Bought my first plane:-D

Old May 15th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bought my first plane:-D

So I put a deposit down on N4261J, a Piper Cherokee 140 (that I
mentioned in an earlier post).

The previous owner had nicknamed her 'Julie' (for obvious reasons)...
My fiancee fell in love with the name so I think it's stuck

I don't think I have ever been quite so excited, I feel like a kid
before christmas

She's in getting her out-of-hibernation annual done. The previous
owner (A former United A&P) didn't tell me (why I can't imagine), but
during her prepurchase inspection, the mechanic noted that the engine
was flawless because the owner had properly prepared it for indefinite
storage.
An oil change and some new hoses and she fired right up and purred like
a kitten. She's also going to need the fuel tanks resealed and the fuel
and brake lines redone, all and all around 7k worth of work...
(Purchase Price + Annual = 21K)

Now... I have (a long list) of questions as a new aircraft owner

1- Refinishing. Julie's paint is faded, but otherwise in good shape.
Are there any combinations of refinishers/waxers that could get her
reliably back to a shine? A quick search online suggested Meguiars
products- would a simple wax do the trick? or are there any other
refinishing products I should use first?

2- Interior Trim,
The Rubber doorseal is shot, is that an easy replacement? Also, the
pilot's seat and armrest are both cracked and leaking foam, and quick
suggestions to fix them?

Upgrades - There are a few upgrade luxuries I'm looking in too, I'd
love some feedback-

1- Autotrim... Ok, Pure luxury, I know... but the plane I rent has it,
and I'm absolutely spoiled (and hell, its my plane right?) The S-tec
manual trim system is STC's for the Cherokee 140, and it seems to
retail for around ~2k online... Any thoughts?

2- Aspen Avionics AT-300... I don't consider this so much a luxury as a
safety issue. Julie is west-coast based... and unfortunately we do
have big rocks here that can happen to get in the way of little planes
(even more so because I plan on taking her across the rockies at least
a few times to go visit my family back east). Now- do I need an STC to
install the AT-300? (it is a Certified replacement for the VSI) I've
noticed that there are a couple instrumentation STC's for the Piper in
the FAA database, but none for the AT-300 on any aircraft - is there a
special rule for primary instruments? (Also, The current 'shotgun'
layout of the panel isn't quite what I'd like, is there anything
special I'd have to deal with just moving a few of the guages around to
a layout that suits me better?)

3- King KL135 A - She has a single KL170 currently... I'm used to
dealing with aircraft with dual Comms, so that will take some getting
use to. But the AT-300 requires and external GPS, so I tempted to just
trade in the existing KL170 + CDI for a King KL135 A GPS/Comm unit.
I've heard that when it comes to modern Comms, GPS based are the only
way to go (because of the ability to select from a list of local
frequencies, based on the internal Jeppeson Database). The local
avionics shop suggested that if I do get a GPS/Comm, I go ahead and get
one with future IFR capability (something I plan on doing down the
road). They also mentioned that the KL135 can interface directly with
an intercomm without an audio panel for the time being, which helps to
save some expense (Julie's previous owner didn't have an audio panel or
intercom, she just used a handheld mic and the aircraft speaker). My
eventual goal would probably be to drop in King KX125 + Audio Panel
when I went to make her a full IFR aircraft, but that's a future
project.

4- Power
Going along with the whole Ability-to-cross-the-rockies thing, I am
seriously considering going ahead and-
A- 160hp stc
B- Powerflow Exhaust
C- AM&R tip mod + 62" prop repitch
There's absolutely no reason why I need it now, but I know i'll need it
eventually, so part of me thinks I should build it into the purchase
price.

5- Aerodynamics
Do any piper owners here have experience with the AM&R wingtips and
VG's? They seem to have a decent reputation online and they're very
inexpensive (1000 total).

Note - none of this is for 'investment' purpose (I don't care if I
wouldn't make it back when I sell her, because I don't plan on doing
that for quite a while) This is about making my plane what I want
her to be

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys may have

-Scott

Old May 15th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ahh yes, the first of the two happiest days of his life - the first is
the day he buys the plane - and the next one is the day he sells the
plane...

Scott, on the paint... Buy a slow speed paint buffer at the auto store
and use the Meguirs 1-2-3 system... A couple of Saturdays at the
airport, buffing, hangar flying, buffing, hangar flying, etc., will
tell you whether the paint can be saved or has to go, and you will get
to know your fellow airplane owners that way - and get to know your
airplane...

On the electronics, other than adding a GPS moving map strapped to the
yoke and an intercom box, fly the airplane AS IS for 6 months (to the
day, by the calendar) before putting any major money into the panel...

