Drunk pilots

Old December 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

Default OT Telscopes (was Drunk pilots)

"N2310D" wrote in message

"Wade Hasbrouck" wrote in message

I have a 10" Mead LX200GPS "Cloud Magnet." Sitting here in Seattle
waiting for clouds to go away as it is "M42 Season" and M31 is straight
over head. :-) Hoping to get a better picture of the Horsehead this
year.

With a 10" telescope? I do most of my nebula photos with a 300mm lens on
my Canon -- although I do have it strapped to my C-8 Celestron and use
that with the equatorial drive to chase a guide star.

I have been contemplating buying another 'scope so when your cloud magnet
gets too dusty over in the corner G, send it down here to the Mojave
Desert. Our nominal cloud cover around here is "clear and a million" for
at least 300 days a year.

I've made six trips to Whidby(?sp) Island and I can unequivocally report
that the sun never shines in that part of Washington.

The astronomical society that I belong to (Eastside Astronomical Society -
www.eastsideastro.org) took over the Deception Pass Star Party this year,
and we had pretty good weather in August for it. Deception Pass is at the
north end of Whidbey, but the only problem with Deception Pass is that it is
really really really "wet" and Dew Heaters are a requirement if you want to
observe for more than 5 minutes. :-) Summers are typically pretty good
weather, but we won't admit it. :-) Eastern Washington is much better, and
much much drier.

I have done quite a bit of Piggyback astrophotography, and have that down
pretty well... I have always been working on my prime focus stuff. I have a
wedge for my LX200. I recently got the 80mm Orion Apochromatic, to mount on
the LX200 to use a guide scope, and have been manually guiding, but may move
to autoguiding. I shoot slide film, while my flight instructor is a digital
guy and uses a Canon 10D. He harasses me about "How did your pictures turn
out last night???? Oh!!! that is right you use film... :-)" but then I
tell him, "At least I don't need a portable nuclear power reactor to power
my equipment. :-)" I will probably also start doing some prime focus stuff
with the Orion scope and guiding with the 10".

My flight instructor and I go to Table Mountain every year (www.tmspa.com).
It has some pretty good dark skies, but the "Ellensburg Nebula" and
"Wenatchee Nebula" seem to get a little bigger every year.

If you are curious, if have some photos at
www.doodlespace.com/astro/gallery.htm , but I haven't posted anything from
this year yet as I have been too busy between work and getting my PPL. :-)
My instructor has some pictures at his site,
www.eastsideastro.org/observatory

Old December 10th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

If you haven't seem it
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html has a
different picture every day.

I have a nearly 100% ACCURATE METHOD OF FORECASTING THE
CLOUD COVER, that works like this. when they have a meteor
shower or storm, an eclipse, or any other event it will be
overcast in central Kansas.

"Wade Hasbrouck" wrote in
message

Old December 10th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Jim Macklin" wrote in
:

If you haven't seem it
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html has a
different picture every day.

I have a nearly 100% ACCURATE METHOD OF FORECASTING THE
CLOUD COVER, that works like this. when they have a meteor
shower or storm, an eclipse, or any other event it will be
overcast in central Kansas.

Ahhh, come on :-)

You got the tools to get above the cloud deck.

Can't say what a telescope will do for aerodynamics, or tracking a
particular astronomical object in the sky, but at least you will have a
veiw.

Allen
Old December 10th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

Default Drunk pilots

In article ,
Jon Kraus wrote:
Scott,

Are you based @ OKK? I am up there all the time in the Mooney. Yea,
yesterday was a little windy but today seems even more so... I might
take a stroll out to the airport (UMP) after the football game and bore
some holes..

8I3, a little private grass strip just southwest of OKK. I've been
using OKK a lot lately to get crosswind proficient in tailwheel planes.

