An odd thing about CAD...

Old December 9th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default An odd thing about CAD...

mustanger wrote:
Coming to R.S.'s defense. I've used AutoCad in various versions for
years and have had projects from RC aircraft, home construction, parts
design, and full size aircraft components.
After already investing a lot of learning time into AutoCad, I bought a
copy of DeltaCad 3.0 at a discount store for $10 years ago. I was amazed at
how simple it was to learn and how powerful it was for such a small program.
I've kept that program through three computers and dozens of projects. For
all projects I now use DeltaCad to work up my drawings. I no longer have
AutoCad installed on my computer.
The only drawback I've seen with DeltaCad is my old version doesn't
properly save multi-point spline curves in .dxf files. I know this was
corrected in later versions.
Currently, I use DeltaCad to create templates for aluminum cutting for
aircraft components, and reproduction of gauge faces and decals of cockpit
labels and such. All of this is in conjunction with the restoration work we
are doing on a WWII vintage North American Aviation P-51H Mustang at the
Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum in Rantoul, Illinois.
In my experience, there is not a better entry-level Cad program to be
found. If you don't believe me, try the demo. http://www.dcad.com/demo.html
I'm certainly not a salesman for DeltaCad, but I don't mind spreading
the word when something works this well for so little cash.

Norm,

This is a timely post! I'm looking for a low-cost program to draw
simple dimensioned objects for a structural engineering course that I am
taking. I want to use MathCAD for my homework assignments, but it has
no drawing capability and most of the problems I need to solve need
text, equations AND drawings/diagrams.

All I have to do now is confirm that MathCAD is able to import the files
that DeltaCAD creates. If it does, I'll be a happy camper and the $40
seems very reasonable.

Matt
Old December 10th 05, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Matt Whiting wrote:
mustanger wrote:

[...]

Before you do that check with your school bookstore. As s student you
can buy AutoCad or MicroStation for a fraction of the usual price. My
MicroStation cost me about $200 when the commercial version's price was
a few kilobucks. The academic versions are full function. The only
difference is you get a nag screen reminding you it's the academic
version every time you log on. The books alone are worth the price in my
opinion. I do feel I have gotten my money's worth.

I prefer MicroStation for a number of reasons. Based on my
unscientific observations I have seen a lot more A-Cad users than
Microstation which might be a consideration.

As for the A-Cad users reading this, I forgive you

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 10th 05, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'm an AutuCad guy and I'm sorry...

Old December 20th 05, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Like you, I had used AutoCad for years but when I retired from that job,
I still needed a good CAD program but couldn't justify Acad anymore.
So while I don't want to come across as a champion of the product, I
would suggest that former Acad users take a look at CMS Intellicad. The full
3D version in less than a couple hundred dollars, but the most significant
feature about it is that it feels almost exactly like AutoCad in most
respects. Additionally, you can customize it to work virtually exactly like
AutoCad.
It can open and save ALL of the AutoCad versions which is one of the
things that really ticked me off about Acad 2002 that IT couldn't. Having
used Intellicad exclusively for a couple of years now, I can honestly say
that I don't miss using AutoCad at all.
Check it out.
http://www.intellicadms.com/products...al-pricing.asp

MJC

"mustanger" wrote in message
[...]

Norm Meyers
Project Director
Mustang Restoration Project
http://home.insightbb.com/~p51h/index.htm
Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum
www.aeromuseum.org

Old December 20th 05, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I prefer MicroStation for a number of reasons. Based on my unscientific
observations I have seen a lot more A-Cad users than Microstation which
might be a consideration.

As for the A-Cad users reading this, I forgive you

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Sorry I'm so late jumping in on this thread.

Autocad USED to be the system that EVERBODY used.

They fell way behind the curve when Solidworks was introduced. If you can
afford it, look into 3d modeling packages like solidworks. You should be
able to get it with your school discount too.

Old December 21st 05, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

LCT Paintball wrote:
I prefer MicroStation for a number of reasons. Based on my unscientific
observations I have seen a lot more A-Cad users than Microstation which
might be a consideration.

As for the A-Cad users reading this, I forgive you

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Sorry I'm so late jumping in on this thread.

Autocad USED to be the system that EVERBODY used.

They fell way behind the curve when Solidworks was introduced. If you can
afford it, look into 3d modeling packages like solidworks. You should be
able to get it with your school discount too.

I am not a student anymore and am quite happy with my MicroStation
running on my old 486 computer.

I gave up on A-Cad 10 years ago. One of the things I didn't like was
file size. The local printer only accepted A-Cad drawings for their big
plotters. When I went to get something printed it had to be in that
format. A MicroStation file on the order of 1meg would be 1.6meg or so
when converted. I also found I used about 2/3 as many operations in
MicroStation to accomplish the same thing in A-Cad. The list goes on,
but you get the idea.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 21st 05, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Apropos of almost nothing, I just rediscovered my favorite article on
the tenuous relationship between CAD and design:

http://www.seqair.com/CADArticles/CADMalarky.html

Gotta get over to the lathe now and make some parts for my canopy
latches and my aunt's espresso machine...

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old December 21st 05, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Apropos of almost nothing, I just rediscovered my favorite article on
the tenuous relationship between CAD and design:

http://www.seqair.com/CADArticles/CADMalarky.html

I like the article The main reasons I use CAD is I am a klutz with a
pencil and I prefer storing the drawings on CD-ROM. One of my pet peeves
with a lot of CAD users is they have no idea how to sensibly dimension a
drawing.

Gotta get over to the lathe now and make some parts for my canopy
latches and my aunt's espresso machine...

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

There's always my preferred method: visualize, make a part, make one
that w**ks,
if needed make a pretty one THEN make the drawing. This way you can be
assured the
drawing will make a w**king part. The question could arise whether the
part serves
a practical purpose, but I think we can forgo that discussion for now.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 21st 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote

Gotta get over to the lathe now and make some parts for my canopy
latches and my aunt's espresso machine...

Give latchless Larry a call. I think he might have some latches you could
use! (ducking and running) g
--
Jim in NC

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Owning 0 November 22nd 05 02:13 PM
A Sure Thing [email protected] Soaring 5 January 8th 05 12:16 AM
The Most Beautiful Thing Ever Grantland Military Aviation 37 October 28th 03 05:10 AM
Is a static port a precision thing? Larry Smith Home Built 8 August 12th 03 10:26 PM
SUV thing Fastglasair Home Built 4 July 12th 03 05:32 AM