First, the yoke mounted GPS map will continue to be your back up no
matter what you put in the panel later.. I have a pair and so far
haven't found a reason to pull my KX-170 B out of the panel (actually I
slid in the TKM MX-170 and I'm quite happy)
Second, six months from now the burst of new ownership will be over and
you can clearly see how you have done with the limited panel and
exactly what you need to do... RIght now your thinking is formed by
what you have been flying at the FBO and the desire to spiff up your
plane...
The other thing to do is to add a vox intercom and a pair of noise
canceling headsets... Go to the Eastern Avionics web site and listen
the audio playbacks on the various intercom units... I know which one
I would pick...

On the after market engine and airframe mods... Wait - Wait - Wait...
These are lots of dollars for limited payback... First of all, A
Cherokee 140 is not the machine to tackle Cumulo Granitus with, and
10HP (if that) and some vortex generators are not going to make it a
mountain machine...... Fly North or South to the low passes for going
East until you have a few hundred hours in the plane before playing
test pilot...

Finally, put a quick hundred hours on the airplane to root out the
mechanical and electrical issues you don't see at this moment... Money
spent now on avgas will save you money down the road by proving or
disproving how sound this airplane is...

Cheers ... denny

Old May 15th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

EridanMan wrote:

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys may have

This is the same advice I give every first time owner. So far
they have all ignored it, but everyone of them have come back
in a couple of years and heard me say "I told you so..."

Afer buying the plane, take your wallet and lock it up somewhere
safe for at least 1 full year and at least one annual inspection.

The hard reality is that dispite how wonderful the plane seems now,
you will find something that MUST be fixed. When you find a cracking
bulkhead or a weak cylindar, its tough to fix it when you've already
emptied the coffers on avionics upgrades or new paint.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 15th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Denny,

Thanks, I laughed reading your post, this is exactly what I needed to
hear

Its very easy to get caught up in the 'new-ship-itus' I guess.

What amazes me is that the aero modifications for the Piper 140's are
actually surprisingly cheap... But yeah- I'm not going to make the
plane into something it's not (any sort of speed demon)... I'm just
looking for a fun little 'get up there' ship at the moment.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Let's get a few owner-assisted annuals under my belt, figure out
exactly how much work everythign I want to do is, how much it is
needed, and go from there.

I _am_ still very interested in getting in there and doing the cosmetic
stuff (a good wash/wax and interior cleaning)... as far as I'm
concerned, that's part of the joy of ownership.

Old May 15th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If it's not broken, dont fix it. But of the mods you mentioned the
climb prop and the GPS make the most sense to me.

Old May 16th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I _am_ still very interested in getting in there and doing the cosmetic
stuff (a good wash/wax and interior cleaning)... as far as I'm
concerned, that's part of the joy of ownership.

You will find that spiffing up your new bird is a wonderful way to
fritter away an afternoon. You'll be surprised what elbow grease and
some good wax will do, along with lots of different cleansers and
degreasers. When it's all done, it'll look fabulous, and you'll feel
like you're going 30 knots faster, guaranteed.

Congrats on the new purchase, Scott. And welcome to the ranks of the
blissfully, willfully destitute... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

There was a good thread, about a month or so ago, on things you can
make yourself, for your bird. I've saved it in my favorites...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...886a61818bfa91

I'd like to see another list, or see that list grow, as it is a lot of
fun giving the bird a little love, without going broke!

I'd also suggest getting one of those auto mechanic "creepers", or
making one yourself... Sliding around on your back, on the concrete,
degreasing the belly is not one of those "joys" Jay was referring to.
But, it sure is gratifying to have a clean, waxed plane with a shiny
belly!

Best Regards,
Todd

Old May 16th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 16 May 2006 06:28:15 -0700, "three-eight-hotel"
wrote:

There was a good thread, about a month or so ago, on things you can
make yourself, for your bird. I've saved it in my favorites...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...886a61818bfa91

I'd like to see another list, or see that list grow, as it is a lot of
fun giving the bird a little love, without going broke!

I'd also suggest getting one of those auto mechanic "creepers", or
making one yourself... Sliding around on your back, on the concrete,
degreasing the belly is not one of those "joys" Jay was referring to.
But, it sure is gratifying to have a clean, waxed plane with a shiny
belly!

Shhh.... Don't say that loud enough for the Deb to hear. It hasn't
had the underside washed in three years. My back just won't let me do
that kind of stuff any more.

However as to the creeper, I'd spend the extra money and get one of
the new ones that let you adjust the height and not just the head and
shoulders. It depends on the plane but a lot of them have spots that
are too low to kneel under and yet have spots just high enough you
can't reach them laying on the ground or a conventional creeper. There
you will find that adjustable height creeper worth its weight in gold.

Well, that and a good set of goggles to protect your eyes from the
cleaner...and rubber gloves...pair of coveralls...and the list goes on
Good luck and congratulations but wait awhile for your next sanity
check.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Best Regards,