An odd thing about CAD...

Old November 26th 05, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default An odd thing about CAD...

"Ernest Christley" wrote

In the same DA$$ truck. Some engineer at Dodge aught be shot...with
both a metric and standard size bullet!!

They all seem to do it, at least on some models.

My full sized Chevy van is somewhat consistent. If it is a hole in the
engine block, it is SAE. If it is something not screwed into the engine, it
is metric.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
"W P Dixon" wrote:

What are you building Smitty Two? If your close by I'll help you with some
rivets.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Thanks, Patrick. I sent you an email; let me know if it gets lost in the
ether.
Old November 26th 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Eh? No Mac version? What is:
http://www.turbocad.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcid=321

Well, it isn't DeltaCAD, which I thought was our topic. And I'm not
sure
that it qualifies as easy to use, but I'd welcome feedback on that
score.

It is harder to use than DeltaCad, but not by much, and it has more
options. Rather than the 10 minutes it takes to figure out DeltaCad
plan on taking an hour or 2 with TurboCad. I have AutoCad, Solid
Works, BobCad, and a few others but I use the TurboCad for 90% of my
drawings. I find it quicker than most to use. The only prolem I've
come up with is that I can't find any drivers that will print correctly
to my old HP plotter using WinXP. Win98 works just fine!?. Encad
drivers also work OK for that plotter with either OS.
================
Leon McAtee

Old November 26th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote

The only prolem I've
come up with is that I can't find any drivers that will print correctly
to my old HP plotter using WinXP. Win98 works just fine!?.

XP can run a 98 emulator, I believe.
--
Jim in NC
Old November 27th 05, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

For 2-D CAD on a MAC, I use CADINSTOSH.

lemkesoft.com/en/cadintosh.htm

I actually like DeltaCAD better, and have gone so far as run it on my
MAC using Virtual PC, but I don't recommend anyone else do that -
getting Virtual PC to reliably print is something I haven't been able
to master, and the documentation is no help.

DeltaCAD will run on the cheapest, oldest, stupidest PC, and for less
than 200 bucks you can get a used system to devote to just CAD if you
really feel the need.

As for Linux devotees, here's a list of Linux resources for y'all to
explore (I've investigated/used none of these):

http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CAD.html and
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

Old November 28th 05, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Stealth Pilot wrote:

hey bob. do you realise that america has been a metric country for
over 103 years now. are you going to get the message soon?
:-)

What, you don't like binary fractions?

Alexander Hamilton convinced the US to adopt metric currency.
Shortly after, he was taken out and shot.

--

FF

Old December 9th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Coming to R.S.'s defense. I've used AutoCad in various versions for
years and have had projects from RC aircraft, home construction, parts
design, and full size aircraft components.
After already investing a lot of learning time into AutoCad, I bought a
copy of DeltaCad 3.0 at a discount store for $10 years ago. I was amazed at
how simple it was to learn and how powerful it was for such a small program.
I've kept that program through three computers and dozens of projects. For
all projects I now use DeltaCad to work up my drawings. I no longer have
AutoCad installed on my computer.
The only drawback I've seen with DeltaCad is my old version doesn't
properly save multi-point spline curves in .dxf files. I know this was
corrected in later versions.
Currently, I use DeltaCad to create templates for aluminum cutting for
aircraft components, and reproduction of gauge faces and decals of cockpit
labels and such. All of this is in conjunction with the restoration work we
are doing on a WWII vintage North American Aviation P-51H Mustang at the
Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum in Rantoul, Illinois.
In my experience, there is not a better entry-level Cad program to be
found. If you don't believe me, try the demo. http://www.dcad.com/demo.html
I'm certainly not a salesman for DeltaCad, but I don't mind spreading
the word when something works this well for so little cash.

Norm Meyers
Project Director
Mustang Restoration Project
http://home.insightbb.com/~p51h/index.htm
Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum
www.aeromuseum.org

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Owning 0 November 22nd 05 02:13 PM
A Sure Thing [email protected] Soaring 5 January 8th 05 12:16 AM
The Most Beautiful Thing Ever Grantland Military Aviation 37 October 28th 03 05:10 AM
Is a static port a precision thing? Larry Smith Home Built 8 August 12th 03 10:26 PM
SUV thing Fastglasair Home Built 4 July 12th 03 05:32 AM