Prelim NTSB report, Pilatus accident in PA

Old April 6th 05, 03:20 AM
vincent p. norris

The ceiling was still 1700 overcast, so he (atleast) started the approach
in the clouds.

If he was on final approach, inside the marker, his heading should
have been 240; bu tone witness reported seeing him flying NE. He must
have been below the ceiling, in VMC, at that time.

Perhaps that report is wrong; they often are. If it is correct, it is
very puzzling since he was within sight of the airport.

Sorry, I won't be able to respond to any questions; I'm leaving the
country tomorow for six weeks.

vince norris
Old April 8th 05, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, not exactly. Although vacuum systems are ridiculously prone to
failure, my reasons for not finishing my instrument training a

1. Time. I was signed off to take the test back in '02 . Then we
bought the hotel, and my time ceased being my own.

2. Utility. I have carefully tracked the weather since '02, to see what
weather I would have flown in with an IR that I wouldn't have flown in
VFR. In those nearly three years, we have not scrubbed a single flight
that I would have flown in with my instrument ticket, simply because a
Piper Pathfinder doesn't have de-icing equipment, and I can't wrestle
with thunderstorms in a Cherokee.

Because instrument weather around here consists primarily of either
(a) icing

*or*

(b) thunderstorms (usually embedded), my instrument ticket would not
enhance my flying much.

3. Proficiency. Because of this very lack of utility, I fear that one
of two things would happen to me:

(a) I would feel compelled to practice instrument flight regularly, in
order to remain proficient. Instrument flying under the hood is not
something I enjoy, and -- given my extremely limited time -- would take
precious time away from the family flying that I currently am able to
do.

*or*

(b) I would simply not use it very often, and then -- when I really
needed it -- I would not be proficient at it. A non-proficient
instrument pilot in the clouds is a very scary thought.

So, some day, when my life slows down, I will finish up my instrument
training -- not because I believe it's essential, or even because I
think that it will enhance the utility of my airplane, because I know
both of these statements are untrue.

When I get the IR, it will be because I want to -- plain and simple --
or because I've purchased a Pilatus (or better) that can truly fly in
the clouds in the Midwest.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 05, 11:10 PM
jsmith

Oh come on now Jay! ;-)
I just flew 6.5 hours in beautiful VFR weather today on IFR flight
plans. There was the possibility of fog at my initial destination, but
it burned off before we arrived.
For this trip, it was more expeditious to file IFR due to transiting
Class B airspace enroute.
Takeoff, climb, cruise, set the autopilot, descend, land.
Two weeks ago, I took off in VFR conditions but had to air-file to
continue to my destination. I then shot an approach, breaking out 200
feet above the MDA. Had I not been instrument rated, I would have had to
turn back and return to my departure point.
With as many long cross-country trips that you make, you would have
greater flexibility in your travel plans.
You do not fly exclusively in Iowa, so to say that ice and thunderstorms
are the reasons you choose not to complete your instrument rating is
not as valid as you would like it to be.
A family trip to and from Florida promted me to get current four years
ago. We were in Savannah GA, got up at 7 am, the air was thick with
humidity and with no wind. By the time we ate, checked out and got to
the airport, the fog was thick on the ground. We waited four hours for
it to finally lift sufficiently and break up for a VFR departure. Had I
been current at that time, I would have waited only an hour for it to
lift above approach minimums (you always want to be able to get back in
if something should arise) and depart IFR.
JUST DO IT!

Old April 10th 05, 06:21 AM
Peter Duniho

"jsmith" wrote in message
[...]
A family trip to and from Florida promted me to get current four years
ago. We were in Savannah GA, got up at 7 am, the air was thick with
humidity and with no wind. By the time we ate, checked out and got to the
airport, the fog was thick on the ground. We waited four hours for it to
finally lift sufficiently and break up for a VFR departure. Had I been
current at that time, I would have waited only an hour for it to lift
above approach minimums (you always want to be able to get back in if
something should arise) and depart IFR.
JUST DO IT!

While I agree that Jay would likely get more utility from an instrument
rating than he suggests, I also think that for someone flying
recreationally, ratings should be obtained as they are desired. As he
currently has no desire to get the rating, it's probably best he not waste
time on it. And it certainly is a time-consuming rating. The instrument
rating is roughly the same amount of work as the initial rating, IMHO.

Pete

Old April 11th 05, 02:41 PM
Jay Honeck

JUST DO IT!

That's the worst possible reason to get a rating, AFAIK.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 05, 02:52 PM

Blueskies wrote:
Ice...

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message

Fo those who inquired about this accident, here is the preliminary
NTSB report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...31X00387&key=1

vince norris

No post crash fire. No fuel?