FAA Eases ADS-B STC Requirement

Old May 25th 16, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default FAA Eases ADS-B STC Requirement

Anyone know the score of the Pittsburgh Penguins versus Wolverhapton Wanderers game?
Jim
Old May 25th 16, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 9:18:14 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Anyone know the score of the Pittsburgh Penguins versus Wolverhapton Wanderers game?
Jim

Thank you Jim :-)
Old May 25th 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ditto Jim, I appreciate the change of tone. Blackhawk fan myself lol
Old May 25th 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As for Km, I apologise if my posts broaden the topic of this thread beyond tecno-babble. The vast majority of folks who regularly contribute to RAS are interested and able to think abstractly about general topics, this one included. As for EAA, you need to do your homework there. They obviously recognise the benefits of these anti collision systems as do I, but they are also highly aware and intimately involved in the very matters I have been posting about, namely FAA over reach and fed mandates. As to EAA and soaring, once again you are out of date as the SSA and EAA are working together over this very tooic as well as others involving the FAA.

Once again I am sorry if you think I am hijacking the thread, that is not my intention, I'm just broadening its scope. As to your lack of understanding or concern over the FAA and its way of operating, I am sorry. I hope you can take a step back from the retoric of this thread and just contemplate if you would enjoy an airspace system as exists in europe or if you would like to maintain and protect the relatively free system we have here in the US. If Adsb and other systems help to guarentee our flying freedoms, I am all for it, however if it is ultimately a tool FAA can use under the appearance of "safety" to restrict my flight freedoms, I will fight against it.
Old May 25th 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 1:41:42 PM UTC-6, wrote:
As for Km,

Ag,
I didn't realize there are so many Minor League Hockey fans on RAS but, Isn't the season over? We are on the same page but I just didn't like the "Chicken Little" examples you use. Granted, We all know pilots with the latest factory examples who never venture far from home. In my area one of these doesn't even know how to use the computer but this person is an excellent pilot and wouldn't use the info anyways. I also know pilots who boat around the valley in minimally equipped vintage ships. The great thing about soaring is that there is something for everyone.
I have a logbook full of 1-26 time but I reached a point where I wanted to take the sport to the next level. Where I once boated around the Coastal Mountains never getting above 8-9K, I now fly strong desert conditions up to 17.5K. It is a sad fact that with urban sprawl many of the places we fly are getting busier with airline traffic. My local international has added about 150 flights a day since I moved here so yes, The sky is in fact shrinking! After a couple of exhilarating close calls I decided to install first a PF and then a Mode S TX, Both without the benefit of government intervention. Granted, Installing a TX in the 1-26 I was flying would have been superfluous but for the type of flying I do now the Transponder (Along with the PF) is an absolute necessity.
Most everything I have read from EAA concerns their work WITH the FAA to find affordable ADS-B compliance options. The benefits of airspace modernization are substantial and not just "Appearance of safety" (Ask your boy about this if you don't believe me). The "Scope" you are "Broadening" is mostly un based hyperbole.
Thanks for pointing out your $400,000 qualifications. I am a CFIG as well and fly a 125 Million dollar jet (But yea, I always wanted to dust crops and fly a foot off the ground at full power and under the power lines and stuff).
Old May 26th 16, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Km thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear you are working within the industry. So many folks have opinions but are not exposed to these issues on a daily basis as you and I are.
I hope you realize my comments regarding the 'weekend warrior' not doing much type flyer are slightly tongue in cheek to exemplify a point. As for the 'smalll sky vs big sky" argument, I have seen some validity to some areas becoming more congested as it relates to soaring, example the minden reno area. When I started flying there in the mid to late 70's, we didnt worry that much regarding traffic. We were more concerned with finding someone to tow. This was before Soar Minden and High Country Soaring. Now its a different picture. But for a whole lot of the country, things have not changed much. traffic wise.
Working within your branch of the industry (commercial flying) has influenced and shaped your views on this topic, as I working within mostly rural but also adjacent to airforce traffic has shaped mine. We must both acknowledge this. As to the EAA, they do see what is coming down the pike from the FAA and are accepting the feds desire while still fighting for the recreational flyer.

I am a 1-26 driver so I do take exception to your belief that flying higher performance ships is a "progression" to bigger and better soaring. As you say, there is room in the sport for all kind of facets. For me, after having flown 40/1 stuff I feel it is more of a challenge and sign of exceptional airmanship to sucessfully complete a 300k flight in a 1-26 or other low performance bird than it is to cruise around that same course in a modern ship. As to equipment, if you saw the panel in my little bird you would see everything as modern as is available including flight computer, two flight recorders (redundancy for record attempts) etc. a mode C is going in next, so I am surely not anti-tech. I just dont want to see us continually squeezed into requirments that may or may not be necessary.

Old May 26th 16, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As to agricultural aviation, it is not the barbstormer type flying folks generally think it to be. The modern duster is a pretty complex piece of 850hp or greater turbine powered machinery and flying it effeciently requires a bunch more than bravado and stick n rudder skills. We rarely work under wires anymore but are more concerned with accurate application rates, monitoring flow controllers, and flying a gps controlled light bar within 2ft accuracy. After a season or two of modern spraying, making a below mins ILS aproach is childs play. While it has become highly tecnical, the flying is still pretty fun, and keeps one sharp at making the correct decision fast.
Old May 26th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Correction fat fingers Mode S
Old May 26th 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And as to your flying the 100 million dollar jet , I won't hold that against you LOL, I will just ask you how many hours have you actually "flown" the bird with your hands on the controls as oppossed to letting the magic boxes do the work, and how many T/O and landings you have made in your career? I stopped counting myself at 15,000 landings and that was two years ago LOL