A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trig TX-Too much sun?

Old June 7th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m
external usenet poster

Default Trig TX-Too much sun?

On tow the this weekend I noticed my transponder display was blank. It was lit (Or Backlit) but no 1202. The display may have been in direct sunlight for a few moments (Just a few, I am very careful about this)before launch. After landing I cycled the TX a few times and got a blank backlit display with no start up screen or code. I towed the ship to the hangar and even with the silver canopy cap the cockpit was very hot. I pushed the ship into the hangar and after 30 minutes to cool down the Transponder display worked normal. I am assuming that the display did not like direct sunlight but my other instruments and comm radio were not affected.
Once, I had to replace the display screen on a Dittle radio that had been damaged by the sun. This was in the days before the silver covers and it looked like someone had taken a magnifying glass to the radio (Pretty obvious the sun hitting the canopy at the right angle did this). That one was obvious but my transponder seem to work normal now. Did I fry something? Any avionics guys out there?
Thanks

Old June 7th 16, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Trig TX-Too much sun?

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:00:08 PM UTC-7, K m wrote:
On tow the this weekend I noticed my transponder display was blank. It was lit (Or Backlit) but no 1202. The display may have been in direct sunlight for a few moments (Just a few, I am very careful about this)before launch.. After landing I cycled the TX a few times and got a blank backlit display with no start up screen or code. I towed the ship to the hangar and even with the silver canopy cap the cockpit was very hot. I pushed the ship into the hangar and after 30 minutes to cool down the Transponder display worked normal. I am assuming that the display did not like direct sunlight but my other instruments and comm radio were not affected.
Once, I had to replace the display screen on a Dittle radio that had been damaged by the sun. This was in the days before the silver covers and it looked like someone had taken a magnifying glass to the radio (Pretty obvious the sun hitting the canopy at the right angle did this). That one was obvious but my transponder seem to work normal now. Did I fry something? Any avionics guys out there?
Thanks

Liquid crystal displays are temperature sensitive; if they get to hot they will not work. Google "lcd temperature limits" and you will find the upper limit is 50C (122F). This is not hard to reach in direct sunlight.

Tom