A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2 gear up switches?

Old June 5th 16, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default 2 gear up switches?

I have owned my glider for nearly 4 years and it seems that I still find new things out about it. Its a Ventus B and has a L-Nav flight computer that I use as a backup to my Oudie.

I went to test my gear up switch the other day and it didn't make any sound.. Now I always thought the gear up switch is part of my L-nav and recently I have been having some intermittent issues with my speed command graph and glide slope indicator not functioning properly.

So I start looking for broken wires and I look behind the seat and see that there are two wires that are taped to a support and i see a switch with a thin wire that has two posts not connected to anything.

Well I take the wires and attach then and voila the sound of a French police car is made when I actuate the airbrake with the gear up.

Then I read my L-NAV manual again and it never refers to any switch with a tickle wire. it takes about sensing the speed for it to actuate and the last time I flew I put the air brakes on with the gear up to test and didn't hear anything.

Could I have two alarms?

Dennis
Old June 5th 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 6:28:25 AM UTC-7, HGXC wrote:
I have owned my glider for nearly 4 years and it seems that I still find new things out about it. Its a Ventus B and has a L-Nav flight computer that I use as a backup to my Oudie.

I went to test my gear up switch the other day and it didn't make any sound. Now I always thought the gear up switch is part of my L-nav and recently I have been having some intermittent issues with my speed command graph and glide slope indicator not functioning properly.

So I start looking for broken wires and I look behind the seat and see that there are two wires that are taped to a support and i see a switch with a thin wire that has two posts not connected to anything.

Well I take the wires and attach then and voila the sound of a French police car is made when I actuate the airbrake with the gear up.

Then I read my L-NAV manual again and it never refers to any switch with a tickle wire. it takes about sensing the speed for it to actuate and the last time I flew I put the air brakes on with the gear up to test and didn't hear anything.

Could I have two alarms?

Dennis

Believe in later versions there is a stall alarm which is speed dependent.
Jim
Old June 5th 16, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
okko kloosterman
external usenet poster

What you describe sounds like a simple old-fashioned 2-switch system
(one at the gear lever in series with one at the airbrake lever and a
buzzer) that warns you when you actuate the airbrakes on final with the
gear up. Seems to me that it has nothing to do with your L-Nav...

Okko
Netherlands

Op 5-6-2016 om 15:28 schreef HGXC:

I went to test my gear up switch the other day and it didn't make any sound. Now I always thought the gear up switch is part of my L-nav and recently I have been having some intermittent issues with my speed command graph and glide slope indicator not functioning properly.

Could I have two alarms?

Dennis