Experimental question

Old May 30th 16, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Experimental question

When I bought my used experimental glider from Texas and brought it to
New Mexico, there were no requirements other than I send a Program
Letter to my local FSDO.

I have a friend at the local FSDO (acquired years after registering my
ship here) and he told me that, when he attended FAA training in OKC, he
was told: "Welcome to Flight Standards, home of 87 independently owned
and operated offices". I have found that to be true, getting different
interpretations of the regulations from different offices.

Your results may vary.

On 5/30/2016 7:52 AM, MNLou wrote:
For what it is worth -

I purchased an used experimental glider in November 2014. I dutifully sent in my program letter to my local FSDO in January 2015. Later that month, I received a phone call informing me that because the glider was changing "home FSDOs", I needed a new Special Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations issued by my local FSDO.

The FSDO was great to work with and the process went very smoothly but, it was required before I flew the aircraft.

Lou

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 30th 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Ops Limits are essentially a part of the Special Airworthiness Certificate and stay with the airplane through ownership and location changes, except where specifically noted in the Ops Limits or SAC. Your FSDO can *request* to issue you new Ops Limits or SAC, but there's no rule that you have to say yes!. New ones will surely be longer, more complex, and more restrictive. What's in it for you? Nothing!

If they press you to change it, refer to Order 8130.2H, Section 10 Paragraph 464.c(2):

"The gaining FSDO will not require the aircraft’s special airworthiness certificate and operating limitations to be reissued, unless the aircraft is in Phase I test flight operations, FAA Headquarters determines that the current limitations require reissuance, or the owner requests reissuance or amendment."

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 9:52:05 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I bought my used experimental glider from Texas and brought
it to New Mexico, there were no requirements other than I send a
Program Letter to my local FSDO.

I have a friend at the local FSDO (acquired years after
registering my ship here) and he told me that, when he attended
FAA training in OKC, he was told:Â* "Welcome to Flight Standards,
home of 87 independently owned and operated offices".Â* I have

Old May 30th 16, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I believe the FAA has streamlined the limitations. That's what I was told when I got the new SAC.

The limitations I have now are less restrictive than those of the previous owner.

Also, any changes to the program letter can be made with an e-mail to the FSDO and a printed copy of the e-mail in the cockpit.

YMMV -

Lou
Old May 31st 16, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

The way my previous Ops Limits were written made it sound like the glider had to be operated in a certain local even after phase 1 was completed. Anyway I thought it was cleaner not to have a certain local listed on the limitations so I wanted it change. I don't think I realized it did not have to be changed.

Anyway, everyone I've talked to have gotten more restrictions if they have gotten new limitations. My local FSDO added speeds and CG limits and got them wrong as well. FSDO put on my limitations: CG Limits 9.84 to 10.73. The manual says 9.84 to 16.73. I contacted the FSDO about this and he said it may cause more problems to correct the typo for a new airworthiness cert would have to be issued as well.

Personally, I've never thought it was good practice to restate something that is covered somewhere else. For this very reason and also if the FAA changes a reg that is listed on the limitations then those limitation should be changed.

Old May 31st 16, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

The order is 8130.2 G There are some big changes between the two documents. I posted a link in the thread earlier. One of the changes is for a placard to be visible to the pilot with certain limitations.

If the former owner or home airport is not specifically mentioned in the operation limitations (I have seen a lot of poorly written ops limitations from FAA inspectors that don't follow the guidance) AND you are satisfied with the old limits all you are required to submit is a new program letter. The FSDO "should" upon receipt of your program letter ask you for a copy of the airworthiness certificate and maybe a copy of your latest condition check to start a file. Review the 8130.2G as the program letter requirements have also changed.

The 8130.2G limitations for gliders are a lot less restrictive over older operating limits (such as removing the 300 mile operating limit). You might consider asking for new operating limitations and they will also issue a new airworthiness certificate.

Example of required placard (Antares 20E):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k...ew?usp=sharing

Example of 8130.2G Operating limitations (Antares 20E)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k...ew?usp=sharing

8130.2G Program letter:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k...ew?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

Tom (TK)

Old May 31st 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 3:55:43 PM UTC-7, Wade G wrote:
I recently bought an experimental DG-303.
I am trying to get the new op limitations done ASAP while the season is ticking away. The FAA is not at the pace of my desire to get this thing up!
My question:
I've heard that a buyer might be able to fly using the previous limitations and a/w for 30 days while waiting to get the papers updated. Is this true?

The limitations are good for the life of the sailplane..sometimes the home base may be mentioned and the practice area in the limitations for the home field in which the sailplane was original certified. Some people like the old limitations because many times they have fewer limitations, now they write limitations from a format. It is true that if your sailplane is Experimental "air racing" you need to just notify the FAA that you just bought the sailplane and where the home base of that aircraft is, Fax in a letter saying where you intend to fly for the year, or if you are going some place that is not on your original letter just Fax in a new letter, no response is necessary from the FAA. Remember that the airworthiness is invalid if the operating limitation are not attached. You must notify the FAA in 30 days of the new location of the aircraft, no need for new limitations unless you want but remember the FAA likes to do as little as possible, you also may be able to find a DAR to help you out.