RV6A down in Seattle area

Old February 21st 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

Default RV6A down in Seattle area

On Feb 21, 12:10*am, Charles Vincent wrote:
Peter Dohm wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message
"Peter Dohm" wrote

I think that you may mean heater cores, which would have a larger water
passage, but I am hoping for a look if I go to SnF this year.
No, I'm pretty sure they were AC condensors.

The layout that you mention is very similar to one that I have seen used
successfully on a Subaru conversion in a KR2--although I don't know who
may have done it first.
Tricky seems to be an understatement, especially when using airports that
demand an estended ground run!
I have never understood why a person would not include an electric fan to
pull air through the radiator, when necessary ground runs do not provide
enough air flow.

That would be 5 pounds well spent, I would think. *I will include one if
my installation ever takes place, unless someone could come up with a
reason not to include it.
--
Jim in NC

I have wondered about the exact same thing, and am leaning toward the same
solution.

Peter

I would guess because the fan is a liability to flow at speeds over
thirty or forty mph and because a twelve inch 1/8 hp fan has little to
offer over a 54 inch 40hp fan.

Charles- Hide quoted text -

That would be my guess, and next I would wonder why people don't
install louvers controlled from inside the cabin to let the heat just
rise out of the engine compartment. I think some military planes of
WWII era had them.

Wil
Old February 21st 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Charles Vincent" wrote I would guess because the fan
is a liability to flow at speeds over
thirty or forty mph and because a twelve inch 1/8 hp fan has little to
offer over a 54 inch 40hp fan.

But that big fan is trying to blow air into a couple 3 inch round holes, and
then diffuse that speed of airflow to many times the square inches of
radiator. What you end up with is no airflow past the radiator, and
overheating.

Instead, you put a fan right next to the radiator pulling air directly past
the radiator at a decent speed, with no diffusion losses.

It works. That's why cars have them. That's why water cooled airplanes
overheat if they tai for more than a few minutes.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 21st 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Feb 20, 5:10*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"stol" wrote

There is a reason we call these Experimental homebuilt planes...
According to the FAA we build them for the "educational and
recreational aspect. Hell, *a trained monkey can assemble *any one of
the new quick build kits on the market, all it has to do is cleco,
rivet and fly....

Jim: - - - Well, at least a dedicated trained monkey, anyway!

Ben ( an auto engine junkie) Haaswww.haaspowerair.com
N801BH,

PS, I just got a video camera and shot some footage this mornin of my
beast. If I can figure out how to load it to YouTube or something
similar you can view an auto engine powered homebuilt boring holes
through -6 f skies here in Jackson Hole....

Jim: - - - Right oN! !

Jim: - - - Do something else, for us auto engine junkie admirers. *Some time
when you have the cowl off, give a close up video tour of the installation,
and narrate about some of the pitfalls you have had to avoid, what has
worked out well, and what you want to improve on. *That kind of thing, you
know. *I'm sure you could get creative and make up your own program, but I
can never get enough of poking around a good fire wall forward auto engine
installation, up close and personal!
--
Jim in NC

I have a conditional inspection coming up next month so a video
walkaround and comments on do's and don't is a great idea. What we
learn will benefit the future auto engine powered experimentals and I
want to help out where I can. Now if I can get Steven. P McNicolls to
narrate it, Bertie to do the comedy act and barnyard BOb to direct it
it should get me an Oscar. !! { : - ))....

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
Lifetime EAA member.
Old February 21st 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Morgans" wrote in message

Out of all of the styles of PSRU's out there, I tend to like the design of
the toothed belt setups. It just looks right, I think, and seems to solve
a lot of tricky problems, (like harmonic and torsional vibration) in a
simple way.
--

How do "toothed belt setups" solve harmonic and torsional vibrations
problems in a simple way?

Old February 21st 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Charlie" wrote

Actually, they are GM *evaporator* cores, the heat exchanger that's
mounted in the dash to cool the air.

Yep, I knew that about 2 minutes after sending the post. Condensor would
be the little radiator out next to the car radiator. Oh well, at least
someone knew what I meant! g

I've seen his installation on average about once a year for the last 10
years, & watched it evolve over the years from carbs to injection & from
the original 13B to the Renesis engine core. I think that if you ask him,
he'd tell you that they were 1. available, 2. affordable, 3. fit in the
stock cowl, 4. actually turn out to be fairly close to the right thickness
for a relatively high speed homebuilt like an RV-x.

All true, but he plain likes rotary engines, too. Maybe goes past like a
littke bit, even!

His work is sublime pragmatism. A marketing exec would go into cardiac
arrest just looking at it, but everything is carefully engineered to be
good enough with nothing extra.

Yep. Kinda' like the JB Weld around the fitting for the cooling fluid into
the _evaporator_ cores.
I definitely has a sound to it, screaming by on a low pass, though!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 21st 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"stol" wrote

I have a conditional inspection coming up next month so a video
walkaround and comments on do's and don't is a great idea. What we
learn will benefit the future auto engine powered experimentals and I
want to help out where I can. Now if I can get Steven. P McNicolls to
narrate it, Bertie to do the comedy act and barnyard BOb to direct it
it should get me an Oscar. !! { : - ))....

Throw in Ken Tucker to tell you how to fly it, and if you can get all of
that in one place and on film, you should go broker a peace deal in the
Middle East.
essaesseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeff

Old February 22nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote

essaesseeeeee (big snip) eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeff

What the hell was that?????????????

Sorrry gang. I have no idea why that happened.
--
Jim in NC

Seattle to So Cal Area 81mm General Aviation 2 April 14th 06 04:45 AM
Seattle to So Cal Area Montblack Piloting 0 April 12th 06 04:45 PM
Seattle to So Cal Area 81mm Owning 1 April 12th 06 04:45 PM
Seattle to So Cal Area 81mm Aviation Marketplace 0 April 12th 06 02:41 PM
Seattle to So Cal Area 81mm Restoration 0 April 12th 06 02:40 PM