Prelim NTSB report, Pilatus accident in PA

Old April 5th 05, 03:40 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Prelim NTSB report, Pilatus accident in PA

Fo those who inquired about this accident, here is the preliminary
NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X00387&key=1

vince norris
Old April 5th 05, 05:00 PM
Jay Honeck

vincent p. norris wrote:
Fo those who inquired about this accident, here is the preliminary
NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X00387&key=1

Boy, that's a strange one. It sure sounds like he just lost control,
and that ice wasn't a factor.

Heart attack? Stroke?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 5th 05, 05:15 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
vincent p. norris wrote:
Fo those who inquired about this accident, here is the preliminary
NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X00387&key=1

Boy, that's a strange one. It sure sounds like he just lost control,
and that ice wasn't a factor.

Heart attack? Stroke?

Why assume a medical problem? He may have just F'ed up, and got
disoriented beyond recovery prior to breaking out of the clouds. This
is why you and I don't fly our families IFR.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old April 5th 05, 05:33 PM
Jim Burns

If it wasn't for this line: Visual flap examination, and flap lever and worm
drive positions revealed that the flaps were up. I would speculate on
differential flap deployment.

Icing in the area, but not found on the plane make me think of tail plane
icing and a possible tail plane stall when slowing for the approach.

Truly a tragedy and a mystery.
Jim

Old April 5th 05, 05:49 PM
Gene Seibel

Visual meteorological conditions prevailed.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old April 5th 05, 06:41 PM
Jay Masino

Gene Seibel wrote:
Visual meteorological conditions prevailed.

The ceiling was still 1700 overcast, so he (atleast) started the approach
in the clouds.

--
__!__
Old April 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Blueskies

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message ...
Fo those who inquired about this accident, here is the preliminary
NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X00387&key=1

vince norris

It went in 4 days after he went through recurrent training. I wonder what the extent of the training was?

Old April 5th 05, 07:34 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
[...] This is why you and I don't fly our families IFR.

I thought Jay H.'s reason was that he didn't actually have an instrument
rating?

Old April 5th 05, 07:38 PM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Jay Masino" wrote in message

[...] This is why you and I don't fly our families IFR.

I thought Jay H.'s reason was that he didn't actually have an instrument
rating?

IIRC, one of the main reasons he doesn't have one is that he would never fly in
IMC with his family in the plane. Something about not trusting the vacuum system.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.