--
Scott Post
Old December 10th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

In article om,
Walt wrote:

Scott Post wrote:

Wife and I flew a Cub from Kokomo to Noblesville yesterday with a
stiff South wind. Made 37 knots ground speed down, 92 back. Woulda
been faster to drive, but not nearly as fun.

You live in Kokomo? In the '70's I flew KC135's out of Grissom AFB. We
lived in Cassville, about halfway between Kokomo and Grissom.

My wife's parents will be coming to visit after xmas. I'm hoping the
weather cooperates and I can take my father-in-law for a spin in the Cub
or Champ. He'll get a kick out of overflying Grissom if they have the
tankers out on the ramp.

--
Scott Post
Old December 10th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

I prefer the solid ground for night sky viewing. I've got a
place with no nearby light pollution, millions more stars
are visible. One clear night a few years ago, there was
snow cover but no clouds at all, I was out driving by the
airport and wondered why they had the strobes running, then
I realized it was a meteor storm, the flashes were so bright
they were casting shadows on the snow and leaving smoke
trails in the sky.
It was late at night, so I stayed out several hours
watching. I made just one mistake, I told my wife about it.
She was tired and had to get up to go to her college class.
I thought she would not want to be disturbed. I told her
and she has never forgiven me.

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
8...
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in

Old December 10th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blanche

In article 43Yeh.717$IO5.584@trnddc01, N2310D wrote:

"Blanche" wrote in message
And eastern Colorado is fantastic -- until late this evening.
Temps are expected to be in the 60s out here on the plains. And
Official Winter is only 11 days away.

Of course this time last year, we were below 0F.

Global warming, El Nino, whatever.

Blanche, I've been meaning to ask what publications you write for.

Me? I'm an out-of-work computer geek. And no, I don't do windows.
Well, that's not true. I just had all the windows on the first floor of
the house replaced. Second floor and the patio door are next year.

My publications are in the academic & government arena. Look
wonderful on a CV but that's about it.
Old December 10th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

If an aircraft is taxiing out from the ramp and controllers notice

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

This question is easily researchable and doesn't require real pilots
experiences.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allen

Absolutely researchable. All you have to do is remember the fighter pilot's
golden rule on drinking and flying.
"NEVER drink and fly!!! Pull off the taxiway as you're on the way out to the
runway and drink, THEN go fly!!!"
:-)))))))
Dudley Henriques

Old December 10th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Jim Macklin" wrote in
:

I prefer the solid ground for night sky viewing.

Fully understand this!

I've got a
place with no nearby light pollution, millions more stars
are visible. One clear night a few years ago, there was
snow cover but no clouds at all, I was out driving by the
airport and wondered why they had the strobes running, then
I realized it was a meteor storm, the flashes were so bright
they were casting shadows on the snow and leaving smoke
trails in the sky.

Let me guess, the Leonids? One night flight home, saw a "fireball".
Scared the bejeebers outta me it was so bright. And like you saw, smoke
trail followed it. At first, thought it was a plane blowing up, but
having seen meteors before, I knew better just from the speed, length and
angle of the flash. More lights upstairs then downstairs on most of my
night flights :-))

It was late at night, so I stayed out several hours
watching. I made just one mistake, I told my wife about it.
She was tired and had to get up to go to her college class.
I thought she would not want to be disturbed. I told her
and she has never forgiven me.

Yep, though different situation here, it was the Northern lights. Woke
my wife up at 2 a.m. and it was -15F, but she didn't regret it! Would
love to see that from 5000 feet!

I was kinda hoping the sunspot causing the radiation commotion would have
kept up so it would kick up some northern lights, but that simmered down.
Wouuldn't have been good for the GPS network though I'd suspect?

Allen

The SSA-OLC KM Soaring 65 October 4th 06 02:00 AM
The allure of the skies beckons wannabe pilots. N9NWO Piloting 0 March 8th 05 08:58 PM
Older Pilots and Safety Bob Johnson Soaring 5 May 21st 04 01:08 AM