Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

Old October 12th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

City Dweller writes:

He busted Class B too.

The FAA can send a letter to his next of kin.

Old October 12th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Gardner writes:

The second guy raged on
about how the plane was over the river but he knew that this was just an
accident waiting to happen and that all GA airplanes should file flight
plans.

Filing a flight plan would not have prevented this accident. I doubt
that impact on a building would have been mentioned in the flight
plan.

Old October 12th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ed Warner

A. Sinan Unur wrote:

CNN is reporting that the pilot was a Yankee's pitcher: Lidle. He
apparently got his license only 7 months ago. Bragged about how safe his
plane was. I have a feeling this is similar to JFK junior's case of not
knowing one's limitations.

This 2005 article has some ominous comments about the plane:

From http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/cirrus-sr20

"The combination of novice pilots and a fast airplane has resulted in a
mournful accident record that is reflected in high insurance rates and
recurrent training requirements similar to what you'd find on a
twin-engine plane or pressurized single....If the engine were to quit
over water or the mountains at night, the parachute would be a nice
feature indeed. However, mechanical failures are not a very common
cause of small airplane crashes, and the Cirrus has some features, to
be discussed in this review, that make it more prone to pilot-induced
crashes than a Diamond or Cessna....Once in a spin the SR20 and SR22
are virtually impossible to recover, according to the test pilots..."

Ed

Old October 12th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Ed Warner" wrote in message
oups.com...

"....Once in a spin the SR20 and SR22 are virtually impossible
to recover, according to the test pilots..."

Is there a design benefit for an aircraft to not be spin recoverable?

Old October 12th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Tom,

"....Once in a spin the SR20 and SR22 are virtually impossible
to recover, according to the test pilots..."

Is there a design benefit for an aircraft to not be spin recoverable?

No. But the statement quoted is pure anecdotal evidence. Don't take it
too seriously.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 12th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
I was wondering when the flight-plan issue would come up... :-)

In case of emergency, you can wrap yourself in it and it'll act like a
giant airbag! G
Old October 12th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom[_1_]

NY Times had this inteactive graphic today.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/khtm...H_GRAPHIC.html

Tom

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
A. Sinan Unur wrote:
CNN is reporting that the pilot was a Yankee's pitcher: Lidle. He
apparently got his license only 7 months ago. Bragged about how safe his
plane was. I have a feeling this is similar to JFK junior's case of not
knowing one's limitations.

I talked with my aunt who also lives on the east side of Manhattan and she said
it's been a crappy day up there... in fact, while I was talking to her it
started raining.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Jon Kraus wrote:
I was wondering when the flight-plan issue would come up... :-)

In case of emergency, you can wrap yourself in it and it'll act like a
giant airbag! G

http://www.ainonline.com/Features/safety.pdf

Check the chart. Who does a more methodical job?

Old October 12th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Matt Barrow wrote:

http://www.ainonline.com/Features/safety.pdf

Check the chart. Who does a more methodical job?

None of the charts on that link mention flight plans.

I used Adobe's search feature for "flight plan" within the document, and
still don't see what you're pointing out.
Old October 12th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
om...
Matt Barrow wrote:

http://www.ainonline.com/Features/safety.pdf

Check the chart. Who does a more methodical job?

None of the charts on that link mention flight plans.

Which group, do you think, does a more methodical job?

I used Adobe's search feature for "flight plan" within the document, and
still don't see what you're pointing out.

Do you need to have someone hold your hand?

Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight Jose Piloting 13 September 22nd 06 11:08 PM
Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 06:26 AM
Parachute fails to save SR-22 Capt.Doug Piloting 72 February 10th 05 06:14 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM