), I still couldn't out climb him, but he did walk away on long runs especially at higher speeds. So I bought an LS8. Still couldn't out climb him (in 15M configuration), and it was really hard to tell any difference on the run. So I bought a -29. Except in the tightest and trickiest thermals, still no difference in climb (in 15M). Definitely better on the high speed runs, but not enough to be game changing. So I put on the 18M tips... :-)

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 7:52:11 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 5:39:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've owned my ASW 24 for 28+ years and see no reason to change, especially since UH helped me refinish it a few years ago. As he noted, it's competitive in Std., Club and Sports. I've also flown 15 Meter Combined here in the East (handicapped), and 15M (again, back East there's not a lot of difference). I flew straight up against the Discus 2 and LS-8 for years and didn't see much if any difference so the fact that I get a small handicap now is great. Throw in Gerhard Waibel's safety cockpit and the fact that the '24 wing is almost impervious to the slow curing and profile warping that can occur with other gliders and it's a winner. I'm biased, of course.

Two caveats:

1) though I can't speak from experience, I understand that the '24 must be "flown" a bit more than, say, a Discus or LS; and

2) you'll want to upgrade the winglets if it still has the factory tips.. From experience, UH can help there, too, as he can if you find one that's been shot up by loud-talking, gun-toting aerial cowboys.

Chip Bearden
JB

Chip, I have the old P1 that Ray Galloway had, I have flown it against a few other sailplanes and without a doubt it performs very well. Some of the 15 meter gods with flaps would be shaking their heads looking at my rear side. Eileen flies it most of the time now and I fly something else, but it is without a doubt a great standard class ship that in the right hands can compete Bob

Old April 5th 20, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hogue

Eric, this may also have something to do with that other feature Chip has that you don’t, which is that special “nut connected to the stick”. Haha, just sayin’....

Miss fly in’ with you all up there, cheers and best wishes from Alabama.

Jim J6