Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

Old September 8th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggageforaircraft weight

Meghan Taylor wrote:
snip

So this is what it's come to. In middle school we smuggled our cigarettes
around in our bras to avoid nic fits before class, before exams, etc. Now we
need to smuggle our contact solution in our bra, just to avoid getting our
eyes irritated or infected on an airplane ride. Progress is great.

Not quite the same thing.
Old August 14th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

Emily wrote:
Has anyone considered this? A too-high estimate could affect flight
characteristics and might also waste fuel (since more would be loaded
than needed).

Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Weight and balance was not important to the commuter plane that
crashed in the southeast a few years ago either. Add the reported
control system problem and multiple people died.

Ron Lee
Old August 14th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Wear your glasses. You can carry papers.. don't check company proprietary
information.
BT

Old August 14th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

BTIZ wrote:
Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Wear your glasses. You can carry papers.. don't check company proprietary
information.
BT

Are you kidding? You think I'd check contact lenses? My eyes aren't
correctable to 20/20 with glasses and I can't risk getting to the other
end and not having contacts. Can't drive to the airport in glasses, either.

And if you think I'm paranoid, the airlines/TSA have a 100% lose/steal
rate with my checked luggage. I've learned.
Old August 14th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

don't check company proprietary
information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 14th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jose wrote:
don't check company proprietary information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose

I've been getting all sorts of answers like, "oh, just do this" since
this whole thing came up. Problem is, you can't "just do that" like
people think. It's narrow-minded thinking at its best.
Old August 14th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Emily" wrote in message
Jose wrote:
don't check company proprietary information.

So, what to do with my palm?

Jose

I've been getting all sorts of answers like, "oh, just do this" since this
whole thing came up. Problem is, you can't "just do that" like people
think. It's narrow-minded thinking at its best.

Well they are now going to let you carry less than 4 oz of some liquids.

Old August 14th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article gJSDg.16807$RD.14923@fed1read08, "BTIZ"
wrote:

Personally, I don't care about weight and balance. I care that I can't
take my contacts out on a transatlantic flight and that the TSA would be
shuffling through company secret information if I were to check it on a
business trip.

Wear your glasses. You can carry papers.. don't check company proprietary
information.
BT

That is completely impractical, and demonstrates absolutely no understanding
of why people travel, what people's medical needs are, the lack of security in
protecting checked luggage, and the uselessness of fighting yesterday's tactics.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 14th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
For example, if the average passenger has 10 lbs of carry-on and this
is incorporated into the estimated weight used for that passenger, and
he is suddenly required to check the carry-on, the assumed weight will
be too high by 10 lbs. This, combined with the 10 lbs extra of
measured weight in the luggage in the hold, would make the take-off
weight calculation 10 lbs high. Multiply that by hundreds of
passengers, and you have a weight that could be thousands of pounds
off.

Plus, with all that valuable stuff being checked, the TSA screeners will
steal about 10 pounds worth of stuff per passenger, making the weight
even further off.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You cannot run Windows innocently. Guilt of aiding & abetting, at
Old August 14th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
For example, if the average passenger has 10 lbs of carry-on and this
is incorporated into the estimated weight used for that passenger, and
he is suddenly required to check the carry-on, the assumed weight will
be too high by 10 lbs. This, combined with the 10 lbs extra of
measured weight in the luggage in the hold, would make the take-off
weight calculation 10 lbs high. Multiply that by hundreds of
passengers, and you have a weight that could be thousands of pounds
off.

Plus, with all that valuable stuff being checked, the TSA screeners will
steal about 10 pounds worth of stuff per passenger, making the weight
even further off.

Wouldn't it even out then? Maybe that's why they're not worried about it.