Flarm Download Question

Old June 5th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Bourgeois[_4_]

Default Flarm Download Question

Friends:
I am using the Flarm Core unit with output to an LX Flarmview. All functions work properly except that at some indeterminate point in time the unit lost capability to download a flight. I connect a USB drive, the Flarmview blinks at me as in a normal start up, but no last flight download on the USB. It's not critical (the glider has 2 other loggers) but I'd like to know what happened. Has anybody experienced this?
Thanks
Roy
Old June 5th 16, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 11:56:04 AM UTC-4, Roy Bourgeois wrote:
Friends:
I am using the Flarm Core unit with output to an LX Flarmview. All functions work properly except that at some indeterminate point in time the unit lost capability to download a flight. I connect a USB drive, the Flarmview blinks at me as in a normal start up, but no last flight download on the USB. It's not critical (the glider has 2 other loggers) but I'd like to know what happened. Has anybody experienced this?
Thanks
Roy

Roy,

I have the butterfly display which allows you to upload the logs via a menu selection to a USB stick without shutting down the Flarm Core. I'm not sure if the Flarmview allows you to do the same. If I don't use the Butterfly then I have to turn off the Core and turn it back on and it will then download all logs that aren't already on the USB. I had forgotten that you must turn the Core off and back on so couldn't figure out why the logs weren't uploading until I reread the manual. Help this helps.

Copied from the manual.

To read out the flights to the USB stick:
PowerFLARM CORE Manual 3.40 International 21
ï‚· Switch CORE OFF after flight (allow at least 2 minutes after landing to avoid losing data).
ï‚· Connect USB stick to CORE.
ï‚· Switch CORE ON.
ï‚· Observe Status LED (flashing RED/GREEN) or progress in-dication on display to verify flights are being copied.
ï‚· Wait until system has started up normally after copying flights.
ï‚· Disconnect USB stick.

Some displays or flight computers allow reading out flights without switching the CORE OFF after the flight. Please refer to your sys-tem’s documentation for details.
Please use FAT formatted USB 2.0 sticks. See the USB section for details and recommendations about USB stick usage.
Old June 5th 16, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 11:34:48 AM UTC-5, Greg Delp wrote:
[...]

Greg - which Butterfly display gives the option to download flight via menu selection? Just curious as I also use a Butterfly display but have never seen this option before. Thanks.

RS
Old June 6th 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 5:42:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have the rectangle display. It didn't offer this originally if I remember correctly but did after a firmware update. I'm not sure what version. Hold the button down to open the menu and find IGC download or something similar in the menu. Select and it will download any files not already on the USB inserted in the core.
Old June 6th 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 11:56:04 AM UTC-4, Roy Bourgeois wrote:
Friends:
I am using the Flarm Core unit with output to an LX Flarmview.
All functions work properly except that at some indeterminate point in time
the unit lost capability to download a flight. I connect a USB drive, the
Flarmview blinks at me as in a normal start up, but no last flight download
on the USB. It's not critical (the glider has 2 other loggers)
but I'd like to know what happened.
Has anybody experienced this?
Thanks
Roy

Hi Roy - A few things...

1) The most common reason for problems with USB memory sticks is
the stick becomes partially corrupted, normally because the
stick was removed from some device prior everything was written.
In Winbloze, to avoid corruption, its necessary to use the Windows
"eject" feature prior physically removing the stick.
When a stick becomes corrupted, the stick looks OK in Winbloze,
but may not function correctly with many gizmos.

2) Check the drive using Winbloze "Properties, Tools, Check Drive"
Let Winbloze correct any errors. Don't scan for low-level sector errors.

2b) If this is too mysterious, get a new USB 2.0 memory stick!
Or re-format an old one.

3) Don't use a USB 3.0 thumb drive!

4) PowerFLARM (with IGC option) will save all stored log files onto
a USB memory stick that is plugged in when the PowerFLARM is powered on.
So if FLARMview isn't doing its thing, try this.

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Nice flight to Sugarbush Saturday!
PPS: But I beat you by 2 points on IGC ;-)
Old June 6th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

...which Butterfly display gives the option to download flight via menu
selection?

1) Hold down the button for a couple seconds
2) Select "FLARM" option and press the button
3) Select "Download IGC Files" and press the button

Enjoy,
Best Regards, Dave
Old June 7th 16, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Are you using the same thumb drive, or a different one?

Just went through this with a friend and his new thumb drive was not formatted correctly.

It must be formatted with FAT (FAT16 or FAT32) file system (NTFS or exFAT will not work)